Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-04-2002, 11:05 AM   #31
A fan of the lemer[sic]

Send a message via AIM to +Donny
well, I know my shells are pretty much average on toms and bass, pearl export, but the heads on all but the bass are remo pinstripe, and I have heard they are some of the best heads, plus I got some zildjian platinum cymbals which sell for a lot to people who want a whole set of platinums since they dont make them anymore

Unread 01-04-2002, 12:26 PM   #32

Actually,

I like the Performers. They got a really good review in MD. I like that Tama made higher quality drums in a wrapped finish (the EFX series) which will be very durable for gigging. And as for birch.. some people prefer birch to maple.. it's all about preference and developing your style.
Drumin4thecross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2002, 06:04 PM   #33

It's also sound. Birch doesn't have that warm, strong sound as Maple. Maple is for the more professional sounding drummer. Also, in regards to Modern Drummer, don't take their advice. Your ears are the best critic.

Veda Leben
Veda Leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2002, 08:29 PM   #34
A fan of the lemer[sic]

yes, but for many drummers(like me) who haven't heard most of the different types of cymbals/toms/shells, etc., we need advice from people who have
Unread 01-05-2002, 03:47 PM   #35

Maple does have a "professional" sound (I'm using maple drums now), but there are many professional drummers using birch drums.. off the top of my head- Morgan Rose of Sevendust uses birch starclassics (and he preferred birch to maple). Birch has better projection and a deeper sound than maple.

I'm not saying birch drums are better than maple or vica versa (because I do like maple drums) I'm just saying it's a different sound. Besides, if you were at a concert, how many people in the audience would be able to tell the difference?

As for trying drums out and what not,

When was the last time you walked into a music store and got to try out acoustic drums? I know I haven't.. EVER! Music stores don't want the heads played on.. at least at all the stores I've ever been to.

Jammin' for the Lamb
Unread 01-05-2002, 04:24 PM   #36

You're going to bad places. Unless you're places are lame like that.

I always go to Guitar Center, they allow you to beat the crap out of their drums. One time, 3 high-profile ammateur drummers were there at the same time. I happened to walk in, me being the 4th, and we all sat at different drumsets. I got the DW one. LAME! But it was cool nonetheless. We all developed a simple groove style, jammed together, and alternated the solos amongst eachother. If for no other reason, that is the greatest to become a drummer. It's such an awesome feeling. Specially when you're better than them

And yeah, it's a matter of opinion. I see myself as a professional style drummer, so, I prefer the maple. Also, I like their paint-on designs more. Course, wouldn't matter if I had the money to design my own.

Veda Leben
Unread 01-05-2002, 04:51 PM   #37
i like drums

actually (from what I've read, though not from MD, Yamaha I think) the difference between birch and maple is that birch is more for the softer styles and maple the harder. not sure as I haven't heard them myself. and beech is supposed to be the inbetween.
Squeak286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2002, 05:53 PM   #38

Birch offers a darker, and greater sound projection.
Maple is known for a warm and clear sound.

However. Some Starclassic 100% birch kits even rival the best maple kits in resonance and clarity.

Maple is also known as the strongest material above birch, mahogany, oak and whatnot.

It all comes down to style of music, and matter of opinion.

By the way, I don't get my information from MD. I feel it's horrible. Instead, i get my info from manufacturer catalogs and drum shop employees. I suggest picking up a Tama 2001 catalog.

Veda Leben
Unread 01-05-2002, 07:06 PM   #39

The nearest Guitar center is... almost 2 hours away. The "local" shop is mostley geared toward guitaists. They let you try out the cymbals and electronic kits, but not they acoustic ones. So, yeah, they are kinda lame like that. I do plan on going to GC asap though. And I do have the Tama catalogs.

On a side note- how many gigs do you play a month Veda?
Unread 01-05-2002, 08:20 PM   #40

I've gigged only 3 times in my drumming career. But that's about to change in the next several months. My new band is hitting off quite incredibly. We just finished our first song than the guitarist and I wrote in 20 minutes. We all live all over California, so we record via Cakewalk. We send eachother ideas, we record over them, you know the drill.

But yeah. 3 times in 2 years . Not many people know I can play. So I don't get much recognition at my school. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Veda Leben
Unread 01-06-2002, 03:00 PM   #41
A fan of the lemer[sic]

i was in a gig once:-D

nopt counting playing at our church,
Unread 01-10-2002, 09:31 PM   #42
ristmo2001

Tama Superstar.
5 peice. Black
Sabian AAX 14" hihat
Sabian 16" thin crash
Zildian bottom hihat--used as ride cymbal
Gibralter double bass
sticks
Unread 01-19-2002, 05:19 PM   #43

My Church Set;

20x14 Bass
12x8 Rack Tom
14x14 Floor Tom

These are various brands (Ludwig/Slingerland),all '60's era, that I got on ebay, striped them down, repainted green, heads are Remo Fiberskyns. Snare is '70's Ludwig Acrolite (aluminum)

Layout is standard jazz
20" Ride (low on right side)
14" Hats
Boom for bell tree or spalsh cymbal
Dr. Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2002, 12:36 PM   #44
Unregistered

My drumset:

PREMiER cabria kit
5 Piece,
10 inch tom-tom
12 inch 2nd tom
14 inch floor tom
22 inch bass drum
14 inch snare drum

Sabian b8
14 inch hi-hat
14 inch crash
16 inch crash
20 inch ride

plus:remo rings
Unread 02-19-2002, 08:41 PM   #45

I'm first and foremost a guitarist, but I love to wail on the drums from time to time.
My kit:

Yamaha Stage Custom (new style w/YESS mounts) in natural finish
Sabian B8 Pro Hi-Hats
Sabian B8 Pro 16" medium crash
Sabian B8 Pro 20" ride
Sabian AAX 10" splash

Assorted Yamaha, Pearl, and Tama hardware
kreg is offline   Reply With Quote