Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-22-2004, 02:31 AM   #76
Skynyrd Gomer

Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
Where the truss rod is supposed to be in filled in with rosewood, but I also don't bellieve that it can be seen at the heel either. Here's the guitar www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0131002

lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-22-2004, 09:28 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul59
Where the truss rod is supposed to be in filled in with rosewood, but I also don't bellieve that it can be seen at the heel either. Here's the guitar www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0131002
Weeeelllllll . . . . yeah. Actually, it's supposed to look like that . . . kinda.

That was one of Leo's experiementations. Remember, he was a latter-day Luthier, so not everything he did was that practical when he first started in terms of day-to-day concerns, tho he got progressively better and more innovative. However, for nostalgia purposes, that convention stuck.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2004, 12:04 PM   #78
übergeek

It is there. It is on the guitar end of the neck.

Acoustics: 2003 Taylor 855ce-LTD L1 (Brazilian), 1993 Taylor 810, 2005 Taylor K4 preamp, 2006 ESP XTone PA1 (Sunburst)
Electrics: 2007 ESP Vintage Plus Distressed, 1998 Fender AmDx Fat Stratocaster (Black with EMG SAV + SPC kit), 1997 PRS CE24 (Ruby), 2006 ESP LTD EC-1000s (Sunburst)

Amps: Orange Rockerverb 50 Head and PPC212 cab

“Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.” - St. Francis of Assisi
trpullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2004, 12:06 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpullen
It is there. It is on the guitar end of the neck.

What's up with that neck!?! Is that fretboard a veneer!?!

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
Unread 02-22-2004, 12:22 PM   #80
übergeek

Yeah, Fender started that in 1962.

Acoustics: 2003 Taylor 855ce-LTD L1 (Brazilian), 1993 Taylor 810, 2005 Taylor K4 preamp, 2006 ESP XTone PA1 (Sunburst)
Electrics: 2007 ESP Vintage Plus Distressed, 1998 Fender AmDx Fat Stratocaster (Black with EMG SAV + SPC kit), 1997 PRS CE24 (Ruby), 2006 ESP LTD EC-1000s (Sunburst)

“Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.” - St. Francis of Assisi
Unread 02-22-2004, 12:33 PM   #81

Quote:
Yeah, Fender started that in 1962.
What, the veneer fretboard!?!

Chesh

Unread 02-22-2004, 01:48 PM   #82
The Chameleon

Send a message via AIM to Shredcheddar
What is this all about?
Unread 02-22-2004, 02:46 PM   #83
übergeek

Fender used a slab rosewood board until late 1962 when they started to use the veneer board. I am not sure when they went back to the flat bottom slab but I suspect it was around the time they went back to small headstock in the early 80s.

Unread 02-22-2004, 03:53 PM   #84

Quote:
Fender used a slab rosewood board until late 1962 when they started to use the veneer board. I am not sure when they went back to the flat bottom slab but I suspect it was around the time they went back to small headstock in the early 80s.
Pitiful.

Still, live and learn.

Chesh

Unread 02-22-2004, 04:47 PM   #85

Quote:
What's up with that neck!?! Is that fretboard a veneer!?!
If memory serves me correctly, it is not a veneer, per se. The rosewood started out as a slab and was machined (radiused) on the bottom to match the the radius of the maple neck, it was then glued on and later radiused on the surface. I think I read that in a Dan Erlewine article in GP, or somewhere... It stuck in my mind 'cause it seemed strange. Veneer would not work well anyway, the grain would split due to being "wrapped" around the radius.
I don't remember if the reason was mentioned why Fender used this method, but the bottom line would be that a rosewood "veneer" on a maple neck would sound more like an all maple neck - rosewood darkens the sound. My 1964 strat has the rosewood veneer neck.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2004, 04:55 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
If memory serves me correctly, it is not a veneer, per se. The rosewood started out as a slab and was machined (radiused) on the bottom to match the the radius of the maple neck, it was then glued on and later radiused on the surface. I think I read that in a Dan Erlewine article in GP, or somewhere... It stuck in my mind 'cause it seemed strange. Veneer would not work well anyway, the grain would split due to being "wrapped" around the radius.
I don't remember if the reason was mentioned why Fender used this method, but the bottom line would be that a rosewood "veneer" on a maple neck would sound more like an all maple neck - rosewood darkens the sound. My 1964 strat has the rosewood veneer neck.
Well, technically, any lumber that is thinner than 0.25" is considered a veneer. I was just referring to the rather scant amount of wood that they used.

Chesh

Unread 02-22-2004, 05:33 PM   #87

Right, but it didn't start out as a veneer... Like I said, I remembered that story 'cause it seemed like a convoluted way to get 1/16" or so of rosewood on there...
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2004, 07:12 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
Right, but it didn't start out as a veneer... Like I said, I remembered that story 'cause it seemed like a convoluted way to get 1/16" or so of rosewood on there...
Well, yeah, I understand that. I just thought it was tacky nonetheless. A lot of trouble to make a substandard (IMHO) instrument.

Chesh

Unread 02-23-2004, 06:13 PM   #89
Skynyrd Gomer

Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
I know very little about Fender but this seems like something that was done to cut cost, I could and probley am wrong but thats what it sounds like to me.
lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2004, 06:35 PM   #90
übergeek

I have never read the reason why they did that. It happened in '62 though which was still under Leo's watch. I would believe that if it was CBS but....I am not so sure. It certainly could be true. I will dig though some of my history books.