Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > J
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rate the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 2 4.44%
4 0 0%
5 1 2.22%
6 0 0%
7 2 4.44%
8 8 17.78%
9 13 28.89%
10 19 42.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-07-2004, 06:26 AM   #1
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Jars of Clay - Who We Are Instead

Tracks
1. Sunny Days
2. Amazing Grace
3. Lonely People
4. Only Alive
5. Trouble Is
6. Faith Enough
7. Show You Love
8. Lesser Things
9. I'm In The Way
10. Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet
11. Jealous Kind
12. Sing
13. My Heavenly

For more on Jars of Clay, click here.

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-07-2004, 06:29 AM   #2
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
I give it a very solid 8. Jars of Clay finally released a CD that managed to live up to the reputation they earned with their first album. There were scattered good songs on the other albums, but not a full album of very good songs. This album is full of very good songs. I could listen to it all day and not get bored.
Unread 01-09-2004, 01:24 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Setekh
I gave it a 9. I must salute JOC's continued rejuvenation of their sound - as faithful Jars followers will realise, no two of their albums is the same. I intensely enjoy Who We Are Instead, due in no small part to the acoustic guitar that rings throughout the whole abum - it's great to play along to. I would even suggest this album to beginner guitarists, as the chords are mostly very simple, though most of the songs provide lots of room to figure out fingerpicked riffs (Lonely People springs to mind). So, musically, I think it's a great arrangement.

Lyrically, I find this album outstanding. A friend and I spent a whole day chilling, listening to WWAI, and thinking about the lyrics. There are some great tunes to get into your head (Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet is gold, as is Show You Love) there, and I really ought to stop sounding like a commercial. I just really like this album...
Setekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2004, 08:13 PM   #4
the ghost at your side

Send a message via MSN to Opie
I give it a 9...Simply awesome! Not quite as good at the self-titled but pretty darn close...for me stand out tracks are the cover of Lonely People, Faith Enough, and Jealous Kind but all of them are awesome...those are my 3 favs I think though...I can't take this CD out of the player...its funny because I got 5 or 6 CD's for christmas and got this one back when it came out and have barely listened to the new ones because I have this one in the CD player so much!
Unread 01-10-2004, 11:48 PM   #5
is growing up

Send a message via AIM to SupaNova
This is probably my favorite Jars album, that's right folks, I like WWAI slightly more than their sacred debut CD (of course this is only one man's preference). The music on this album ranges from their standard pop/rock tunes ("Sunny Days", "Show You Love", "I'm in the Way") to more folk rooted songs ("Amazing Grace", "Only Alive"). While the album as a whole may not anything spectacular or deeply innovative, WWAI is easily Jars of Clay's most solid release since the days of their self titled CD and "Much Afraid". For any fan, this album is a definate must have. Oh and be prepared, the ending to "Jealous Kind" may come as an unexpected surprise to many Jars fans.

hard times in Rockingham, hard times harder still...
SupaNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2004, 05:46 PM   #6

Unhappy

Ummm. This CD was NOT awesome. It was good.

But Jars of clay is getting old.
merrymary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2004, 07:51 PM   #7
I was homeschooled!

I have thoroughly enjoyed it! I totally unexpected it to sound like it did. I played amazing grace at a gig last night with some friends, it went over best by far. Many of the songs people can pick up and play, and sound pretty decent, although Jars does it perfecto. I give it a 9
Unread 01-21-2004, 07:59 PM   #8
is laughing

What an awesome CD - Jars is finally back on track. I had lost faith in them with Eleventh Hour which stunk. Jealous Kind and Amazing Grace are the two standout tracks. Ive been listening to it non-stop. Quality Stuff.
(I just saw them live at Sonfest - they did an awesome rendition of frail)
randomchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2004, 06:36 PM   #9

It's worth an 8. ...pretty good...
Unread 01-22-2004, 06:39 PM   #10
Keep rockin for the kids.

either this or their first album is the best
Unread 01-25-2004, 02:35 PM   #11

Man! I think this album is absolutely fantastic. I bought it last week and haven't taken it out of my CD player except yesterday when I put Furthermore in so I could listen to Worlds Apart (trying to play it on the guitar).
The music was a huge surprise. It was like opening a present with no idea what you're going to get. It sounds very country and I must agree that the ending to Jealous Kind is a great surprise. But It grew on me after a while and now it's my favourite song on the album.
The lyrics on some of the songs are amazing. Lesser Things really stood out for me in that respect. So too did Amazing Grace and Jealous Kind.
I'd have to say 9. It's an awesome album.
Unread 01-30-2004, 01:58 PM   #12
...kills bad guys/jerks

I gave this CD a 9. The music is a departure from their previous records, but it still is very much "Jars' Sound". The songs are very well written and, of course, the musicianship is outstanding, but, you should expect that by now form the Jars. I was also suprised to see more guest musicians and vocalists on this disc. All in all, "Who We Are Instead" is an outstanding disc. Buy it!

yeah.
StraightEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2004, 06:55 PM   #13
Yes

Send a message via AIM to Only Alive
Excellent

There isn't one song on this CD I don't like. Definitely Jars' best effort yet... they overcame thier apparent "identity crisis" from 11th Hour. The transition was apparent during Furthermore, so if you liked the new studio stuff, you'll dig this. Highlights are Amazing Grace, Trouble Is, Faith Enough, and Lesser Things.

-Nick
Only Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2004, 04:27 AM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to spongyfungy Send a message via AIM to spongyfungy Send a message via MSN to spongyfungy Send a message via Yahoo to spongyfungy
sunny days - typical jars of clay pop rock song. The sound is very reminescent of the self-titled debut CD. With the strings and chorus
Amazing Grace - Totally different and it sets the tone for the rest of the album
Lonely People comes across as a beer commercial jingle. It's actually a cover of the 70's song by America after I tried looking up the song on a search engine.

The rest of the songs have the same slow tempoed style music as Amazing Grace. I can compare it to Robert Randolph and the family band without the energy.The pedal steel guitar is prevalent in many of the songs especially in the pulse pounding Trouble is.
Fans of the jars of clay type of music maybe turned off with the southern country style. However this album requires a closer inspection of its lyrics to each song to fully appreciate. I know I've wanted Jars to quit experimentating with the music I have grown accustomed to listening to and I struggled throughout the album

technically you can always expect Jars to be superior and they do not disappoint in that area.

Jars of clay is known for their sometimes semi-cryptic lyrics and that requires some interpretation. With the Sunday school like song "Jesus's blood never failed me yet": Jesus's blood never failed me yet/never failed me yet/this one thing I know. His delivery of the song is of a soft-spoken drunk dude. Though it leaves nothing to the imagination,it is the poignant truth of the message that evoke emotions in one's soul of Jesus sacrifice and his unending faithfulness.

All in all a great album and a great effort by Jars
spongyfungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2004, 09:15 AM   #15

That's a wonderfull cd!!!!
imgimenez is offline   Reply With Quote