Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-26-2004, 10:45 AM   #1

semi-hollow body electric guitars

Do any of you out there use a semi-hollow body electrict guitar when you are leading worship at your church? I have a Rickenbacker 330 that I pull out for songs that just call for that awesome, full sound that only one of these guitars can produce.

don_springfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-26-2004, 12:43 PM   #2
Curiously Intriguing

I use a Washburn HB-35 through a Carvin Nomad 112, and the combination of the semi-hollowbody through a true tube amp is just beautiful. I love the tone of a semi-hollowbody, although I must admit that someday I'd love to go full hollowbody ala Trey Anastasio. Right now I'm running my guitar into a TS-9 into my amp with a DD-5 in the effects loop, but I'm hoping to add a compressor and maybe an equalizer so I can use my wah without killing my tone.

Semi-hollowbody is definitely the way to go.

Ben

</font></td><td width="40%" align="right"><font size="1"><br>Now, little children, abide in Him, so that when He appears, we may have confidence and not shrink away from Him in shame at His coming.
- 1 John 2:28 <br />
</font></td></tr></table><br />
Benny Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2004, 12:51 PM   #3

I use a Gibson ES-335 on the worship team. The 335, combined with a Yamaha DG Stomp, and chained to the house PA system, makes for a very versatile set up.

One big advantage of a semi-hollow is that I can practice at home without plugging in.
everyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2004, 01:46 PM   #4
This one is for you

Send a message via AIM to Daniel Horney Send a message via MSN to Daniel Horney
i use only hollowbodies. I like the sustain they have as well as the warmth of tone.
Unread 01-26-2004, 01:59 PM   #5
I am Canadian!

Send a message via MSN to Saxophone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxophone
I'm looking into gettign a ES-335 or an ES-137. I love their sound and like you said you don't need an amp to practice. Which is nice.

Saxophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2004, 02:05 PM   #6
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

i see it's your first post. welcome to the forum!

i don't 'lead' worship but i do worship so maybe you won't mind me chiming in too.
semi-hollow body is the *only* way i will go with electric now. my first semi-hollow body was a danelectro 56u2. it had a unique tone for sure, and it got me further interested in semi-hollows. then i decided to put together my own electric guitar. i would've went completely hollow body but i didn't find a builder that would make a completely hollow body at the time i was buying parts. i'm picky and like to put together my own electrics now so off the shelf just wouldn't work. my body was made by warmoth, and it's based on the fender thinline semi-hollow design obviously but it has even more hollow areas than their design. anyways, i *love* the sound i can get from my semi-hollow. that middle of the road sort of acoustic sorta of electric vibe. semi-hollows are incredibly versatile guitars.
if ya wanna hear the sounds i get from mine you can check out some short clips here:

http://www.geocities.com/netbiz3/myguitar.htm

Last edited by gg7; 01-28-2004 at 10:34 PM.
gg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2004, 02:16 PM   #7
Servant

I don't lead, but I do play a Washburn HB30 through a Peavey Classic 30 when I play electric on our worship team. Ditto the comments above about tone - there's just nothing else like it. I have a couple of other electrics, but I keep coming back to this one - it has been my favorite for a long while now.
Unread 01-27-2004, 10:38 AM   #8

Smile

Thanks for the warm welcome into the forum! I recently joined a worship team for a new contemporary service that began at our church 3 weeks ago, so "leading worship" is a new experience. Are there any other Rickenbacker fans out there? They're awesome instruments -- just ask Martin J. Smith.

At the moment, I plug into a solid-state 200W Roland amp with my Rickenbacker, since that is all we have available. Any suggestions on the type of amp that is best suited for these semi-hollow body guitars?
don_springfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2004, 01:32 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to gchord
I'm looking for a twelve string hollow bodied electric,but can't come anywhere close to afford a Ric.I'm looking at a Dean right now,around $400,anybody know another affordable twelve string hollow bodied guitar for under $ 500? The Dean is the only one I've seen recently.
gchord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2004, 05:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Any suggestions on the type of amp that is best suited for these semi-hollow body guitars?
Any good valve amp. Peavey Classic series or Fender Blues Junior at the budget end of the market. Various hand built 'boutique' amps at the high end.

Al
Al Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2004, 06:25 PM   #11
This one is for you

Send a message via AIM to Daniel Horney Send a message via MSN to Daniel Horney
look for something with tubes, as they will accentuate the natural warmth of a hollowbody. I use a 5150, another great choice is a roland jazz chorus
Unread 01-27-2004, 08:27 PM   #12
Guitar, AND Bass.

Send a message via AIM to Carvin AE185 Send a message via MSN to Carvin AE185 Send a message via Yahoo to Carvin AE185
Semi-hollow... mmmm... yeah, actually, that's my guitar for my name. It's semi hollow. Light as a guitar shaped feather would be, plays real nice. I like mine alot because it's not the sterotypical Gibson semi-hollow shape. Although that's all fine and dandy, and alot of awesome players use them, I like mine because it's different and suits me.

I like the semi-hollow guitar because it doesn't hurt the back and has a good sustain along with a good sound.

Mine is good because it has tonal variety of acoustic and electric. A good amp you can mix both signals from one output and get lots of variety. Or get two amps and have one output for each...

But I like all the guitars people have mentioned so far. Mine's a little expensive for most people though, about a grand new. (Figure in strings and a case.) Got mine used and barely abused for much less.

And yeah, something with tubes. If you're looking for a practice amp, at a SS practice amp price, I say go with either a Kustom tube 12 (which you could subsitute in a 12AT7 for less death metalish gain) or a Pignose G40V. These are really loud and have one channel. If you mix it right you can get whatever you want. New tubes in this one is a near-must, but it provides to be a great $220 amp. Worth much more in my opinion. (BTW - was modeled after the blackface tube amp... is nearly identical in electrical design.)

Or another good SS amp would be anything Hughes And Kettner. The one I really like is the Tour Reverb. Not made anymore, and drives a $500+ price tag used. Never seen it less than $500 used, but I haven't checked the net either. . . . This one is three channel and gets you a near tube like tone as close as an SS have ever gotten before (IMHO)

If you can't hear Him or keep thinking He's telling you the wrong things, chances are you are not listening to God. Don't forget to cast demons away from you. Because people don't spend much time talking about them anymore, doesn't mean they've disappeared from between the last days of the bible being written, and today. That's a dangerous and stupid notion.
Carvin AE185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2004, 12:29 AM   #13
Art
Superfly.

paid
My friend bought a Rickenbacker 360 Mapleglow, and I absolutely fell in love with the sound of the semi-hollow body. I love that guitar, and when I finally purchase an electric, it will be semi-hollow.
Unread 01-28-2004, 01:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchord
I'm looking for a twelve string hollow bodied electric,but can't come anywhere close to afford a Ric.I'm looking at a Dean right now,around $400,anybody know another affordable twelve string hollow bodied guitar for under $ 500? The Dean is the only one I've seen recently.

I'll send you a personal message...
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2004, 01:29 PM   #15
Curiously Intriguing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carvin AE185
Mine is good because it has tonal variety of acoustic and electric. A good amp you can mix both signals from one output and get lots of variety. Or get two amps and have one output for each...
I come so close to buying a Carvin AE185, but I found my Washburn HB-35 at a pawn shop and, after trading in my crappy, bottom line Epiphone Les Paul, I got it for under $300. It's a sweet guitar and I just couldn't pass that up.

How do the Fishman pickups sound on it? Is it a convincing acoustic tone, or is it obvious that it's coming out of an electric guitar? The dual outputs and fishman pickups made that guitar really tempting.

Ben

</font></td><td width="40%" align="right"><font size="1"><br>Now, little children, abide in Him, so that when He appears, we may have confidence and not shrink away from Him in shame at His coming.
- 1 John 2:28 <br />
</font></td></tr></table><br />
Benny Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote