Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-06-2001, 08:29 PM   #1

Your favorite bass players

Who does everyone listen to in here? I know this was done before, but it got lost in the shuffle. Tell us who, and what you like about them.

Thanks,
Lee

LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-06-2001, 10:24 PM   #2
Magnus frater spectat te

Geddy Lee - From Rush. Plays some of the greatest basslines I've ever heard.

John Myung - From Dream Theater. As good as Geddy when it comes to great basslines. An incredible technical player.

Tony Levin - He's played with tons of people (check out http://www.tonylevin.com/discography.html) Most notably King Crimson and Liquid Tension Experiment. Usually not a very flashy player, but if he plays one note, you can tell it's him.

John Paul Jones - From Led Zeppelin. His solo album, Zooma, is the reason I switched from guitar to bass. He ranges from flashy, to really laid back, but it's always great.

Stu Hamm - He's played with Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and has 4 solo albums. One of the most technically gifted bass players I've ever heard. He's the main reason I started tapping.

Billy Sheehan - I saw him playing with Steve Vai on the most recent G3 tour and I was blown away. Another incredible technical player.

Michael Manring - I'm really only familiar with his work from Attention Deficit, but from what I've heard, I really like him.

Roger Waters - From Pink Floyd. Not technical at all, but he's a great song writer, and his basslines are always great.

Doug Pinnick - From King's X. Like Roger Waters, not very technical, but great basslines. His tone is incredible.

Jonas Hellborg - I've only heard one of his albums, and some sound clips of him playing with Shawn Lane, but anyone who can make an entire album with just acoustic bass guitar and percussion, and keep it interesting, has to be amazing.

I could keep naming players, but that would take too much time.

Kevin
Basszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2001, 11:15 PM   #3

How is Zooma? I've thought about getting it several times, but I had no idea how it would sound. I know that JPJ and Nick Beggs both play on it, and both are really good players. Is the album instrumental or vocal?

Lee
Unread 09-06-2001, 11:39 PM   #4
Magnus frater spectat te

It's all instrumental. The bass playing is incredible, he uses 12 and 10 strings on most of it. Although the 12 isn't a typical 12 string with 3 courses for each string, it's a 6 string with 2 courses (the 10 string is a 5 string with two courses). Nick doesn't actually play on the album, he just toured with him (which I unfortunately missed). But Trey Gunn (who is also great) does play on two of the tracks. Everyone I know who has heard it has liked it, but I have read a few negative reviews on the internet. I would definitely recommend getting it if you're into instrumental rock. If you do decide to get it, let me know what you think of it.

Kevin
Unread 09-07-2001, 12:41 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to LivingSacrifice
you may not like them or even know them, but john cooper from skillet and i think his name is kevin young, the guy from disciple. both of them play the bass while singing which is sorta hard anyway for a lot of people. and they are both the kind of players who could throw it over their head and bust into a solo behind their head at anytime. that's pretty impressive. i've seen skillet live a few times and john is awesome to watch, though i haven't been priveledged enough to see disciple.

God bless
"You hate us cause we'll never go away, and like some sort of fungus we are growing every day! And our knuckles aren't dragging so i guess that leaves to say, our message isn't stopping till you pull us all away!" Project 86
LivingSacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2001, 08:32 AM   #6

Geddy Lee is probably somewhere on every bass player's favorites list including mine. He is well deserving of that honor.

Another one of my favorites is Abraham Laboriel. This guy can play some of the most awsome stuff I have ever heard on the bass. I learned about him when I first started playing bass. Our music pastor at the time wanted to do some Ron Kanoli (sp?) stuff, when I heard the stuff he wanted me to play bass on, I was in awe! I had been playing for less than a year at this point. I gained a lot of respect for Abraham and still am awes by his playing.

I got to meet Abraham a few years ago at a praise concert, he is was one of the most humble and encouraging men of God I have ever met.

Peace!
groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2001, 10:04 AM   #7

Do you have his video? I saw it and figured I would get it the next time I was in the store, but it wasn't there when I went back. Maybe they will reorder.

Lee
Unread 09-09-2001, 08:05 PM   #8

Abraham laborial rocks. Some of the integrity/hosanna videos have him on bass. Very cool. Anyone know what kind of bass he uses?

One of my favorite bass players is Tai Anderson from Third Day. He may not play the most intricate parts, but some of the stuff he does just makes the song (Consuming fire), and he locks in with David Carr really well.
Drumin4thecross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2001, 06:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by Drumin4thecross
Abraham laborial rocks. Some of the integrity/hosanna videos have him on bass. Very cool. Anyone know what kind of bass he uses?

One of my favorite bass players is Tai Anderson from Third Day. He may not play the most intricate parts, but some of the stuff he does just makes the song (Consuming fire), and he locks in with David Carr really well.
It's very rare that you'll see Abraham play the same bass more than a couple times. He has quite an enormous collection, when I met him a few years ago the count was over 60! From what I've seen and heard, he seems to prefer Yamaha's and Tylers. They are custom made for him, the Yamaha's are TRB series and Tyler has a Abraham Laboriel signature series that retails for around $4000. The fretless he uses in the African videos is a Carvin LB75.

I also read in an article in Bass Player Magazine that he likes to use piezo bridge pickups for added "character".

Peace!
groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2001, 07:24 PM   #10
Norma-Jean Fanatic

lets see my fav. bass player is Ben i dont know his last name though but he is like better than anybody i can think of but his band broke up recently and that was kinda sad cause they sounded just like tool and they were christian so i didnt have to listen to too but oh well i got their demo im happy

In Him
Kody
Unread 09-10-2001, 07:29 PM   #11
Ember's bass player

Phil Joel is an awesome bass player. He isn't too flashy, but his riffs can sound so cool! But, Paul McCartney would have to be one of the best bass players of all time. He is a genius at writing music, and his bass lines flowed perfectly with every song the Beatles played. Who else do y'all like? God Bless!

Chase

samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2001, 10:05 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to LivingSacrifice
Quote:
lets see my fav. bass player is Ben i dont know his last name though but he is like better than anybody i can think of but his band broke up recently and that was kinda sad cause they sounded just like tool and they were christian so i didnt have to listen to too but oh well i got their demo im happy
dj ponyfunk

if the band you were mentioning was anguish unsaid, and it probably isn't, the bass player went to a band called likedavid.
and if that wasn't the band you mentioned, i'm sorry. but if you liked them because they sounded like tool, check out likedavid. they sound a lot like tool and deftones and are also Christian. see ya.

joe
"You hate us cause we'll never go away, and like some sort of fungus we are growing every day! And our knuckles aren't dragging so i guess that leaves to say, our message isn't stopping till you pull us all away!" Project 86
LivingSacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2001, 09:21 PM   #13
Norma-Jean Fanatic

hey livingsacrifice i dont think its the same guy but the Ben Im talking bout was in a small not very know band that just did local shows and stuff but thats cool im going to checkout likedavid, they sound cool welp thats all later

In Him
Kody
Unread 09-11-2001, 09:21 PM   #14

Basszilla, I got Zooma, I really like it! Thanks for the info! It sounds like King Crimson Lite, meaning it is not as complicated, but still has that feel.

My favorite bass players are Roscoe Beck, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, John Myung, Jaco Pastorius, Marcus Miller, Alfonso Johnson, Tony Levin, Victor Wooten, Oteil Burbridge, Jeff Berlin, Michael Manring, Paul McCartney, Phil Keaggy, Jimmy Haslip, and many others. As far as my influnces, I can learn from anyone who has picked up a bass.

Lee
Unread 09-11-2001, 09:58 PM   #15
Magnus frater spectat te

Quote:
Originally posted by LWatford
Basszilla, I got Zooma, I really like it! Thanks for the info! It sounds like King Crimson Lite, meaning it is not as complicated, but still has that feel.
I'm glad you like it I actully started listening to King Crimson after Zooma, and one of the first things I thought was that it sounded like Zooma, only more complicated. Of course with all the connections to King Crimson, it makes sense they sound similar.

Kevin