Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > P
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rate the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 2 4.44%
2 1 2.22%
3 1 2.22%
4 1 2.22%
5 0 0%
6 6 13.33%
7 2 4.44%
8 6 13.33%
9 8 17.78%
10 18 40.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-08-2004, 03:22 AM   #1
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
P.O.D. - Payable On Death

Tracks
1. Wildfire
2. Will You
3. Change the World
4. Execute the Sounds
5. Find My Way
6. Revolution
7. The Reasons
8. Freedom Fighters
9. Waiting on Today
10. I and Identify
11. Asthma
12. Eternal

For more on P.O.D., click here.

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-08-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
JdReanimation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemOfAJon
This album is a HUGE change for P.O.D., from their previous album, Satellite. They completely abandoned the rap, and Sonny's vocals are great. Combine Sonny's vocals with Jason Truby's, the new guitarist, guitar playing, this album makes itself appear much more artistic than most of their previous albums.

I give it a ten.

~Jon
Dude, P.O.D.s new cd Rocks. The guitar is insane and the vocals are out of this world. Nice beats and even better messages. It rocks and worships god at the same town.
Unread 01-08-2004, 04:55 PM   #3
Resident Keaggy Expert

Send a message via AIM to PKfanSteph Send a message via MSN to PKfanSteph Send a message via Yahoo to PKfanSteph
I really like this CD. This the only P.O.D. album I have heard and I wasn't expecting to like them. This CD rocks, but from what I've heard, has a more melodic feel than their past CDs, perhaps because of the new guitarist. Still, the best song on the CD, for me, is the final one, "Eternal". I think bringing Phil Keaggy in to play with Jason Truby was a huge gift, to Jason, to Phil, and to us. You can really tell where Jason has gotten much of his influence!
Unread 01-08-2004, 08:33 PM   #4
not depressed

Send a message via AIM to Ardent1 Send a message via Yahoo to Ardent1
because I'm obsessed...

From a musically artistic standpoint, Payable On Death is a jump that P.O.D. made without ingesting any protein bars. They had it in them. All that they needed was a spark- a new element or challenge...
Jason Truby.
From the soulful chords of "Asthma" to the overall united feel of the album (something Satellite lacked), the artistic abilities of P.O.D. are seen/heard in a new light. Truby did a magnificent job in breathing this new life into the band while keeping reggae influences in the music. As for the latin acoustic glimpses listeners caught from the band with Marcos, perhaps that is lost. If so, I will certainly miss them, because I felt that they added something rich, yet light and traditional to P.O.D.'s sound.
Sonny went the extra mile by taking voice lessons prior to the recording, and I am honestly not surprised that rap is virtually gone from the album. It could be a bit of a "culture shock" to some, but to most I think it will be welcomed as another side of P.O.D. to enjoy. The new lyrics are also a bit different when you reflect on the styles and elements of previous lyrics. The same messages of peace, love, hope and life in Christ that have remained with the band since Snuff the Punk are woven into these new metaphoric tapestries of imagery.
Not to forget Traa and Wuv. Traa, in particular, has shining moments on the record. Wuv seems to show more maturity with less solos and loud song intros.

An excellent album, and an exciting glimpse into the future. I give it a 10.

-angela-
Unread 01-15-2004, 04:24 PM   #5

i agree this is a big change for P.O.D, and it is more acoustic, but i still believe the Satellite was their best so far and it will take a lot oto out do it.
guitarplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2004, 03:01 PM   #6

It's worthy of an 8. It wasn't what I expected at all, but that's not a bad thing. Execute the Sounds is a unique song that really stood out to me. I wish it was a little more... a little more something. There's just something missing. I can't place it but I can feel it when I listen. Even so, it's still a wonderful CD.
Unread 02-27-2004, 04:55 PM   #7

I wish wuv would do more solos and loud intros I liked that. I give them a 10 very well done.
Jesus freak!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2004, 11:09 AM   #8
The Smart Guy

Send a message via AIM to Brian-Alexander Send a message via MSN to Brian-Alexander Send a message via Yahoo to Brian-Alexander Send a message via Skype™ to Brian-Alexander
the cd sucks but i still would buy the next p.o.d. cd
Unread 04-30-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
Banned

Send a message via AIM to carmelo
What are you saying???
the cd was awesome...the song 'change the world','will you' and the rest of them were awesome...one of the best cd's i hav bought....the lyrics are soo good....it was better than satellite and with the new guitarist theyll go far.......melo
carmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2004, 02:56 PM   #10
you DID find it.

this cd was awesomely amazing
pod rocks my socks.
and that is trite, but it is true!!!!!!!!
Unread 06-01-2004, 10:14 AM   #11
Pokemon trainer

It isn't what I was expecting, however it has grown on me.

It's not as good as Satellite, but I'm still supporting my favorite band.
beau99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2004, 09:27 PM   #12
Smart Alek

Send a message via Yahoo to GuiTarDudE89
This CD rocks! I think it is their best one yet. The guitars are loud and melodic at the same time, and the band really shines with the addition of Truby. Sonny's voice is awesome, and, even though I liked the rap, I think his singing is a lot better. This CD is awesome.

Isn't that beautiful
GuiTarDudE89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2004, 08:11 PM   #13
ED! stop eating the cat!

Send a message via MSN to sanzi
This is a really good CD, but in a different way.
I definitly wasn't expecting a "softer" sound (that's how I found it) and I was honestly, a bit disappointed, but I still absolutely love it.
Unread 07-23-2004, 09:07 PM   #14
what the...

overall, this cd was pretty good. i was expecting something more like satellite but truby is a better guitarist than marcos was, and he adds alot to the band. i like the new reggae-type sound but my only wish is that they kept some of the rap.

i give it a 9

"My tongues the only muscle on my body that works harder than my heart."
-Jesse Lacey, Brand New

Band names you will never see

the platypus conception
the extremely diverse alphabetical nuns
the regional directors of boredom

so... what do you think of this 'music television?'
shavedmarmosets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2004, 02:44 AM   #15

First of let me bgin by saying P.O.D. has been a huge influence in my taste of music. I started listening to them about the time they brought out T.F.E.O.S. I have all of their cd's ( though I have none of the sound tracks they've done except Sleeping Awake). And I also have all of their tab books. That being said I would like to make my opinion about this cd known. When it comes to the lyrics, P.O.D. has always had, and still does, their own style, though I'm concerned with how they don't sing about God like they used to. Not that they don't; that's not what I'm saying, but the aren't as out-right about singing His praises as they used to be. Musically, this is the best they've ever been in my opinion. The music is completely original. Since I have the tab book, I've had the privilage of looking at Truby's work. Amazing! Not just your standard power chord this and power chord that; but original working of real chords in with the power chords. Now that takes some thought and effort along with time. Praise God for the talent He's given you, Truby! Along with the witty use of chords and power chords, Truby also does what people without effects pedals like to hear: you don't need an effects pedal, besides for convenient changes to and from distortion, to play any of the songs. Not that some songs don't call for certain effects, but you can still play them without the effects and have them sound fine. All in all, this cd is their best, in my opinion. The only thing I'd change would be for their lyrics to be as bold about God as Snuff the Punk. Other than that, P.O.D., keep up the great work, and God bless.
Jaewalkin is offline   Reply With Quote