Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-03-2004, 09:45 PM   #1
The Chameleon

Send a message via AIM to Shredcheddar
The Unanimous Connection Between Taylor Guitars and Praise Band Guitarists

I'm not sure how many different "praise bands" any of you have seen, at a various number of camps, special church functions, or just being at a show, but every single one of the 6 I have seen all sport Taylor acoustic guitars. This bothers me.. I am taking nothing away from Taylor, but the conception that Taylor makes premium guitars for the buck seems to be going around. The fact that I have seen no high-end Martins, or with leaders playing a 300 series, I have seen no mid-range Tacomas (a very high sound-for-buck mid-range maker) or any other brand of guitar, period.

In saying this, I am not saying that Taylor makes mediocre guitars, nor am I complaining that there is better stuff out there and they're settling for less, but is it strange that every single one of them chose to play a Taylor? It's hard to beleive this can be a coincidence of sound and feel choice, and if it is, I stand corrected (I guess I'm "corrected"). Could this be, as I suspect, an effect of Taylor's reputation for being an ultimate guitar? If so, this means one of two things:

1) Taylor makes some absolutely consistent and incredibly astounding guitars to the point that they are so reputable

2) This reputation is off-key a bit, in the fact that Taylor does not make the best guitars you could possibly find, while they make some very very nice ones, there are other companies that can definitely compete with them.

So why isn't Martin or Tacoma or Takamine selling their high-end guitars in this sort of inside group of customers?

Just maybe getting some insight into some suspicions I had.

Please do not attack me for the (false) suspected implication that Taylor guitars are inferior to their competition. I am simply wondering if a gushing reputation could be the reason for their dominance over their competitors in the specific customer arena of praise band leaders (who often times are not 100% devoted guitarists, so maybe their lack of knowledge of guitar shopping could lead to their purchase of what they think is old reliable - Taylor guitars.)

And yes, I know you Taylor owners are proud of your Taylors, but I would appreciate it if no "because Taylors simply rule" comments were made, but instead an actual insightful response were posted You see, I am anticipating it already

Last edited by Shredcheddar; 01-03-2004 at 09:52 PM.
Shredcheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-03-2004, 10:27 PM   #2
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

i think regardless of the name on the headstock some guitars are better than others.
i'm sure taylor has made some lemons, so has martin, guild, tacoma, larrivee and everyone else. of course some of them end up getting scrapped before leaving the building but that doesn't change that some guitars are better than others even within the same brand and model. of course what is 'better' is subjective.

i do like the taylor's i've had the chance to play on. i like the bright sound and the low action. i think those are huge selling points for taylor.

as far as why so many worship bands use taylor i think part of it is just a trend. plain and simple, lots of worship bands are seen with taylors so someone starting to play in that type of band sees that and assumes taylor is the way to go. so they get a taylor not knowing what else is out there, they just know taylor is good.
i think another thing that sways some people to buy a taylor guitar is that bob taylor is said to be a Christian. so they hear that and that makes them all the more want a taylor even though bob didn't make their guitar personally...i wouldn't think all the employees there are Christians...

so, no flames from me...i see where you're coming from...
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:05 PM   #3

Yeah, I have noticed that too, and just thought it was a little strange...
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:07 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to JtChan
I'm with gg7, its probably just a trend, but I hear that Taylor caters to the Christian artist. The new Limited editions have one "specifically" made based on Maranatha praise leaders. But I always wondered the same thing.

I prefer my Larivee D-09, it has great sound and tone, but I also play a guild, so I'm not one to be picky about guitars.

My Xanga Site
JtChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:15 PM   #5

i think in some cases folks get a taylor because of status

is liberalism really a mental disorder?
boogeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:26 PM   #6

Guitars for Praise

Taylor? Larivee? Where are you folks getting all your $$?
When I work acoustic, it's usually with my import Washburn.
I've seen the price tags on the guitars you mention. I'm not paying that much for anything I can't drive away in, regardless if our Creator himself commisioned it. A Taylor would be nice, but I'm doing fine with what I have.
Oh yes, I did splurge for an American Strat (the sweetest sound around until the trumpet sounds)for electric work.
dbt1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:38 PM   #7
Resident Keaggy Expert

Send a message via AIM to PKfanSteph Send a message via MSN to PKfanSteph Send a message via Yahoo to PKfanSteph
No flames from this proud Taylor owner! This same topic has come up on the Taylor Guitar Forum on a few occasions.

One possible reason is that worship bands often have beginner level players in them. Not a bad thing, we all have to start somewhere. Taylors are very easy to play and still sound great so beginners are comfortable with them.

And many Christians are happy to support a Christian guitar company (or if you want to get technical, a company owned by a Christian), especially one that makes great guitars. Why not?! It may not be (and probably should not be) your primary reason for purchasing the guitar, but for many Christians, it is an incentive.

Let's not forget good advertising! Third Day, Jars of Clay, Steven Curtis Chapman, Phil Keaggy, Jennifer Knapp, Doyle Dykes, Caedmon's Call, Bebo Norman and MANY other Christian aritsts play Taylors. Many of these artists have more than one (or two or three!) so it's not just that they were given a guitar to promote the company's image (Taylor rarely gives guitars to artists) --they came back for more! The name is out there and many people are more inclined to buy a name that's well known and well respected than something they've never heard of. And if great guitar players use them, they must be worth buying, right?

And, of course, new guitar players are influenced by what their "mentors" play, so this gets propigated right down the line.

Is this a bad thing? I don't think so. Now, if Taylor started producing really bad guitars and people kept buying them, THAT would be bad.

So yeah, I agree with gg7 .
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:44 PM   #8
Resident Keaggy Expert

Send a message via AIM to PKfanSteph Send a message via MSN to PKfanSteph Send a message via Yahoo to PKfanSteph
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbt1160
Mine was a gift. Otherwise, I wouldn't be playing anything!
Unread 01-04-2004, 01:43 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to JtChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbt1160
When I work acoustic, it's usually with my import Washburn.
I've seen the price tags on the guitars you mention. I'm not paying that much for anything I can't drive away in, regardless if our Creator himself commisioned it. A Taylor would be nice, but I'm doing fine with what I have.
Oh yes, I did splurge for an American Strat (the sweetest sound around until the trumpet sounds)for electric work.
The money comes from waiting for really good deals and nothing else. Honestly, my larivee has a big old chunk broken off from the soundhole by some guy at Guitar center dropping something on it. I got it for cost.

Anyhow, I think that when it comes to worshipping and pleasing our creator, one can and should not spare no expense, He sure didn't when he sent His Son. If I can give my best for my God, I will; that includes what instruments I use. So truthfully, Taylor...Larivee...Washburn, if it is the best that I can offer then it is what I am going to give.

My Xanga Site
JtChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2004, 03:01 AM   #10
Art
Superfly.

paid
I'll be playing a Taylor when I can afford the one I want. My reason is that I heard very very good things about them from several friends, and finally went to guitar center and put them head to head with the high end Martins. I think that the bright sound produced by a Taylor is well suited to "praise" music, and that is part of why they are so loved in the Christian community... Other than that... what everyone else said.
Unread 01-04-2004, 03:55 AM   #11
Banned

As ANOTHER Proud Taylor owner....(bet you are thinking....oh, no! Here we go again! HE! HE!) I have to agree with what has already been posted. I really don't understand why that instrument seems to be the choice of so many praise and worship bands....because if it is true that they are mostly BEGINNERS....then it would also hold true that a beginner would seem to want something far less expensive! I had to pay $$1,180 for my Taylor 312 CE and that was after months of searching the internet for the best price! So unless these beginners were lawyers and doctors.....I don't really see how that would come about!

Unless you are talking about beginners playing a baby taylor.... which is FAR less expensive! As far as it being a trend....I really don't know....only time will tell! I can tell you that my own personal experience with a Taylor was when I walked into a music store and played one YEARS before I was ever able to financially afford one! THAT was a real BUMMER! For YEARS I always went to music stores and dreamed of having one! (I had a cheapo fender accoustic six string at the time) Then I got a check for a land deal and went and bought one ON THE SPOT! But that was ME!

I had been searching for that bright sound in Martins and other higher end guitars, but they never sounded as bright as a Taylor! So I really can't answer you WHY these praise and worship bands seem to prefer that guitar....only that I haver noticed it too! As far as if it is a bad thing or not?? I don't think it is a bad thing as has been stated as long as the quality is there! BUT.....When a guitar is built on a REPUTATION ONLY.....that is when I have problems with it! I don't mind paying for a good solid quality guitar....I DO mind paying for something I believed was a good solid quality guitar and it turns out to be just the opposite, though!
webe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2004, 03:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKfanSteph
One possible reason is that worship bands often have beginner level players in them. Not a bad thing, we all have to start somewhere. Taylors are very easy to play and still sound great so beginners are comfortable with them.

And many Christians are happy to support a Christian guitar company (or if you want to get technical, a company owned by a Christian), especially one that makes great guitars. Why not?! It may not be (and probably should not be) your primary reason for purchasing the guitar, but for many Christians, it is an incentive.

Let's not forget good advertising! Third Day, Jars of Clay, Steven Curtis Chapman, Phil Keaggy, Jennifer Knapp, Doyle Dykes, Caedmon's Call, Bebo Norman and MANY other Christian aritsts play Taylors. Many of these artists have more than one (or two or three!) so it's not just that they were given a guitar to promote the company's image (Taylor rarely gives guitars to artists) --they came back for more! The name is out there and many people are more inclined to buy a name that's well known and well respected than something they've never heard of. And if great guitar players use them, they must be worth buying, right?

And, of course, new guitar players are influenced by what their "mentors" play, so this gets propigated right down the line.

Is this a bad thing? I don't think so. Now, if Taylor started producing really bad guitars and people kept buying them, THAT would be bad.

So yeah, I agree with gg7 .
i think the first thing that jumped into my mind was the advertising aspect. from someone who doenst play a taylor as my tonal preferences are different, the advertising is probably part of that. the "mentoring" part especially. what you listen to and like you eventually emulate...

but yea i've noticed that with 1 excpetion all the acoustic bands that i know of use taylors. personally i think scc is probably one of the big advertisers. least to me. part of why if i ever get the money i'll eventually get a taylor is so i can come closer to his tone. part of the "if great players use em they must be great" type deal from the above post.
GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2004, 06:56 AM   #13
The Chameleon

Send a message via AIM to Shredcheddar
Thanks alot guys . Just wondering if that was a trend elsewhere.

I mean, it's entirely possible that all of these people have chosen Taylors on the grounds that they just love the way it plays, but I've suspected that part of their buying incentive had to do with the overewhelming popularity of Taylors in their particular market niche.
Unread 01-04-2004, 07:38 AM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to magsepi
I agree with everything that was said in these posts.1. Alot of Christian artists play Taylors and The company is owned by a Christian. Thats one factor.2. Taylor's sound is very well suited for praise and worship music. Taylors have a very bright tone which is suited to the syle of Praise and Worship. My pastors son who leads worship occassionally when hes home from college plays a Taylor. Howvever, there is a worship leader at my church who plays and Epiphone and a Martin...He saod that the taylor sound does not suit him since he also plays with a Christian Band that is very popular in my area.
magsepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2004, 08:13 AM   #15
This Space for rent

Strangely, out of all the praise teams and musicians I know, I only know one with a Taylor. Most of the time the guy that owns it just plays his PRS electric which didn't even cost near as much as the Taylor. I'm a beginner in guitar and there was no stinking way I could afford a Taylor, I went for a semi-el cheap Acoustic/Electric. I have noticed that some people who can't play guitar (even worse than me) get really nice acoustics. That bothers me that they buy them and don't know how to play them, and then never learn. One day I'll get a taylor most likely (when I have the money in like 10 years), but that's only because I've heard there really good, and I'm in love with my friends taylor cause it sounds so prettyful and stuff.