Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-27-2004, 04:43 PM   #1
!MUDVAYNE FAN!

I got a sound clip of me! Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Here's the clips of me singing...hope you like...and please give comments and tips! I need them! I never sang before and never had any training...so it's bad!

The 0JMPM5K.mp3 is the song I'm going to sing...this is the real songs part...so you know how it goes so listen to this first.

Oh yeah! The 1WMPM5K.mp3 and 2WMPM5K.mp3 means I'm going with the music.

1WOMPM5K.mp3 and 2WOMPM5K.mp3 means that I'm going without music.

Last thing is that I lose my breathe in this part, you'll notice...

Help me all you want because that's why I did this, to get better at singing!

Thrice
Incubus
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Lostprophets

Lostprophets Fan Website
Powerman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-03-2004, 06:32 PM   #2
!MUDVAYNE FAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerman5000
Here's the clips of me singing...hope you like...and please give comments and tips! I need them! I never sang before and never had any training...so it's bad!

The 0JMPM5K.mp3 is the song I'm going to sing...this is the real songs part...so you know how it goes so listen to this first.

Oh yeah! The 1WMPM5K.mp3 and 2WMPM5K.mp3 means I'm going with the music.

1WOMPM5K.mp3 and 2WOMPM5K.mp3 means that I'm going without music.

Last thing is that I lose my breathe in this part, you'll notice...

Help me all you want because that's why I did this, to get better at singing!
come on guys help me out here
i finally built courage to do this...I know it's REALLY BAD...okay...i know that...but I want to improve...course i did record that the day i started singing...but still please help me out here!!!thanx
Thrice
Incubus
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Lostprophets

Lostprophets Fan Website
Unread 03-04-2004, 07:52 AM   #3
Moo.

Send a message via MSN to _maranatha
Sorry dude, haven't got the time right now to listen... when I get a chance, hpefully later on today.. I will listen and post.. Sorry! But I promise I will be back.. :-D

-Rhonda.
Gladly for aye we adore Him.
_maranatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2004, 04:01 PM   #4
!MUDVAYNE FAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhonda_schofiel
Sorry dude, haven't got the time right now to listen... when I get a chance, hpefully later on today.. I will listen and post.. Sorry! But I promise I will be back.. :-D

-Rhonda.
okay...thanx a lot
Thrice
Incubus
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Lostprophets

Lostprophets Fan Website
Unread 03-05-2004, 04:28 PM   #5
power chord hater

my advice..

aight, here's my two cents...

First of all, it's really hard to tell anything because ur doing more whispering than singing. When you sing, let it all out man. This will take away some of the nasalness (is that a word? ) Neways, open your throat, take good breaths (from your diaphram not your lungs), decent posture (stand up straight), all that fun stuff. This will improve your tone.

As far as the song...
Your trying to sound just like him. DON'T! Be your own person. It's alright to have influences and i know if your gonna sing that song you want it to sound the same. But find your own voice. Ummm, don't be scared when you sing...you sound really timid. One thing that helped me was to sing with loud music, this way you can really belt stuff out and not worry about being too loud. Try that.

Question: What are you doing this for? Just trying to improve singing or trying to get in a band? What kind of style are you going for with singing? My tips are just kinda general but if you could narrow it down i'm sure we could give ya some better advice. Keep it up and remember who you're singing to~
...hope this helped...
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2004, 05:32 PM   #6
!MUDVAYNE FAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle
Question: What are you doing this for? Just trying to improve singing or trying to get in a band? What kind of style are you going for with singing? My tips are just kinda general but if you could narrow it down i'm sure we could give ya some better advice. Keep it up and remember who you're singing to~
...hope this helped...
I'll try singing louder stuff...but the reason I'm doing this is because I love to write and I want to express what I write by singing...then I'll get a band and play it. But I'm going to try to play stuff like that and some metal too...but I have been working on singing and I have been improving because like I said before "I recorded that the day I started to sing" so I've improved. I'll record some more and play some louder stuff...be back with some new recordings soon!
Thrice
Incubus
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Lostprophets

Lostprophets Fan Website
Unread 03-05-2004, 07:59 PM   #7
power chord hater

awesome man, keep it up!
Unread 03-11-2004, 06:07 PM   #8
!MUDVAYNE FAN!

I got two more songs for you guys to hear, they're not good singing but that's why I need help so try and give me some advice on these songs here! But it was a bit hard for me to sing a lot louder then usually! THANX!

P.S.- One of the songs I sing they scream in parts and I didn't because I can't scream, but I can scream how they scream in a wispery voice. So how do they scream? I thought mabye they sing in the wispery voice but turn up the volumn but then they would have to turn it down everytime they sang normal and at the concerts I went to I didn't see anyone messing with the volumns. Then I thought they just sang quite at about the level they scream at but not in a wispery voice and just cranked up the volumn so it sounds like they're singing normal...but I don't know. If you know how they scream then tell me but make sure you give me singing tips! THANX GUYS!
Thrice
Incubus
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Lostprophets

Lostprophets Fan Website

Last edited by Powerman5000; 03-11-2004 at 06:14 PM.
Unread 03-17-2004, 12:51 PM   #9
Israeli Dude

Here are my couple of cents:
* Sing louder. Don't be afraid. Singing sounds better than whispering.
* Sing closer to the microphone.
* If you want to sing like the guy on the recording, make sure it is good with your voice.
* Train to stay in key
Xakep_INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2004, 05:17 PM   #10
!MUDVAYNE FAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xakep_INC
Here are my couple of cents:
* Sing louder. Don't be afraid. Singing sounds better than whispering.
* Sing closer to the microphone.
* If you want to sing like the guy on the recording, make sure it is good with your voice.
* Train to stay in key
thanx man...ill work on that
Thrice
Incubus
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Lostprophets

Lostprophets Fan Website
Unread 03-19-2004, 02:09 PM   #11
power chord hater

aight

k, this is probably gonna sound a lot like my first post but hopefully with some more practical stuff.

1) Get away from singing this style for a while. If this is where you want to get, awesome. but right now u need to focus on finding your voice instead of mimicing what you hear. That is what the guys that you are listening to did before they got to where they are now.
2) Do you play any instruments? if so, send us a recording of you singing/playing the instrument. If not find someone to play for you and sing. Just you, not you and a cd or you and someone else. JUST YOU. This way we can give you an accurate critique. I can personally tell you that you will sound like crap, nasally, airy, all that kinda stuff if you try to sing with cd's all the time. My actual singing voice, and my voice when i sing with cd's are COMPLETELY different and i don't feel that we've actually heard what you are capable of yet.
3) Start singing scales and stuff, i think i saw in your profile that you play bass. Piano would be a lot easier, but if that's all you got..hey, it'll work. Start singing scales with your bass. C scale is a good start. It lets you experience a decent range. If it's too low try an E or an F scale. If you need help with scales post back and i'll tab em out for bass (although i'm sure it's probably on the boards somewhere) or try to give you something to work with. After you've sang it with the bass (or piano, or whatever) a few times try doing it by yourself. Give yourself a starting pitch and try to sing the scale. Put some oomph into it too. Your voice sounds weak and nasal and this is probably due to the fact that your holding back singing with the cd. Go for it, let it all out. Then record it and see how it sounded, work on this for a few weeks for maybe 5-10 minutes a day and you will be AMAZED at your improvement in your range, ability to stay on pitch, breath support, etc.

That's about all i've got for now man. I'm not trying to cut you down in any way, so don't take any of that as extremely negative or that i hate you or something. I'm just tryin to give you my honest opinion on how to better your voice. If you prefer, i could just give you the obligatory Christian "wow man, sounds great" but this wont better your voice and you'll probably wind up auditioning for American Idol next year thinking your the man, haha. NEwayz, keep it up and let us now how it's coming!!

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 03-22-2004, 04:55 PM   #12
!MUDVAYNE FAN!

Quote:
That's about all i've got for now man. I'm not trying to cut you down in any way, so don't take any of that as extremely negative or that i hate you or something. I'm just tryin to give you my honest opinion on how to better your voice. If you prefer, i could just give you the obligatory Christian "wow man, sounds great" but this wont better your voice and you'll probably wind up auditioning for American Idol next year thinking your the man, haha. NEwayz, keep it up and let us now how it's coming!!
I know man...I'd rather you cut me down then just say "Wow man, sounds great" because then I'll never improve. I do play bass and I do play piano too! So, I'll work on scales on my piano but the piano only works everyonce and awhile; the cable that plugs in the wall has to be in a certain position(yeah it's weird)but I'll fix it. Thanx for all your help man. I'll keep workin'!
Thrice
Incubus
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Lostprophets

Lostprophets Fan Website
Unread 03-22-2004, 05:55 PM   #13
power chord hater

great man!! let us know how it's coming! and like i said, be sure to record it! sounds like a little, insignificant part but after a few weeks listen to the first time you practiced and the most recent one...you'll be shocked at the results. Heck, go ahead and post it if ya want so we can see your improvement! Anyways man, i'll be praying for ya that you can get into a good practice habit and improve your voice so that you can better serve Him!
-shane

www.stickandstrum.com
Unread 03-22-2004, 09:56 PM   #14
!MUDVAYNE FAN!

Quote:
great man!! let us know how it's coming! and like i said, be sure to record it! sounds like a little, insignificant part but after a few weeks listen to the first time you practiced and the most recent one...you'll be shocked at the results. Heck, go ahead and post it if ya want so we can see your improvement! Anyways man, i'll be praying for ya that you can get into a good practice habit and improve your voice so that you can better serve Him!
-shane
I sang tons today but didn't feel like recording. Sang some Blindside mostly...pretty fun. I sang REALLY loud. I just hope it's loud enuff. I'll post something next time! Thanx!
Thrice
Incubus
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Lostprophets

Lostprophets Fan Website
Unread 03-22-2004, 10:39 PM   #15
power chord hater

that's awesome dude. But next time you post something, if at all possible, do it with just you and piano, or you and bass, or something. It's hard to critique when you're singing to a cd. Also, make sure you're working on scales and stuff on the piano...this is what will improve your voice...not singing to blindside...
-shane

P.S. although, i have to admit...blindside rocks, good choice

www.stickandstrum.com