Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-11-2004, 03:21 PM   #1

I've lost my falsetto voice!

i use to be able to sing falsetto anytime i wanted...but after a month or so of singing scales and such to extend my normal range, I can't seem to find it anymore..

any tips on how to get it back? it's really frusturating.

one possibility may be that I royally screwed up my vocal cords cause i'm singing wrong. I'll post a clip as soon as I can to make sure I stop whatever i'm doing wrong...but then again, would that really destroy my falsetto? or am I just forgetting how to get up there?

oh yeah, and how exactly does one sing with their "head voice"? is it basically the same as falsetto?

Unread 06-11-2004, 03:40 PM   #2
power chord hater

Yes, head voice and falsetto are one in the same. You should feel a switch between your chest voice and your head voice. It'll probably be somewhere around E or F for you. My falsetto isn't that great. My chest voice used to go to like an A but i'm losing it as i head more towards a baritone range than lyric tenor. I don't know if there is really an exercise to work on the falsetto. Try singing stuff that you know is to high for you: Chick stuff. Don't try to do full voice or you'll kill your vocal chords. I used to warm up with like Jennifer Knapp and stuff. She doesn't get too high so stuff like that is cool. That's just my two cents. Hope it helped.
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2004, 07:19 PM   #3
I-IV-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromonkeyx
i use to be able to sing falsetto anytime i wanted...but after a month or so of singing scales and such to extend my normal range, I can't seem to find it anymore..

any tips on how to get it back? it's really frusturating.

one possibility may be that I royally screwed up my vocal cords cause i'm singing wrong. I'll post a clip as soon as I can to make sure I stop whatever i'm doing wrong...but then again, would that really destroy my falsetto? or am I just forgetting how to get up there?

oh yeah, and how exactly does one sing with their "head voice"? is it basically the same as falsetto?
I HIGHLY doubt that you have screwed something up so bad as to take out your falsetto completely in a month. Even if you sang in a screamo band and gigged daily for two hours a night I still doubt it would completely take out your falsetto. From what I've heard singing with the wrong technique / screaming too much or screaming in a damaging way gives you nodules on your vocal chords which make it so you can't sing certain notes. But not so you can't sing with falsetto.
Unread 09-08-2005, 03:24 PM   #4

Falsetto

I'm pretty sure it's INSANLY hard to screw up your falsetto... haha. I don't really have a TON of advice here... actually none. BUT if you wanna hear some studly falsetto... Listen to track two on the Plans CD by Death Cab For Cutie.. a song called Soul Meets Body... and holy cow Ben Gibbard, the lead singer is AMAZING! That's all. I was just listening to the song and stumbled across this post. Anyway, have a good day!
soupnrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #5
Banned

You may be straining. Before I took voice lessons and learned proper vocal technique I strained and it was really hard to find my falsetto. Once I stopped straining I got my falsetto back. Chances are, you are pushing too hard to increase your range and/or not singing diaphragmatically. Give your voice a rest for as long as you need to. I had been singing wrong for about 2 years and was beginning to develop vocal nodes so my voice needed a 2 month rest before it was fully restored. Depending on how severely and how long you strained, this time will vary. You may need vocal instruction to learn how to use proper vocal technique. I sure did. Good luck,

-Jesse
fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2005, 08:39 PM   #6

I know how you feel. Last year I could sing extremely high, but for some reason this year I have like an octave gap which starts at my break between my chest and falsetto. Im having the same problem as you... and it sucks
RelientKFan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2005, 11:08 PM   #7
Banned

Yeah things like that can happen for a couple of years after your voice changes. Just be sure to give your voice rest when it needs it. About a year and a half ago, I couldn't even use my falsetto, because my voice was just in a weird phase. Now I have a really smooth falsetto. Chances are, it'll pass.
fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote