Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Music & Musicians > Instruments > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
An ingrowing Whale

Send a message via AIM to dnl88
Les paul or js1000

Hi, I'm torn appart in deciding in between a les paul and a joe satriani 1000. I play mainly rock, hard rock, p&w and up to metal. For soloing, which would be the best (sustain...). And can the les paul get as high a gain as the js1000.
If I want a les paul, can a high end epiphone compete with a 1000$ gibson les paul studio or other gibson les paul soundwise cos that'l be my max budget I think.

Strangeday Rock!!!!!

dnl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2004, 10:40 AM   #2

Well, those are two radically different guitars... As far as the gain, you can always just preamp the signal to get as much gain as you want - like with a 7 band EQ pedal such as a Boss, or Dan'o, any multi effects, or anything that will boost the signal. that I think. As far as Epi's vs. a Studio, the Epi's are fine guitars, but they don't have the maple cap like the gibby Studios, and will sound more like other all-mahogany guitars, like an SG (but thicker) or an all-mahogany LP like a Custom. The maple cap adds brightness, and a "snap"; a little more attack. It adds up to what I would call a little more spank to the tone. For heavy distorted tones, I would venture to say the difference is much less significant than it would be for a clean to overdrive tone.

Oh yeah, don't be misled by the Epi's and other copies with a "flame maple top" - that is a thin veneer, not an actual slab of maple. Most of the Korean and some Japanese LP copies use the veneer over a solid mahogany body.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 10:42 AM   #3
I'm on a horse.
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnl88
Hi, I'm torn appart in deciding in between a les paul and a joe satriani 1000.
Ouch... tough... In my case I got an LP. Love it.

Quote:
I play mainly rock, hard rock, p&w and up to metal.
Both can do that...

Quote:
For soloing, which would be the best (sustain...).
Well, both...

Quote:
And can the les paul get as high a gain as the js1000.
That has nothing to do with the guitar, but more to do with the amp, so both...

Quote:
If I want a les paul, can a high end epiphone compete with a 1000$ gibson les paul studio or other gibson les paul soundwise cos that'l be my max budget I think.
Get a used Gibson. I did. Very satisfied with it. As for one guitar versus the other, they're basically just two guitars that play a bit (or a lot..) differently. The JS will have the trem, and will sound and play differently because of the wood and construction. In the end, it's all up to personal preference. Try both out again and again, and pick.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:21 AM   #4
Dedicated

Send a message via MSN to Dream_Theater
Quote:
which would be the best (sustain...).
A neck-thru like the LP usually has better sustain than a bolt-on.

Quote:
And can the les paul get as high a gain as the js1000.
as rainer said thats more about the amp ... but you can always change the pickups if their not hot enough for you ... if you get the zakk wylde sig don't worry about gain

I think the neck on the JS is better for soloing and the lp better for chordal work but there both pretty versatile.

The biggest differences - locking floyd rose or tune-o-matic ... ask yourself if you really need the vibrato bar ... are you going to use the whammy bar alot? ... and basswood vs mahogony ... they both sound good to me, bass wood is nice and light, mahogony is quite heavy ... if you get a studio you don't have to worry so much but the standard lp's are heavy.
" For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual evil in high places " Ephesians 6:12 - King James

Dream_Theater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 12:09 PM   #5
An ingrowing Whale

I wouldn't have enough for a standard.
well I actually think (since it gonna be over 100$ postage from USA and that the js1000 is 1600 in germany and more in france) I'd be going in between a js100 and a les paul studio (1050Ä in germany) And since the js100 hasn't got the same quality as the js1000 I'd probably go for a les paul.

anyway, compared to my pacifica anything that quality is going to blow my head off.

Strangeday Rock!!!!!

Old 06-19-2004, 01:50 PM   #6
An ingrowing Whale

Er by the way rainer123, les pauls aren't too heavy are they? (the studios) cos' I always play standin up.

Strangeday Rock!!!!!

Old 06-19-2004, 04:23 PM   #7
The Peoples Republic, CO

go with the les paul, and let joe solo himself to death..

soloing is for suckas...

*anathema*
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 04:29 PM   #8

I'm not sure why one would be better for solos anyway, except for upper fret access - which does lend itself better to the diddly-diddly tweedly-tweedly stuff.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 05:15 PM   #9
thistledown

Quote:
Er by the way rainer123, les pauls aren't too heavy are they? (the studios) cos' I always play standin up.
i know i'm not rainer but just letting you know that les pauls are infamous for being almost the heaviest guitars in mass production. and they also have better sustain than the js100 being so light will be quite lively. satch uses a special weight that he puts on the headstock to increase sustain.
guitarfreak217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 07:12 PM   #10
I'm on a horse.
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't really mind the weight (In fact, I love it... ). It's something you really get used to. But if the weight is really a big issue with you (it isn't with me), then you might want to consider not getting the LP. It's probably not as giant-super-duper-back-breaking-heavy as some think it to be, but it can strain after prolonged playing sessions.

Old 06-20-2004, 09:50 AM   #11
Dedicated

Send a message via MSN to Dream_Theater
Quote:
The studio has a thinner body than the other lp's so it shouldn't be a problem weight wise ... I've used a standard lp since I was 15 and I haven't had any real weight problems - just try not to slouch you can develop poor posture other wise.
" For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual evil in high places " Ephesians 6:12 - King James

Dream_Theater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 09:55 AM   #12
I'm on a horse.
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Theater
The studio has a thinner body than the other lp's so it shouldn't be a problem weight wise ...
Still, it's rather heavy compared to most guitars.

Old 06-20-2004, 11:53 AM   #13
An ingrowing Whale

what do u guys think about the red wine color(looks sweet)?

Strangeday Rock!!!!!