Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-20-2004, 10:29 AM   #1

active vs passive pickups?

hey guys,
wahts the difference between active and passive pickups? ie whast hte sound difference, price difference, etc?

vyctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-20-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
Dedicated

Send a message via MSN to Dream_Theater
Check out emg for more info on this ...
" For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual evil in high places " Ephesians 6:12 - King James

Dream_Theater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2004, 01:55 PM   #3

wait for it . . . wait for it . . .

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2004, 11:43 AM   #4
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyctr
hey guys,
wahts the difference between active and passive pickups? ie whast hte sound difference, price difference, etc?
active requires a battery, passive does not. active pickups usually have a hotter or stronger signal. as far as price goes, it all depends on the pickups. some passives are more expensive than some actives and vice versa so there's no set answer on that one.

i also find actives (judging by my emg ft in my semi-hollow tele) to be VERY clean and transparent.
Unread 05-21-2004, 12:13 PM   #5
Eaten by a grue

Do most guitar actives have phantom power?
That's why Jesus would use a 5-10 watt tube combo. Then Jesus can get that nice breakup He likes at a manageable volume. A volume that is somewhat formal but still says I'm here to party. Much like tuxedo t-shirt Jesus.
"If all experienced God in the same way and returned Him an identical worship, the song of the Church triumphant would have no symphony, it would be like an orchestra in which all the instruments played the same note." - C.S. Lewis
niangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2004, 04:02 PM   #6
distance is not doable

Send a message via AIM to Casey
Actives are harder to EQ from the amp as many active pickups are associated with a certain sound or 'theme' if you will.

Now what is VERY cool, and has always been a dream idea of mine until I actually heard Chesh mention it, are active pickups that you can actually EQ from the guitar... that sounds REALLY cool. . . but I'm very uneducated on the subject and let Chesh take it from here.

Case
Unread 05-21-2004, 04:10 PM   #7
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niangelo
Do most guitar actives have phantom power?
No. Usually it's all battery powered. This is because most amps don't provide phantom power.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2004, 09:19 PM   #8
gg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainer123
No. Usually it's all battery powered. This is because most amps don't provide phantom power.
mhm. and adding to that it's generally a 9-volt battery. and a battery lasts a loooong time.
one thing to remember, is when the cord is plugged into the guitar you're draining battery power. so if you go active, be sure and unplug the guitar if you're not playing.
Unread 05-21-2004, 09:47 PM   #9
Be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
wait for it . . . wait for it . . .
You're not gonna try to bring FBL into this are you?

Carvin has active guitars with EQ on the guitar...
Unread 05-21-2004, 10:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecockroach
You're not gonna try to bring FBL into this are you?
Oh yeah, forgot, FBL SE works better with active pickups than passive pickups, but if you have passive pickups, using FBL SE will make them sound like active pickups.

Chesh

wait for it . . . . wait for it . . . .

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
Unread 05-22-2004, 04:26 PM   #11
gg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Oh yeah, forgot, FBL SE works better with active pickups than passive pickups, but if you have passive pickups, using FBL SE will make them sound like active pickups.

Chesh
Unread 05-23-2004, 10:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg7
mhm. and adding to that it's generally a 9-volt battery. and a battery lasts a loooong time.
one thing to remember, is when the cord is plugged into the guitar you're draining battery power. so if you go active, be sure and unplug the guitar if you're not playing.
Even if the amp is off? Hmm... maybe that's why my batteries have only been lasting 3 weeks.
Visirale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2004, 10:54 AM   #13
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyctr
hey guys,
More tone shaping power from the onboard controls for one (in active pickups)...

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2004, 07:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visirale
Even if the amp is off? Hmm... maybe that's why my batteries have only been lasting 3 weeks.
Amp? Oh, you mean your main amp and not the preamp. Yeah, totally.

Chesh

Unread 05-24-2004, 12:13 PM   #15
übergeek

Active pickups typically use less coil winding and lower magnetic pull than traditional passive pickups. Instead of using high number of coil windings to develop the signal level, it is done with a preamp. The beauty of this is that the preamp can then shape the tone of the pickup and provide any level that you need. My EMG SAV sets sound very much like traditional strats and then go WAY beyond that when needed. I am not really into lots of boost on the guitar end so a system that uses active bass and treble don't interest me as much as they do on a bass. However, the SPC control boosts mids that are most associated with a humbucking pickup. It allows me to boost that level and simulate a HB out of my SC pickups when needed without the nasty side effects of having a real HB pickup (extra pull on strings, lousy bridge clean sound, etc). Through the use of the preamp, EMG is able to make a pickup that has low noise and low magnetic pull sound like almost any pickup from history by chosing the resonant peak of the pickup and the EQ curve. Very cool stuff.

Acoustics: 2003 Taylor 855ce-LTD L1 (Brazilian), 1993 Taylor 810, 2005 Taylor K4 preamp, 2006 ESP XTone PA1 (Sunburst)
Electrics: 2007 ESP Vintage Plus Distressed, 1998 Fender AmDx Fat Stratocaster (Black with EMG SAV + SPC kit), 1997 PRS CE24 (Ruby), 2006 ESP LTD EC-1000s (Sunburst)

Amps: Orange Rockerverb 50 Head and PPC212 cab

“Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.” - St. Francis of Assisi
trpullen is offline   Reply With Quote