Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-16-2004, 11:31 PM   #1
=]

Fender Stratocaster??

Hey,

Whats so good about Fender Strats?, ANd Why are they so expensive?

From what i know of,

It looks Heaps Good, Green white, Red White, BLue White, etc etc,

And the strings dont get untuned easily.

Also, I heard the sound sounds heaps better.

Is there any other reasons?

Also,

Whats the Diffrences in the Fender Stratocaster Series?

Fender Strat Bullet Style?

Fender Strat American Standard?

Is there any other models i havn't covered?

thank you,

Yoda_me07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-16-2004, 11:43 PM   #2

MIM Strats are the ultimate hotrod guitars. That's why I'm so big on them.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2004, 11:44 PM   #3
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_me07
You may have just sparked a gargantuan marketing rant from Chesh...

In short... They really aren't incredible. Just another guitar, like a Gibson Les Paul, or PRS Custom 22, or Jackson Soloist, or Iby JEM, or Fender Telecaster, or whatever. I'll leave the second question to Chesh, hehe...

Quote:
From what i know of,

Yeah, can't argue with you there...

Quote:
Well that is very controversial. A Strat with a vintage style trem (non-Floyd Rose) will get out of tune pretty easily iff you start dive bombing on it. Floyd equipped Strats don't go out of tune very easily, but so does any guitar with a FR.

Quote:
Better then what? Sure it sounds better from that oldwreck you got for a dollar at the garage sale, but not as good as a custom Alembic or JET. It's all in the wood, construction quality, and electronics.

Quote:

Yes there are many, many, many, many, different Strats out there. Especially when you take into account the Strat copies and "Super-Strats" and other Strat-like guitars out there. There are probably more kinds of Strat then any other guitar ever made. What are the differences? Easy. 1) Construction Materials 2) Construction Quality 3) Electronics 4) Features 5) Finish.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2004, 12:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Quote:
Yoda_me07 asked:Whats so good about Fender Strats?, ANd Why are they so expensive?
rainer123 answered:
You may have just sparked a gargantuan marketing rant from Chesh...

I'll leave the second question to Chesh, hehe...
No, no rants. It's quite simple really - simply the Law of Supply and Demand.

Big Name -> Big Nostalgia -> Big Demand -> Big Market -> Big Price-tag.

Simple as that.

BTW, just so we add some relish to this gargantuan marketing rant (wouldn't want to disappoint Rainer ), the reason why these companies are so desperate for siggy and endorsment deals from new artists is because all the guys buying up Fenders and Gibbys are the Doctor and Lawyer types desperately trying to recapture their youth, and they all dug on Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Beck, and Townsend, all of whom played Strats and LPs.

Well, said company, along with all of their Doctor and Lawyer fans, won't be buying guitars forever, so these companies desperately need to maintain their nostalgia cred (!?! ) while creating a "hip, young, new" look. Quite the balancing act.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying

Last edited by CheshireCat; 02-17-2004 at 12:10 AM.
Unread 02-17-2004, 04:37 AM   #5
Skynyrd Gomer

Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_me07
Hey,

From what i know of,

Is there any other reasons?

Also,

thank you,
Depending on which Strat you are refuring to they not really expensive. A Squier Strat is $200-250 depending on what catalog or store and which model it is. A made in Mexico Fender Strat is $350-400 again as before catalog, store or model. And Fender American Strats Which start at $825 and go up from there. Those three are what I conside the stereotypical Strat models. There are others but you get the point.I think Fenders look kinda plain but there tone, feel and thungs like that are why I like them. And they do stay in tune pretty good for a guitar with a trem. A bullet is the lowst line of Squier Strats($99 I think), an American Strat is a top of the line Strat and are different from the MIM Strats. I think over all Strats have good prices considering other brands.
lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2004, 09:41 AM   #6
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
No, no rants. It's quite simple really - simply the Law of Supply and Demand.
Oh, I thought you turned everything into a big rant.

Quote:
Depending on which Strat you are refuring to they not really expensive. A Squier Strat is $200-250 depending on what catalog or store and which model it is. A made in Mexico Fender Strat is $350-400 again as before catalog, store or model. And Fender American Strats Which start at $825 and go up from there. Those three are what I conside the stereotypical Strat models. There are others but you get the point.I think Fenders look kinda plain but there tone, feel and thungs like that are why I like them. And they do stay in tune pretty good for a guitar with a trem. A bullet is the lowst line of Squier Strats($99 I think), an American Strat is a top of the line Strat and are different from the MIM Strats. I think over all Strats have good prices considering other brands.
But consider this: They are not so Expensive as they are Overpriced A squier standard strat is around $200 right? Peavey Predators are about the same price, yet they have binding around the body plus a Floyd Rose tremolo, which the Squier des not. The Squier Standard Telecaster is $200 also. Peavey Generations are comparable guitars that cost $180. They have binding around the body, and 3 pickups, S/S/H, which the Squier does not.

About tuning, I've played many Fenders and Fender copies. As far as staying in tune, the Squiers are about some of the worst, and the Fenders stay in tune relatively well, not really better then any other of the guitars.

This whole post seems like I'm bashing Fenders and Squiers. I love the guitars, hate the price... Buy Used!

Unread 02-17-2004, 02:29 PM   #7
Skynyrd Gomer

Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
I was reffuring to the MIM Fender STrats when I was talking about prices. I think they are one of the better guitars for that price range.
lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2004, 02:35 PM   #8
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul59
I was reffuring to the MIM Fender STrats when I was talking about prices. I think they are one of the better guitars for that price range.
I agree. But the Squiers and American series Strats are too overpriced. The Mexi Strats are reasonable at $400, maybe overpriced by $50 or so, but the American Series Strats are priced too high, and the Squiers are also priced too high.

Unread 02-17-2004, 06:27 PM   #9
Honeymoonin'

Send a message via AIM to redbaron
i might buy a MIM tele, but i can't seem to stomach a MIM strat. Sorry chesh. <3

My personal favorite is the Lonestar (96-98) white with tortiseshell. Single/single/humbucker (seymour duncan pearly gates, IIRC) and it sounds fantastic. Of course, it's probably my favorite strat because it has the fattest tone. That's why the new models are called fat strats.

I'm a les paul man though. Les pauls have the tune-o-matic, and don't run out of tune as quickly as strats with the standard tremblo.

Plus, if you're going to hotrod a paul, get an Epi. hell, a non-rodded epi-paul is better than a non-rodded MIM strat. The woods are a lot better, and so are the pickups.

If you're going to hotrod, it's all in how far you take it (talk to chesh about that).

I'm all about the fattest, vintagey blues tone i can get. The only thing i really care for about these modern new fangled dealie-o's is the fact that the pickups are quieter (in terms of THD). That's about it.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2004, 06:42 PM   #10
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron
Plus, if you're going to hotrod a paul, get an Epi. hell, a non-rodded epi-paul is better than a non-rodded MIM strat. The woods are a lot better, and so are the pickups.
And if you hot-rod a Gibson LP, you will get a guitar waay better then any Epi. The reason Chesh is so hot on MIM Strats (and why I am also, the fire is spreading... ) is because they're much more modular then other guitars. Why? Because 1) Everything can be taken apart with a few simple tools, i.e. screwdriver, wrench, etc. 2) All the electronics are accessible once you take off the pickguard. 3) The easiest replacement parts to find on the market are Strat parts. In other words, it's modular. It was almost made to be hot-rodded. The wood, neck, and overall construction quality are great, plus the electronics are decent, yet cheap enough that you really don't pay a whole lot for them. And it also has quite a decent resale value.

Wow... I'm beginning to sound like Chesh... Now to throw in some unusual analogies and more big words...

Unread 02-17-2004, 06:49 PM   #11
Honeymoonin'

Send a message via AIM to redbaron
eh, aren't the MIM strats made out of a much cheaper wood? It's swamp-ash and alder for the USA's correct?

I looked at hotrodding a MIM, but i figured that by the time i was done, i would have zero original parts left, so i might as well start with an american strat.

Eventually i'll be buying a gibson LP standard, but at many $$$$ that won't be for a while (unless you're donating to the cause. ). For now, the tone I needed was better served by an Epi, than any hot-rodded MIM.

Of course, that has more to do with the actual guitar shape, dynamics and wood type than anything else. A strat will never sound like a paul. I would like a strat, but it'll be to act as a second guitar, to play with, rather than as my favorite.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2004, 07:08 PM   #12
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Of course, that has more to do with the actual guitar shape, dynamics and wood type than anything else.
Actually, guitar shape has absolutely nothing to do with the tone of the guitar. Unless it's acoustic. It only matters how much wood there is. What do you mean by dynamics?

Quote:
eh, aren't the MIM strats made out of a much cheaper wood? It's swamp-ash and alder for the USA's correct?
Current MIMs are made of Alder. Old MIMs were made of Poplar, but so were some older USA's.

Quote:
A strat will never sound like a paul.
Unless you make it out of mahogany, give it a maple cap, and a tune-o-matic bridge... You can actually make the two sound quite similar regardless of the wood by putting in identical electronics.

Quote:
I would like a strat, but it'll be to act as a second guitar, to play with, rather than as my favorite.
I'd love a strat. Actually, I'd love a Super-Strat, Iby JEM-style. I just like LP's a bit better though.

Unread 02-17-2004, 10:53 PM   #13

Rainer's the bomb!!

Epi's are Gibsons "Squier" line. MIM's are far superior to Epi's.

The actual shape of the body does have an effect on sound . . . . about a 1% effect, if even that. Rainer is right on the money.

Alder, Ash, and Poplar are all of the same ilk. If you want to really talk woods in any educated, erudite way, talk Alembic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainer123
Now to throw in some unusual analogies and more big words...
Unusual, but effective.

Quote:
a non-rodded epi-paul is better than a non-rodded MIM strat. The woods are a lot better, and so are the pickups.
Not really. See above. Of course, if you're all about LP's, well, you're all about LP's.

Chesh

Unread 02-18-2004, 10:20 AM   #14
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Rainer's the bomb!!
Thanks. You are too. (guess who I got half my answers from...)

Quote:
Alder, Ash, and Poplar are all of the same ilk. If you want to really talk woods in any educated, erudite way, talk Alembic.
Alembics use some insane wood combinations, but they're used most artistically and tastefully.

Quote:
Unusual, but effective.
True... It's like a centipede. It looks unusual but is effective at what it does.
(How's that for an unusual analogy?)

Quote:
Not really. See above. Of course, if you're all about LP's, well, you're all about LP's.
Well you know what, Chesh? Strat pickups stink, they're single coils. Everyone knows humbuckers are waaay better. And something else, Mahogany is the best wood. Better then alder, poplar, or whatever else they use on those Strats. Strats don't even have a maple cap! And six-in-a-line tuners? Who's bright idea was that? And about that double cutaway, everyone knows you only need one. And a pickguard covering half the body? Pickguards should be minimal, and also removable! And what's up with the trems? Tune-O-Matic bridges were the greatest guitar bridge ever invented. And you should cover the truss rod opening! Strats are sooo thin, you can barely feel them on your strap. Dot inlays? Whoever thought of that? They're quite ugly. And you can't control the individual volume and tone of all the pickups? Shameful... *rants on*

Couldn't resist...

Unread 02-18-2004, 10:23 AM   #15

Quote:
No, actually the two wood choices in the American Series Strats/Tele's is Alder or Ash. Alder is the predominent one and is what you'll more likely than not ALWAYS see in your local store. Swamp Ash is stock on some G&L's but not on any Fender's that I'm aware of.

PacifiCustom Pedals
ryanspeer is offline   Reply With Quote