Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-28-2004, 12:06 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to jason_p.i.f.
planning to get a new neck pick up for my strat...

okay.... its either a fender noiseless or fender texas... both are are priced the same...

which ones better??? and do you have any other suggestions??? should be under 70 bucks.....

im in a tight budget....

thanks...

romans 10:9-10
psalm 62:1
jason_p.i.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-28-2004, 01:45 AM   #2

Are you going all new or just replacing like the bridge pickup? What kind of sound are you looking for (or, what are you trying to improve)?
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2004, 02:54 AM   #3

Look at Duncans.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2004, 08:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Look at Duncans.

Chesh
I agree. You can get good deals from Black Rose Customs (can't remember the URL, so Google it) or GuitarElectronics.com. Also, the Seymour Duncan website has sound clips.
BluesJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2004, 10:29 AM   #5
Guitar, AND Bass.

Send a message via AIM to Carvin AE185 Send a message via MSN to Carvin AE185 Send a message via Yahoo to Carvin AE185
I was so going to say Fender Noisless or Fender Texas, when I first saw this thread! Then the first post had it, so I was like, Yeah buddy!

Anyhow, the mentioning on sound clips.... a good way to go. Sound clips are awesome.

If you can't hear Him or keep thinking He's telling you the wrong things, chances are you are not listening to God. Don't forget to cast demons away from you. Because people don't spend much time talking about them anymore, doesn't mean they've disappeared from between the last days of the bible being written, and today. That's a dangerous and stupid notion.
Carvin AE185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2004, 02:29 PM   #6

Seriously, go with Duncans. They are the best pickups that I have ever seen (in terms of passive), and you are not paying for a name-brand. Understand, when I say name-brand, obviously Seymour Duncan is the biggest name-brand in pickups. However that's based on their excellence in producing pickups, so the name-brand recognition follows that.

But with Fender, they aren't experts in pickups nor particularly specialize in them. Not that they are bad. But the fact that a lot of there guitars are overpriced, and you are paying for that REALLY, REALLY BIG BRAND-NAME, bigger than Duncan, when you buy one of their pickups.

Also, we don't know if Fender makes their own pickups. Maybe yes, maybe no. They might contract them out for cheap, and then you would really be paying for a name-brand. Now, that's still not saying they are bad. They are perfectly fine.

It just depends on what you want and what you are willing to pay for.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
Unread 01-28-2004, 05:56 PM   #7
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Also, we don't know if Fender makes their own pickups. Maybe yes, maybe no. They might contract them out for cheap, and then you would really be paying for a name-brand. Now, that's still not saying they are bad. They are perfectly fine.
I know Fender makes a lot of the stock pups in their guitars. I also know they sometimes use Lace Sensors and Duncans.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2004, 06:19 PM   #8
Wingnut

Send a message via AIM to Guitar MC
I've had both in my guitar, and liked them both. I have the noiseless ones now, because I wanted noiseless pickups in this guitar. The texas pickups have a lot of bite to them, dont really like them in the bridge (I dont like single coils in the bridge of most strats though). Don't have a prejudice against them because they are made by fender, but along the same lines, dont buy them just because they are made by fender. I like them both, so I dont know what to recomend.

-Trey
Unread 01-28-2004, 06:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainer123
I know Fender makes a lot of the stock pups in their guitars. I also know they sometimes use Lace Sensors and Duncans.
Really? Cool, glad to hear it. I respect that.

Chesh

Unread 01-29-2004, 12:07 PM   #10
Pillar

Jason,

What amp are you using? Depending on what you use, you may not be getting the most from your guitar and changing the pickup really won't do much for you.

I see you are looking a noiseless pickups, are you trying to get rid of a hum problem? If so, shielding is cheaper than pickups, especially if you do it yourself.

If you are looking for the particular sound of a certain artist you may want to investigate what comes between that artist's guitar and amp, pickups may not be what you are really looking for.

Just some suggestions.

edited April 2005
pillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2004, 01:06 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to jason_p.i.f.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillar
Jason,

What amp are you using? Depending on what you use, you may not be getting the most from your guitar and changing the pickup really won't do much for you.

I see you are looking a noiseless pickups, are you trying to get rid of a hum problem? If so, shielding is cheaper than pickups, especially if you do it yourself.

If you are looking for the particular sound of a certain artist you may want to investigate what comes between that artist's guitar and amp, pickups may not be what you are really looking for.

Just some suggestions.

i run my strat thru a bunch of effects... and it sounds sweet with my tubescreamer by the way... out to an old crate g212 amp... i would buy a new amp if i had the money, but im broke... im trying to not to buy guitar stuff for a while... (after i get the pick up of course)
and yeah... im trying to get rid of this hum...

and also, might as well ask this too.. my strat is old... mid-80's jap strat... and i had this thing set up, and told the repair/set-upper dude, to fix this noise everytime i switch pick ups... its like this "schhhhhhschhh..." sound... cant really describe it... but neways, he mustve forgot... so yeah... im still stuck with this... i was just wondering what i can do to fix this myself...

and what is shielding?????

romans 10:9-10
psalm 62:1
jason_p.i.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2004, 09:35 AM   #12
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_p.i.f.
i run my strat thru a bunch of effects... and it sounds sweet with my tubescreamer by the way... out to an old crate g212 amp... i would buy a new amp if i had the money, but im broke... im trying to not to buy guitar stuff for a while... (after i get the pick up of course)
and yeah... im trying to get rid of this hum...
I'd try shielding. It'd be a good idea to shield your guitar anyways since it's a strat. Getting new single coil pickups may not even solve your problem. See bottom of post.

Quote:
and also, might as well ask this too.. my strat is old... mid-80's jap strat... and i had this thing set up, and told the repair/set-upper dude, to fix this noise everytime i switch pick ups... its like this "schhhhhhschhh..." sound... cant really describe it... but neways, he mustve forgot... so yeah... im still stuck with this... i was just wondering what i can do to fix this myself...
Probably either a dirty switch, or a bad switch. Get some contact cleaner at Radio Shack and clean that puppy off. If it still makes that sound, you probably are gonna need a new switch.

Quote:
and what is shielding?????
Electric guitar pickups and electronics tend to pick up a ton if interference from everywhere. Have you ever played guitar in front of a comuter monitor or TV? Now when you sheild a guitar, you prevent some of those frequencies from going to your amp, but instead, going to the ground.

Go to: http://www.guitarnuts.com/

Unread 01-30-2004, 12:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainer123
Electric guitar pickups and electronics tend to pick up a ton if interference from everywhere. Have you ever played guitar in front of a comuter monitor or TV? Now when you sheild a guitar, you prevent some of those frequencies from going to your amp, but instead, going to the ground.

Go to: http://www.guitarnuts.com/
Excellent!

Interesting sidenote: John Atchley, who owns and runs Guitar Nuts, is an Electrical Engineer, and when he started playing guitar, he noticed that the electronics would never pass muster in any other setting. Guitars routinely have substandard electronics that no manufacturer of $25 radios would ever tolerate.

This is especially interesting since those radios just play music, while the guitar is used to make music.

And then of course there are those "purists" who think the 60 cycle hum is supposed to be there, like it adds to the character of the tone or something.

Chesh

Unread 01-30-2004, 08:29 PM   #14

Quote:
You can use contact cleaner, but plain old rubbing alcohol works pretty well - It won't harm your finish and after it evaporates does not leave any residue. Just drip some in there and flip the switch back and forth several times. You might need to repeat this a few times. What you're trying to do is get rid of any dirt/dust (which is easy to get rid of), but more importantly and more difficult is to get rid of any oxidation on the contact surfaces of the switch.

One suggestion I would make on the pickup selection for the neck position, is to get one that is fairly "transparent" with a lot of high end - a "dark" pickup in the neck slot will really sound muddy.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2004, 08:32 PM   #15
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
You can use contact cleaner, but plain old rubbing alcohol works pretty well - It won't harm your finish and after it evaporates does not leave any residue. Just drip some in there and flip the switch back and forth several times. You might need to repeat this a few times. What you're trying to do is get rid of any dirt/dust (which is easy to get rid of), but more importantly and more difficult is to get rid of any oxidation on the contact surfaces of the switch.
Cool. I'll remember that.