Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-29-2004, 02:43 PM   #1
jars.forlife

Send a message via AIM to xconsecratedx Send a message via MSN to xconsecratedx
Taylor 315ce...maybe???? help!

Hi. Well..ok..yesterday I went to buy new guitar strings and ended up sitting down and playing a few Taylors (my fleeing from tempation ended in failure,lol)..and well, I really liked the 315CE. Its a 2003, so it still has the Fishman electronics... The thing is, its on sale from $1828 down to $1099..

But people have told me that the Taylor 300 series are wonderful guitars, but I could do better.. The thing is,I might be going to Michigan in July to play guitar in the worship band at this youth camp..and really, my Takamine can't really cut it. So I NEED a new guitar.

So I was wondering.. what is all your opinions on the 300's, specfically the 315ce..the Fishman electronics, and just it in general. Is it worth the $$? Or should I hope for the best and try to find a new 2004 model with the Expression System..and hope they have some crazy cheap prices?

Any advice would be SOOOO appreciated. Thanks

Its all His,
Kyle (the girl)

<-me trying to decide

xconsecratedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-29-2004, 03:26 PM   #2

Well, as a Taylor owner, some might say that I have a jaded opinion. However, after researching these guitars, reading about them as much as possible on the web, playing as many as I can get my hands, on, etc., I can only say that they're some of, if not THE best acoustic that I've ever had the privilege of playing. Their workmanship is impeccable, their tone is beautiful, and Bob Taylor himself is a born-again Christian!

As for the 315 you mentioned, are you actually referring to the 314 instead? The 315 is a 12-string, whereas the 314 is a 6-string Grand Auditorium body style. You didn't specify 12 or 6-string. Just wanted to clarify which one it is that you're actually referring to. As for the price drop from $1800 to $1100, I dare say that's nothing more than a numbers game: the "$1800" figure being the oh-so-misleading "list price"? I could be wrong on that. The 315 is undoubtedly more expensive than the 314, but in the event that you're actually referring to the 314 (I'm not sure), it never sells for $1800. Never. Still though, $1100 is a great deal for it. How much does the 2004 with the Expression System cost at that store? If it's only a hundred or two-hundred more, I'd actually say to go for it instead. The quality of tone from it (and it's feedback-free amplification) is worth the extra $$.

My $.02.

PacifiCustom Pedals
ryanspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2004, 03:44 PM   #3
...anybody want a neaput?

Send a message via AIM to BurntHombre
Quote:
Originally Posted by xconsecratedx
The thing is,I might be going to Michigan in July to play guitar in the worship band at this youth camp..and really, my Takamine can't really cut it. So I NEED a new guitar.
What's wrong with the Takamine? Or are you just rationalizing your GAS?

Not that I'm condemning GAS, just wondering what could make a guitar unworthy for use at a youth camp.
BurntHombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2004, 04:15 PM   #4
Why am I still here?

I have a Taylor 310, and I would have to say that the 300 series are still VERY nice sounding, they just dont have a lot of the bells and whistles that the higher series Taylors have. If you can get expression system 300 series, then you would have for yourself a VERY FINE guitar.
Unread 02-29-2004, 05:00 PM   #5
jars.forlife

hmmm..

first...well, the one i'm looking at is a 6 string jumbo,at least according to here: http://216.120.92.69/guitars/models/models.asp?id=315ce Unless, my lovely guitar store has their labels messed up,lol...

about my Tak..its just, I don't know..I don't like it very much. Its a nice little guitar, but it's just a pain to play sometimes.. like it has phases and just starts buzzing at things and it like..detunes itself in mid song on some occassions..I don't know, just compared to a Taylor..its just..blah.So maybe I am rationalizing my expensive want *cough*need*cough*..*grin*

*Still trying to decide* If I get it..I have to decide soon, my luck..it'll be gone,lol
Unread 02-29-2004, 05:14 PM   #6
I am Canadian!

Send a message via MSN to Saxophone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxophone
get a 12 string. I was playing the model mentioned last week. Sounded sweet. Remember camp kids at youth group aren't very big on the sound of your guitar, so I think it's GAS lol can't say I blame you I would do the same if I had the money.

Saxophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2004, 05:19 PM   #7
seeking God

the 315 is a 6 string, the 355 is a 12 string.

quick taylor model number lesson-

first number in this case 3, is the series number
second number indicates number of strings, 1 for a 6 string, 5 for a 12 string
third number indicates body shape

0-Dreadnought
2-grand concert
4-grand auditorium
5-jumbo

Now biased Taylor owner opinion. I will first say that fishman electronics work great, even though I'm bummed I bought my K14ce right before the expression system came out.
I can't personally speak for the 3xx series, I have never played one, but I would say, check out the other body shapes before you buy. I thought about getting a 615ce, but it was too big of a guitar for fingerpicking. If you mainly do rhythm strumming, then a jumbo would be great.
Also, their revoiced(they changed the bracings this year) dreadnought is getting very good reveiws.

I hope you get a great guitar that you love!
Unread 03-01-2004, 10:22 AM   #8

Ahhhhhh, that's right. I couldn't remember off the top of my head at the time I posted, just which number designation was the 12-string. I do remember there being a new 12-string Grand Auditorium model from Taylor and I was thinking for some reason that it was the x15 series...

I'd say "GO FOR IT!". Of course, I WOULD wait for one with the Expression System on it. It'd be worth the extra couple-hundred $$

PacifiCustom Pedals
ryanspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2004, 11:04 AM   #9
JT

You want to travel...to a camp, no less...with a brand new Taylor? Sounds like a bad plan to me...
Jay Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2004, 12:41 PM   #10
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea
You want to travel...to a camp, no less...with a brand new Taylor? Sounds like a bad plan to me...
ditto. no way i'd take a $1000 + guitar to camp like that.

and that's why i won't buy a guitar that expensive anyways, heh. if i had a guitar that expensive it would be babied so much i wouldn't get much use out of it. i wouldn't be able to easily replace it.

maybe check out the taylor big baby and get a GOOD pickup installed in it.
it sounds and plays good and is more portable. and the majority of people won't know that you've got a $300 guitar instead of a $1000 guitar unplugged or plugged (actually it'll sound better plugged if you get one of the better pickups rather than the tried and true but outdated fishman). people who aren't guitarists which is most people (even some who are guitarists) just can't tell the difference. they know 'sounds good' or 'sounds bad'. and that guitar sounds good.

as another option, ever considered taking your takamine in to get a professional set up done? i'm not sure what the charge would be in your area,
but i'd hope not over $50. i'm wondering what the model of your tak is.
Unread 03-01-2004, 01:01 PM   #11
This Space for rent

Holy Wow, I just looked at the prices on Taylor's and I came to the realization I will probably never own one lol
Unread 03-01-2004, 04:25 PM   #12
jars.forlife

*gulp* i just bought one...
Unread 03-01-2004, 04:33 PM   #13
JT

You crazy fool!

*wishes he could up and spend a thousand dollars on anything but debts*
Jay Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2004, 05:01 PM   #14
This Space for rent