Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-16-2004, 06:20 PM   #1

Getting a new guitar tomorrow.. reccomendations?

About six months ago I got a Hohner HW-220 acoustic guitar, it was good, but I think I have outgrown it, it was kind of cheap, $150.

Anyways, I am looking to buy a new Acoustic-Electric guitar. I want one with good tone, my old one doesn't sound to great anymore!

I was thinking of a Fender DG10-CE cutaway..

What do you guys think I should get? I honestly need some help!

Oh, things I want are:

1.For it to be a cutaway
2. It has to be acoustic-electric

My limit in money I'd say is $300, you cuold go a little over though I think. I'll be getting it tomorrow so reply fast please!

Devozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-16-2004, 06:29 PM   #2
human, wannabe

My advise is only my personal oppion and is worth only about 3/4 of a penny but many in here are pretty savy on this stuff. Since I like giving my oppion of stuff I'll go ahead a tell you that you should save a little more money and buy a 600 to $700 guitar. You will grow out of the $300 guitar faster that you did the $150 one. A $600 guitar may be all you will ever need. Find a good sale and you will find one that sounds as good as many $1800 ones.

My Gretsch listed for $900 is was on sale for $700 and I dickered them down to $500 with a hard case. Just caught the right guy at the right time. This guitar is built very well and the sound is right up there with the $2200 dollar taylor. At least to my ears it is.
rkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 07:13 PM   #3

Actually, I think that is a good idea! I have deccided to do that..

THANKS !!!!!!!!
Devozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
...anybody want a neaput?

Send a message via AIM to BurntHombre
Wow, you sure didn't require much persuading. I was just going to add that my dad has a DG10-CE and is quite happy with it.

Thing is, if you're going to save for a $700 guitar, you might as well just go a bit farther and save for a $1200 guitar. Why cheat yourself out of the instrument you deserve?
BurntHombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2004, 09:41 AM   #5
JT

I would advise doing things in a different order. First, decide what guitar you want. Take into account factors like how it plays, looks, is built, and costs. Then save your money for however much that guitar is.
Jay Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2004, 10:12 AM   #6
I play Guitar...

Excellent choice in saving. In the lower ranges you pay more for the cutaway and a/e options then anyting else, leaving you with a guitar that can be plugged in, but it has bad action and often doesn't have much in the way of tone. By saving you will dramatically increase that quality.
Unread 04-17-2004, 05:04 PM   #7
Ummmm... yeah.

Send a message via AIM to Vvildcard Send a message via MSN to Vvildcard
Quote:
Thing is, if you're going to save for a $700 guitar, you might as well just go a bit farther and save for a $1200 guitar. Why cheat yourself out of the instrument you deserve?
The quality increase you get in going from a $300 to $700 is huge, while the quality increase from a $700 to $1200 is considerably less. However, when you do hit that 1200 mark, you can start looking into getting a custom made guitar... and that is worth something.
But, on the same token, I just can't feel right giving someone advise to jump from a $150 guitar to a $1200 guitar. So I'm with the other guy, shoot for something in the $600 to $700 range. The biggest thing is being patient and making sure you're getting what you really want. Saying you're gonna go down to the store tomorrow, and you're not leaving without a guitar is foolish in my book.

Ryan
Vvildcard
Vvildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2004, 06:31 PM   #8
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I reccomend not buying one immediately. Find one you like. Then wait a few days or so, and play it at the place or try out other guitars, then you can buy it. Like Vvildcard said, be patient.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote