Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-29-2004, 05:07 PM   #1

Official Songbooks:Trustworthy?

Sites like this are great for getting guitar tabs for free, but because of some legal rules, many tabs don't have lyrics by the chords. Now, I have a very hard time hearing chord changes, so real songbooks would be helpful so I can figure out where the changes go in relationship to the lyrics. My question is, are these official songbooks usually trustworthy? Meaning, are they accurate and informative for the large percent of the time? Here are some specific books I was wondering about:
Radiohead, Ok Computer
Radiohead, The Bends
Radiohead, Kid A
Radiohead, Hail To The Thief
Eric Clapton, Unplugged
U2, The Joshua Tree
Any of Switchfoots(do they have songbooks for these?)

Thanks for your help.

Unread 02-29-2004, 05:23 PM   #2
seeking God

I dont know about those songbooks, but my general experience playing out of them is that they often have chords to the song, but they don't show how the band actually plays things. This makes sense, the band doesn't want to give away all its secrets. This especially shows up when the guitarist uses alternate tunings. Rarely do the books have solos written out, even in staff notation. they can be helpful for figuring out keys, progressions, and lyrics/rhythms.

David
Unread 02-29-2004, 08:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvChWi
Sites like this are great for getting guitar tabs for free, but because of some legal rules, many tabs don't have lyrics by the chords. Now, I have a very hard time hearing chord changes, so real songbooks would be helpful so I can figure out where the changes go in relationship to the lyrics. My question is, are these official songbooks usually trustworthy? Meaning, are they accurate and informative for the large percent of the time? Here are some specific books I was wondering about:
Radiohead, Ok Computer
Radiohead, The Bends
Radiohead, Kid A
Radiohead, Hail To The Thief
Eric Clapton, Unplugged
U2, The Joshua Tree
Any of Switchfoots(do they have songbooks for these?)

Thanks for your help.
Okay . . .

Piano/Voice/Guitar books? NEVER.

Gutiar TAB, "As Recorded" books? More often than not, but keep your receipt and meticulously check the book against the source material (the CD).

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2004, 08:32 PM   #4
Why am I still here?

Just go to www.power-tab.net and d/l the program. Then look on www.powertabs.net for free power tabs, or elsewhere where you can find them. I've found most of these to be relatively accurate, plus you can play them back and hear the whole song while highlighting each note so you know the rhythm of the changes, etc. Plus its all free, so you dont have to shell out the extra cash for those books.
Unread 03-01-2004, 12:27 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to elijah77jc Send a message via MSN to elijah77jc Send a message via Yahoo to elijah77jc
it really just depends on the book. when you buy the tab books you have to understand that the actually group has absolutely not part in making them. the producers hire musicians to make the book by just listening to it and figureing it out. sometimes it is note for note perfect, sometimes its note for note perfect but they play it on different parts of the neck, and sometimes they just suck.

perfect example: Third Day Come Together.
Unread 03-01-2004, 03:10 AM   #6
The People's

Check the book. If they just have chords, then they're not showing how the band actually plays the song. If they have the notes or tab that actually show how the song is played, then you're usually okay. I've got a couple books, and they're pretty good. My Weezer - Maladroit book is especially thorough with the guitar parts.

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace
"I get excited about lima beans!" ~Pre-Ex-Girlfriend

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.
Song of Songs 2:15

zXe
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2004, 11:22 AM   #7

Well, if the music in the book was printed on a basic grand staff and, vertically, a small number of notes (IOW, no 5 or 6 note stacks) then odds are it's piano music, and not guitar music. And you can't play piano music on guitar without either a) the piano music is specifically arranged for guitar, in terms of ranger and voicing, or b) without significant adaptation.

Either way, that's a problem.

At the very least, with TABs, you're always in the guitar range. The only concern then would be accuracy.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying

Last edited by CheshireCat; 03-01-2004 at 11:30 AM.
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2004, 03:53 PM   #8
The People's

No, I'm referring to guitar music written on the grand staff. I've seen several official songbooks that use piano or classical notation rather than the more recent TAB notation. Classical music for guitar doesn't use TAB either.

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace
"I get excited about lima beans!" ~Pre-Ex-Girlfriend

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.
Song of Songs 2:15

zXe
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2004, 04:00 PM   #9
I am Canadian!

Send a message via MSN to Saxophone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxophone
I find the written music is more correct often that not over tab. It depends on the complexity of the song being written out.

Saxophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2004, 05:23 PM   #10
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparentlyNothing
Just go to www.power-tab.net and d/l the program. Then look on www.powertabs.net for free power tabs, or elsewhere where you can find them. I've found most of these to be relatively accurate, plus you can play them back and hear the whole song while highlighting each note so you know the rhythm of the changes, etc. Plus its all free, so you dont have to shell out the extra cash for those books.
I do that. Those are very meticulously cheaacked, and are often more correct then official Tab books. "Official" Tab books are rarely written by the artists themselves. I never use them...

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2004, 05:37 PM   #11

Thanks, guys. That power tab software is really good. Much cheaper than songbooks, too.
Unread 03-02-2004, 06:22 AM   #12
Engaged to be married!

I have a couple of Coldplay tab books published by Wise Publications, they are really good and accurate

they also give the alternative tunings etc. and all significant riffs as well as the main rhythm guitar parts. they are great however the only problem is that each song is spread over 5 or 6 pages so sometimes turning pages mid riff can be a problem but otherwise they are excellent

God Bless, Rich
Rich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2004, 11:36 AM   #13
need a job in Rapid City

I had the joshua tree songbook. Sure it tells you what chords the edge is playing, but good luck figuring out the effects that guy uses and how he gets all his loops running....
bpeltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2004, 12:44 PM   #14

Quick question: I've been using that PowerTab program, and I've found alot of functionality in it, but theres one simple thing I can't figure out how to do for the life of me: How the heck do I slow down the tempo to a speed I can play along with at first?
Unread 03-02-2004, 01:00 PM   #15
Why am I still here?

First, mark down whatever the tempo is set at originally. Then find the tempo marker (its a quarter note followed by a "=" on the toolbar). Click that and set the tempo there. I'm not sure if that will work, but its worth the try.