Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Music & Musicians > Logistics > Theory & Technique
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-24-2004, 04:49 PM   #1

Guitar arm pain

I have been playing guitar for about a year and recently I have been playing a lot for me. I have been playing like 2 or 3 hours in a row without a break and I am starting to notice that my arms (forearms) both left and right are sore and cramping after I play. I am pretty sure that it is not due to pressing to hard as I pay close attention to that and because both arms hurt. So , can anyone give me some advice ? Do I need to take a little while off , Just take breaks when playing , What?

texhorns06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-24-2004, 05:38 PM   #2
fill your lungs with air.

Send a message via AIM to Josh Send a message via MSN to Josh
Umm.. yes. 2-3 hours is great for practicing, but your arms *are* going to get tired. Just take a break. 5 minutes might even do the trick.

Josh.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2004, 05:45 PM   #3

My left arm is very "achey" sometimes when i wake up in the morning..it's always the left..i guess the guitar causes that. I can remember learning barre chords how tired my arms and hands were (but only left). Just take a break, like said before, i guess if they get sore...always did the trick for me (except for the achey thing i stated above)
fendstratplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2004, 06:09 PM   #4
Dedicated

Send a message via MSN to Dream_Theater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Barton
Umm.. yes. 2-3 hours is great for practicing, but your arms *are* going to get tired. Just take a break. 5 minutes might even do the trick.

Josh.
Every 5 minutes is not necessary ... a 10 minute break every hour is more reasonable ... make sure you stretch your arms and upperbody before any heavy practice, massaging your forearms, hands, chest and shoulders is good to and you can do this with every break ... make sure you properly warm up too, don't start shredding off hand - do some good 15 - 30 minute warmups before tackling any hard passages and what not. and remember to start slow and build up speed ... if you do all this it should take the pain away ( or at least minimize it )... I practice 6 or more hours a day so I know what your talking about ... and finally the most important thing STAY RELAXED - stay as loose as you can try not to get tensed up, its easy to get injured if your too tense for too long ( I know someone that got tendonitis because of this and its not pretty ) ... good luck.
" For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual evil in high places " Ephesians 6:12 - King James

Dream_Theater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2004, 06:36 PM   #5
fill your lungs with air.

Send a message via AIM to Josh Send a message via MSN to Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Theater
Every 5 minutes is not necessary ... a 10 minute break every hour is more reasonable ...
Hah. No, I meant a 5 minute break every once and a while.

Josh.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 12:31 AM   #6
My name's dumb I know

Can't explain the left arm besides pressing too hard...the right arm could be as simple as how you strum....if you strum with your wrist it could cause more forearm pain...I try to stum with my elbow as much as possible....(if that makes sense)....I've also found that my guitar strap makes a difference...but that could be just a wierd thing...when I play my tak the strap connects to the neck and my arm hurts a lot sooner...but on my gibson it attaches to the body and I can play more comfortably for hours..
jesusfreak86ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 06:07 AM   #7
I am Canadian!

Send a message via MSN to Saxophone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxophone
Many guitarist tend to get Carpal Tunnel syndrom simply because of the way they play, really fast strumming(over a period of time etc). If you start getting really bad shooting pains down your arm get a doc to check you out.

Saxophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 10:31 AM   #8

I would also have to say that it greatly depends on the way you strum, but also do you play sitting down like on a chair or your bed? Do you reamain standing? Or do you lay down sometimes? If I find out which position you play guitar in it may give me more of an idea. I find that when standing up, if you have your strap pretty low, your arms tend to get a little more tired from reaching down so far. When sitting down It's doesn't hurt that badly or it shouldn't. Then lying down is the worst, I know someone who actually developed carpal tunnel syndrome because of this. I dunno if that helped, I started rambling near the end, sorry.Blessings,
Nathan
Ring of a bell is offline   Reply With Quote