Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-26-2004, 03:32 PM   #31
likes pleasant suprises

Quote:
Capo.... Capo ??? I will recommend you to learn all the way without capo, you cannot transpose the capo for every new song you are playing in a bar chord, specially when you want to do different things in other frets, a Capo gives you no flexibility and though is easier, who said easier is better ?

Everything has a price and the price of playing without capo is high but the reward is higher than playing with capo.

I would never let a "capo person" inside of any band..... unless the band is as well filled with beginners, because capo is just for beginners. I'm a beginner and even when my hand hurts I know in the end is for the best.
If you have a guy that plays with a Capo in your band I would really chalenge/encourage him to practice more and to not choose the easy way.
some people also sing while playing a guitar.. and jumping around the fret to play chords, and singing at the same time is kinda tough.. playing in E is much easier than playing in F.. therefore you can spend less time thinking about guitaring and more time thinking about singing.. most people wouldnt really notice the difference in playing in E capo1 and F.. so what is the big deal?

actually if i could i would play barre chords.. but i got small fingers.. .. and i dont plan on being a pro guitarist anyway.. sooo yeah.. i mostly stick to my keyboard, but guitar is sometimes more fun..

smhatahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-26-2004, 03:33 PM   #32
Dedicated

Send a message via MSN to Dream_Theater
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyh
I'll ask you the same thing: Do you feel the same way about alternate tunings?
alternate tunings are not related to capos ... I could tune to any alternate tuning and throw a capo on just as I would with standard tuning ... a capo is a crutch.
" For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual evil in high places " Ephesians 6:12 - King James

Dream_Theater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 04:43 PM   #33
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
A capo is only a crutch if you make it.

You can use a crutch if you really can't walk on your own, but know that sooner or later you'll have to take the crutch off. People on crutches use physical therapy to make their legs strong enough to walk again, then don't use the crutches anymore. You can use the Capo for a while as a crutch, but don't rely on it. Eventually tou will need to learn barre chords. But then you can use the Capo for so many more better things. I don't denounce capos. I use them all the time. They're a great part of my rig. Don't use one, though, just because you can't play barre chords. Learn to play proper barre chords, then use the capo because you can play barre chords, not because you can't.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 04:48 PM   #34
Dedicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainer123
A capo is only a crutch if you make it.

You can use a crutch if you really can't walk on your own, but know that sooner or later you'll have to take the crutch off. People on crutches use physical therapy to make their legs strong enough to walk again, then don't use the crutches anymore. You can use the Capo for a while as a crutch, but don't rely on it. Eventually tou will need to learn barre chords. But then you can use the Capo for so many more better things. I don't denounce capos. I use them all the time. They're a great part of my rig. Don't use one, though, just because you can't play barre chords. Learn to play proper barre chords, then use the capo because you can play barre chords, not because you can't.
Once you've learned all the proper barre chords there is no need to use your capo anymore ... ( once you can walk you don't go back to your crutches ).
" For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual evil in high places " Ephesians 6:12 - King James

Unread 05-26-2004, 04:52 PM   #35
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarjulia
Capo.... Capo ??? I will recommend you to learn all the way without capo, you cannot transpose the capo for every new song you are playing in a bar chord, specially when you want to do different things in other frets, a Capo gives you no flexibility and though is easier, who said easier is better ?

Everything has a price and the price of playing without capo is high but the reward is higher than playing with capo.
I wonder... When was using a capo synonymous with not playing barre chords? Some people might use it that way, but it's not always so.

Quote:
I would never let a "capo person" inside of any band..... unless the band is as well filled with beginners, because capo is just for beginners. I'm a beginner and even when my hand hurts I know in the end is for the best.
If you have a guy that plays with a Capo in your band I would really chalenge/encourage him to practice more and to not choose the easy way.
I'd challenge him to not do it the easy way either, but I'd also encourage him to use his capo creatively.

Unread 05-26-2004, 04:56 PM   #36
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Theater
Once you've learned all the proper barre chords there is no need to use your capo anymore ... ( once you can walk you don't go back to your crutches ).
Why not? You can use it to change voicings, create interesting effects, increase sustain and resonance, transpose lead guitar riffs, and many other things. Capos in essence are tools, not shortcuts.

Unread 05-26-2004, 05:03 PM   #37
Dedicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainer123
Why not? You can use it to change voicings, create interesting effects, increase sustain and resonance, transpose lead guitar riffs, and many other things. Capos in essence are tools, not shortcuts.
I guess we see it in different ways ... personally I'll never use one ... I think the pros of using a capo are outnumbered but the cons ... but whatever floats your boat

Unread 05-26-2004, 05:09 PM   #38
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
I guess we see it in different ways ... personally I'll never use one ... I think the pros of using a capo are outnumbered but the cons ... but whatever floats your boat
Cool. There are a lot of guitar gadgets that I'll never personally use much either, but I always try to find great ways to use things rather then downplay them.

Unread 05-26-2004, 06:05 PM   #39
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
alternate tunings are not related to capos ... I could tune to any alternate tuning and throw a capo on just as I would with standard tuning ... a capo is a crutch.
That's too much of a generalization. If you believe that, go tell it to Paul Baloche, Chris Tomlin, etc. There are many situations where using a capo will sound better. This is coming from a guy who does not use a capo - but only because of what I play. If needed, I will use one, especially if I need to get a better sound. Remember, people will not say, "That guy sounded lame because he used a capo!" or "That guy sounded great because he didn't use a capo!" They will say, "That song sounded great!"
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 06:15 PM   #40

Send a message via AIM to elijah77jc Send a message via MSN to elijah77jc Send a message via Yahoo to elijah77jc
Quote:
if you are a skilled guitar player, what the heck are the cons to using a capo?
Unread 05-26-2004, 06:23 PM   #41
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah77jc
if you are a skilled guitar player, what the heck are the cons to using a capo?
Right - I'm going out and get me a Shubb!!!!
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 07:08 PM   #42

capos

i think some songs just dont sound right without a capo, or maybe i just havent figured out how to play them. i recnetly rediscovered "god of wonders" and the reason why it never sounded umm "correct" was because i didnt know it was capo 3 before, but yea, the words are good eihter way, hehe.
and alos i recently saw a link from bo's capos ro semothign like that talking about the cut capo adn the guy (bo i assume) was demonstrating how by using hte capo you could like hammer on entire chords and such, not to say that you cant hammer on entire barre chords like weezer in "say it aint so" but it sounds good all the same.
so yea, barrs have its uses and so do capos. i personally like the open sound, amkes it sound pretty good, especially with an acoustic.
oh and also a lot of bebo norman songs have like alternate tunings and then a capo and they sound super good! or maybe its his voice and lyrics. haha
vyctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 10:56 PM   #43

Send a message via AIM to jason_p.i.f.
i didnt read all of the posts... just to many of them... so yeah...
anyways, capo on first right? so that would make the F chord easier to play... but what if the chord progression is C-Am-F-G... wouldnt that make the other chords a lot harder to play???

romans 10:9-10
psalm 62:1
jason_p.i.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 11:45 PM   #44

Send a message via AIM to JtChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_p.i.f.
i didnt read all of the posts... just to many of them... so yeah...
anyways, capo on first right? so that would make the F chord easier to play... but what if the chord progression is C-Am-F-G... wouldnt that make the other chords a lot harder to play???
Only if you use a capo, but we were talking about playing in the key of F with Bb's and Gm's and Eb's. Playing in the key of C you can use an open form of the F which, when thinking about it, you can do in with the key of F as well, but it's probably better just to barre all of it.

or you can capo on the third fret and play in the key of A in that case, your D chord would be an F

My Xanga Site
JtChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 11:48 PM   #45
likes pleasant suprises

Quote:
Only if you use a capo, but we were talking about playing in the key of F with Bb's and Gm's and Eb's. Playing in the key of C you can use an open form of the F which, when thinking about it, you can do in with the key of F as well, but it's probably better just to barre all of it.

or you can capo on the third fret and play in the key of A in that case, your D chord would be an F
or you can pound your guitar on the floor.. and go play on the keyboard where every key is about the same difficulty..
smhatahy is offline   Reply With Quote