wat a good but not too xpensive i should buy

J.W4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-14-2004, 07:17 AM   #2
"JESUS LIVES"

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W4Christ
wat a good but not too xpensive i should buy
What are you replacing or setting up new?

Re: Strat, Tele, LP, Flying-V, ES-335, Solid, Thin, or Hollow Body ?

Do you like open or closed coils?
Unread 04-14-2004, 07:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket
What are you replacing or setting up new?

Re: Strat, Tele, LP, Flying-V, ES-335, Solid, Thin, or Hollow Body ?

Do you like open or closed coils?
Excellent question.

Whatever the case, Duncans are you're best bet, tho if they end up being a little pricey, there are other good alternatives. I'll see what I can find. (I don't know offhand because I only ever use Duncans and EMG's.)

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2004, 07:52 AM   #4
...anybody want a neaput?

Send a message via AIM to BurntHombre
And are you even talking about electric guitar pickups? Or acoustic? Details, man! We need details!! Without them, we die!
BurntHombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2004, 08:14 AM   #5
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
We need details!! Without them, we die!
*keels over*

*resuccitates*

Well, I've heard good things aobut the Duncan Performer series. They're supposed to be pretty much like the real deal, except made overseas.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2004, 07:52 PM   #6
human, wannabe

I am no expert on these matters but if you are going to replace your pickups with better ones you probably should get the good ones as opposed to the cheap ones.

I put the emg-81's($239 installed) on my semi-hollow Ibanez and it sounds like a complete different guitar. The emg's came with new pod's and all that I was very happy with the change. I liked the way the guitar felt and looked so pouring money in it to make it sound better was the right thing to do.

You could say it saved me about $2100. You see I was looking at a new Gretsch but after all this I think I've got my wild hair under controll. At least for a little while.
rkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2004, 05:18 AM   #7
old & cranky

Do you play death metal on that semi-hollow body? I thought EMG 81's were the grind-core pickup of choice because you can get a big fake low-end out of them.
Unread 04-15-2004, 06:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud
Do you play death metal on that semi-hollow body? I thought EMG 81's were the grind-core pickup of choice because you can get a big fake low-end out of them.
Specific brands and/or genres of pickups and/or guitars have no bearing on style or genre of music played, or vice versa. That's all marketing hype, which has thus transmuted into "conventional wisdom". (And obviously the pickup and guitar companies love this because any niche marketing and "official instrument of" marketing they can do increases their bottom line big time.)

It all gets down to what sound you want and where that sound happens to be located, but no guitar or pickup is the official custodian of that particular sound. They just might lean a bit in that direction a bit more than another brand. Nothing more.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
Unread 04-15-2004, 08:27 AM   #9
I'm on a horse.

Plus, you can get a very nice clean, jazzy sound out of an EMG. All about how you EQ it. Also, I thought EMGs were a favorite for heavy metal because they're so darn quiet and give a hot signal.

Unread 04-15-2004, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainer123
Plus, you can get a very nice clean, jazzy sound out of an EMG. All about how you EQ it. Also, I thought EMGs were a favorite for heavy metal because they're so darn quiet and give a hot signal.
Exactly! See, that's the thing. I'm beginning to think that all these genric predilections may just be acknowledgements of performance rather than anything particularly sonic. Like, EMG's can crank, and metal guys like pickups that crank, or something like that.

I mean, a Strat has shown up in every genre of rock, blues, country, and so on (tho Tele's reign in country) and they are all essentially the same guitar.

And we all know how Teles are total heavy rocking metal guitars as well.

wait for it . . . wait for it . . .

Chesh

Unread 04-15-2004, 02:34 PM   #11
I'm on a horse.

What? This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Don't confuse a specific style of guitar with the commonly associated musical genre.

IOW, I often see threads here which go on about how if you play Metal, you need an B.C Rich or an Iby, where as if you play Classic Rock, you need a Strat or LP, etc. Well, that's a very persistant myth.

It all get's down to what sound you are looking for and how best to create it.

Now, to best illustrate this point, here is a story I related in another post, but it warrants a closer look.

This is a mind-bending experience I had that settled this issue for me once and for all. Well, two experiences, actually.

Now, first, I know this sounds like a cliche, but the sound is really in your hands, and no guitar in and of itself, can dictate a particular style of music, even tho we often associate Tele's with Nashville, Strats with blues and classic rock, and Ibanez with shredders. And the guitar companies capitalize on these biases to the hilt! But it's not always the case.

Cases in point: Motorhead and Ted Nugent!

The Nuge was always a hard, rollicking rocker (and no doubt one of Zakk Wylde's inspirations and role-models), yet his main Axe is a Gibby ES-175!! You know, the Jazz and Rockabilly guitar!?! For real!

As far as Motorhead goes, check out this experience I had:

If I said the word "Telecaster", what would be the first thing that would pop into your mind? "Grand Ole' Opry", right? Chicken picken', eh? Mom's country albums, or some 1950's rockabilly, right? Fair enough. The Tele is, I think, probably the official instrument of Nashville, second maybe only to the acoustic guitar, or fiddle.

But what if I told you that my most memorable Tele experience was The Heaviest, Most Intense, Heavy Metal Song of All Time? Surprised? Well, I was!!!

I was watching some videos several years ago, and there was this awesome song by a band called MotorHead. They were the most intense band of their time, back in the 80's and were the inspiration of many bands since. Motorhead and Iron Maiden were probably the two hardest bands from England. Judas Priest would be the third. Talk about Monster tone!!!!

Remember, a lot of these guys were bikers, or hung out in or dug on that whole scene. They weren't trying to get their guitars to sound heavier than the next guy, but rather they were trying to get their guitars to sound like Harleys!!!! Way way cool!

So, I hear Motorhead's new song on the radio all the time. "The Iron Fist!!" BTW, to answer your question, yes, it is as hard as the name implies. But, and here's a key, it was also way, way bluesy. Very bluesy. Very fast, very loud, very intense, very visceral, very pummeling, and very very bluesy. It was the fastest song of it's time. This was before Metallica and being fast just for the sake of being fast. (Not that Metallica was all about being fast just for the sake of being fast, but a lot of copycat bands didn't get that and ended up just being speed-demons and little else.)

So, I would hear this song, and imagine what it was like to see them in concert! I had seen viddies of other bands, those not nearly so intense. A lot of "hair bands" and what not, and they had all these crazy guitars that looked like medieval torture devices, or pink guitars with crazy graphics on them. So couple that with seeing Motorheads album with all sorts of Biker imagery with flames, skulls and crossbones, and Harleys, and you can imagine what I was thinking the band would look like, what kind of "battle axe" or "war-hammer" guitars they probably played, and so on.

Wow, I could imagine, like, a guitar made with human skulls on it and metal spikes or something crazy like that.

So, one day I'm flipping channels, and I run across the video for "Iron Fist"!! Wow, here it is!! I heard the opening riffs and then I cranked it! And it was really cool! They were awesome. It was shot during a live concert, so you could see how good they were live.

Well, they go in for the close-ups, and, would you believe, Lemmy was playing a RICKENBACKER JAZZ BASS and the guitar player was playing a FENDER TELECASTER!!!! I mean, they might as well have been a Jazz Trio or something!!

Well, they sure didn't sound like a Jazz Trio, that's for sure!

They did things with those instruments that I didn't know you could do with a Tele and a Ric. Not at all. And I was a big fan of Geddy Lee from RUSH at the time, so I knew what a Ric could do, for instance.

THE IRON FIST - My vote for title of The Heaviest, Most Intense, Heavy Metal Song of All Time - played on a Tele and a Ric? Wow! Major revelation.

It really isn't about the guitar you play, but what you play.

For instance, there right now are some Epi Goth guitars right now. They are just Epiphones, only they look gothy. Great if you are into that, but what's the difference between these and regular Epiphones? The black paint? [Editorial note: I believe all the Goth Gibson's have been discontinued . . . they do that a lot these days, don't they? - Chesh]

Or why is it that a totally stock Fender Strat has shown up in virtually every single musical genre and style, without exception? Or a Tele for that matter? Or, even a P-Bass or a Ric?

It all get's down to what you are looking for, sound-wise, and going after that, regardless of what is supposed to be hardcore, or goth, or heavy-metal, or speed-metal, or punk, or any of that.

Anyway, food for thought.

And a lot of that stuff, sonically - whether the sound is "chunky" or "bright" or what not - often get's down to effects, EQ, the amp you use and how you adjust your settings, and so forth.

You could always argue that a Tele is too bright and twangy for metal, but then the above story kind of sheds a new light on that, eh? Or should that be shreds?

Chesh

Unread 04-15-2004, 03:17 PM   #12
I play Guitar...

EXACTLY what I was thinking!
Unread 04-15-2004, 04:02 PM   #13
I'm on a horse.

Hey, J.W4Christ, what kind of sound are you looking for?

Unread 04-15-2004, 06:30 PM   #14
He is coming..

Send a message via MSN to J.W4Christ Send a message via Yahoo to J.W4Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainer123
Hey, J.W4Christ, what kind of sound are you looking for?
oh sorry mine is electric guita. i m nt really sure about wat sound to chose
J.W4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2004, 06:47 PM   #15
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W4Christ
oh sorry mine is electric guita. i m nt really sure about wat sound to chose
Well, what sound do you want that you can't get out of your pickups now? If you don't know, than you might be better off with the stock pups.