Question Gsus?

How do you play this chord? Thanks.

-Psalm 23:4
WWJD-1John2:6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-18-2001, 04:25 PM   #2
I'm an idiot!

Send a message via AIM to maadio
There's a bunch o' ways. you could do 320013 or 355533, just to name a few... I guess you could also do 7799107, but that's kinda stretchin' it... (I added the bold text to set the "10" aside as one number... it woulda looked freaky otherwise...)

-andy
Unread 09-18-2001, 08:45 PM   #3

Actually, although 320013 is a common fingering used when Gsus is written, it isn't technically a Gsus. You need to mute the A string (i.e., 3x0013), because a Gsus chord is only supposed to have the notes G, C and D in it, and the second fret A string note is a B.

It usually sounds O.K. even if you don't mute the A string (I sometimes play 320013 even though I know it is technically wrong).
N.tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2001, 09:00 PM   #4
Very nice!

paid
Send a message via AIM to Brent
We had this thread once already... 'Cuz I remember trying to be funny with my "Jesus Chord" jokes...

There's also a huge chord chart here on the site:

http://www.christianguitar.ws/chords/chordchart.txt

Brent
You're an immigrant, too!
Who's using who?
What should we do?
Well, you can't be a pimp and a prostitute too!

The White Stripes - "Icky Thump"
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2001, 09:42 AM   #5

hehh Jesus chord...

i remember that thread
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2001, 09:53 AM   #6
i love the fishes.

o, LOL! I remember that.......anywayskies....I play Gsus like 300033. Dunno if its the best way but it works.
zoe r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2001, 10:12 AM   #7
Artistic Musician

Send a message via AIM to OnFireForGod
Quote:
Originally posted by N.™
Actually, although 320013 is a common fingering used when Gsus is written, it isn't technically a Gsus. You need to mute the A string (i.e., 3x0013), because a Gsus chord is only supposed to have the notes G, C and D in it, and the second fret A string note is a B.

It usually sounds O.K. even if you don't mute the A string (I sometimes play 320013 even though I know it is technically wrong).

Actually G is made up of these three notes....G, B, & D...not G, C, & D. C is not a note used in the technical G. I could explain this more but i don't have time right now. All i have time to say now is that all chords are made up of 3 notes the 1, 3, & 5 notes is what they are called. So if G is 1 (because its the root note)...3 would be B, and 5 would be D. SO G is made up of G, B, & D. The way i play Gsus is 320035 (which im pretty sure is the correct way to play it). It a great chord. I especially like this progression...

D:000232
to
Dsus:000233
to
G:320033
to
Gsus:320035

Anways if you want the better explainasion on what i said pm me.
OnFireForGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2001, 10:56 AM   #8
I'm an idiot!

Quote:
originally posted by OnFireforGod
Actually G is made up of these three notes....G, B, & D...not G, C, & D. C is not a note used in the technical G. I could explain this more but i don't have time right now. All i have time to say now is that all chords are made up of 3 notes the 1, 3, & 5 notes is what they are called. So if G is 1 (because its the root note)...3 would be B, and 5 would be D. SO G is made up of G, B, & D. The way i play Gsus is 320035 (which im pretty sure is the correct way to play it). It a great chord. I especially like this progression...
Umm... Yes, I agree that G itself is just G, B, and D... But Gsus is made up of G, C, and D. The C is the 4th nothe in the scale, which is what makes a suspended chord. I guess if you really wanted a Gsus chord, you'd play 330013... That would take care of both of the B's that you'd normally find...

Hehehe Jesus chord... Good times...
Unread 09-22-2001, 12:29 PM   #9
Artistic Musician

Send a message via AIM to OnFireForGod
Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up for me .
<center><a href="http://www.consuming-fire.net/home.php"><font color="#3D3F8D"><b>Click here to visit my NEW bands website! We are Ever-Present.</b></font></a><br><font face="Comic Sans MS" font color="#3F639F">"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble."<br>Psalm 46:1</font></b></center>
OnFireForGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2001, 06:32 PM   #10
My famlily

hehe, I thought someone was looking to find Jesus, shows how much I know.
Unread 09-22-2001, 07:17 PM   #11

haha yeah
Unread 09-23-2001, 01:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Actually G is made up of these three notes....G, B, & D...not G, C, & D. C is not a note used in the technical G
You are right that G is made up of G, B, and D. But the chord under discussion is Gsus, which is G, C, D. By the way, normally 'sus' means 'sus4'.

When you have a sus4 chord, the third of the plain major chord is raised up a semitone (to a fourth), so with Gsus4 the B from G major is raised up to C, and you don't play the B. On the other hand, a sus2 chord has the third lowered a tone to the second, so Gsus2 would be G, A, D.

G (major) = G, B, D
Gsus4 = G, C, D
Gsus2 = G, A, D

Quote:
The way i play Gsus is 320035 (which im pretty sure is the correct way to play it).
The fingering you give is not a sus chord at all. As I said above, 'sus' without a number normally means 'sus4', but your chord doesn't have a C in it. 320035 has the notes GBDGDA, which is a Gadd9. Although some people call that chord G2 it is not a Gsus2 because it has the third (B) in it.

Thanks,

N.™

P.S. Do you really play D 000232? Or do you mean xx0232? If you play the low E string you are really playing D/E. If you play the A string (but not the low E string) you are playing D/A.
N.tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2001, 05:38 AM   #13

i dont understand how you could not hit the top 2 strings when you are playing fast or even playing slow for that matter....

and I REALLY dont get how you could play the 6th strng skip the 5th, and then play 4 through 1...
Unread 09-23-2001, 06:10 AM   #14
I'm an idiot!

yeah... that's why I don't bother muting... I just use third fret on that string...
Unread 09-23-2001, 06:01 PM   #15
N.

Quote:
and I REALLY dont get how you could play the 6th strng skip the 5th, and then play 4 through 1...
If you need to play every string except one in the middle (e.g., the A string), you can mute the unwanted string by using a spare left-hand finger to touch it lightly, but not actually press it down. Then when your right hand strums across all the strings the A string will just make a dull thunk rather than a specific note, and you don't really hear the thunk due to the noise made by strumming across the other (unmuted) strings.

As an example, to play Gsus using the fingering 3x0013, start with a normal G chord (320003) with ring finger on the low E string 3rd fret, middle finger on the A string 2nd fret, and little finger on the high E 3rd fret. To change it to a Gsus, simply press down the B string 1st fret with your index finger while lifting your middle finger so it's not pressing the A string but is still touching it enough to mute it.

If you did't have any spare fingers, you could angle the finger that is fretting on the low E string so that it is touching the side of the A string enough to mute it.

Clear as mud?

N.™