Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Community > CGR Members' Art, Music & Literature
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-29-2003, 01:21 PM   #1
Thinking Summer

Send a message via Yahoo to Jo Mo
The definition of Grace

Read Eph. 2:8, For by Grace are we saved... Some time back the Lord spoke to me and told me to do a study on Grace. I found some really surprising things about the subject, including a special defintion. I looked up Grace in the strongs concordance and I found this wonderful definition. It is," The influence upon the heart and its reflection in the life". Wow, I thought, this is great. So I paraphrase it this way, Grace is God's influence upon the hearts of men and His reflection in their life. Think of it now. When one hears about the saving power of Jesus Christ and believes and recieves Him. Grace comes into the heart of the believer and reflects from inside the heart of the same. Meditate on that for a while and I will be bringing more for you on the subject of Grace.

Jo Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-29-2003, 04:17 PM   #2
TheOldGuy

Grace is a great subject of study.

One of the things that helped me early on in my spiritual walk was this definition of grace...

G - God's
R - Riches
A - At
C - Christ's
E - Expense

I look forward to reading more of your study.
Let me trust You with my life
Let me live to give You praise
Let me praise you for the grace by which I'm saved
Lord, Let me sing
- Andrew Peterson
hockeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2003, 09:33 PM   #3
Thinking Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydad
Grace is a great subject of study.

One of the things that helped me early on in my spiritual walk was this definition of grace...

G - God's
R - Riches
A - At
C - Christ's
E - Expense

I look forward to reading more of your study.
Yeah that is a great way to look at it. And it says it all in a nutshell
Unread 12-30-2003, 12:15 PM   #4
Thinking Summer

We looked at the definition of Grace in my first post. Iwant to thank HockeyDad for his sharing the definition he learned. I remember my expastor shared that quite a while back in a former church I attended. But the definition the Holy Spirit showed me out of the Strongs concordance changed my thinking about Grace forever. It is God moving into the heart of a believer and living and moving and speaking through him. Lets look at our prime example in the Bible. Who is none other than our Lord Jesus Christ. Look in the book of Acts 10:38, "How God anointed Jesus wth the Holy Ghost and with power who went about doing Good and healing all that were oppressed of the devil for God was with Him" Jesus went with His Father abiding within Him and doing marvelous things, but wait,don't stop there. Look over in John 14:10, "...the words I speak I speak not of myself but my Father dwelleth in me, He does the works". Grace at work in Jesus' Life. Now read further down that same passage in John. "... He that beleiveth in me, the works that I do shall he do and greater works than these shall he do.." Whoa, dude, did you see that? He said that we could do greater works than the ones He did. Hey, we are talking about the King of kings and the Lord of lords here, Greater than these works? Think about that for a while and check out the word "works". Did you know that there are two kinds of works in the Bible? Think about it until next time.
Unread 12-30-2003, 01:05 PM   #5
TheOldGuy

So what does it mean if we aren't doing the kind of works spoken about here? Are we not really filled by the Holy Spirit or are we just not being obedient to our call and doing what we are capable of?

I have another comment/question that I would like some opinions on...

We had a Christian speaker come to town this past fall and this event was sponsored by several churches in town. When the format of the event was discussed by representitives from these churches, one church did not want an altar call because they don't believe in them. Their reasonning was that we are all saved by God's grace and that an altar call implies that our salvation is dependant on some action (or work) that we do ourselves.

Personally, I don't buy into that. I believe that we are saved by the grace of God, that His salvation is a gift and that the acceptance of that gift is an action on our part. Romans 10:9 says something like, "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Isn't that confession with your mouth the equivalent of responding to the altar call?

Just wondering what you think about that.
Let me trust You with my life
Let me live to give You praise
Let me praise you for the grace by which I'm saved
Lord, Let me sing
- Andrew Peterson
hockeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2004, 12:30 PM   #6
Thinking Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydad
So what does it mean if we aren't doing the kind of works spoken about here? Are we not really filled by the Holy Spirit or are we just not being obedient to our call and doing what we are capable of?

I have another comment/question that I would like some opinions on...

We had a Christian speaker come to town this past fall and this event was sponsored by several churches in town. When the format of the event was discussed by representitives from these churches, one church did not want an altar call because they don't believe in them. Their reasonning was that we are all saved by God's grace and that an altar call implies that our salvation is dependant on some action (or work) that we do ourselves.

Personally, I don't buy into that. I believe that we are saved by the grace of God, that His salvation is a gift and that the acceptance of that gift is an action on our part. Romans 10:9 says something like, "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Isn't that confession with your mouth the equivalent of responding to the altar call?

Just wondering what you think about that.
In answering the first Question, It is one or the other. The Holy Spirit is essential in the Life of a believer. Jesus said that if he didn't leave to go to the father the Holy Spirit would not come because we would be comfortless.(John 16:7) The Holy Spirit is our lifeline so to speak. Jesus said apart from me you can do nothing.(John 15:5) He said that when the comforter is come , He would lead you and guide into all truth.(John 16: 13) In the Amplified Bible (So called because it amplifies what the words mean in Greek and or hebrew) the Holy Spirits' functions are listed our comfortor, our counselor, guide, and teacher. The Bible teaches that we would be impowered by the Holy spirit to be witnesses for God. Giving us the ability to share the Gospel with anyone we meet.(Acts 1:8)
As to the second part of the your first question. Yes we can fail if we do not obey God in His leading by the Holy Spirit in our life. You see it is up to us whether we want to obey or not obey God. He gave us all a will, whether we choose to obey or not. He loves us and He wants us to love Him back.(John 15:10) Now, I know that this has become a little lengthy,but, bare with me. You asked are we still filled with His Spirit if we disobey. I think that if we are sincere in our hearts and love Him, like king David a man after God's own heart. We can come to realize our mistake and repent before God and correct ourselves and start over.(I John 1:9) But if we continue to rebell against God continuously then the Holy Spirit would have reason to leave. We can go into a lot of discussion about that but I think that I have said enough on that. Now as to my opinion about the meeting you talked about. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Of course, an alter can be anywhere you are, that is the place of prayer. But sometimes there is a need for a step of faith on our part to walk into the presence of God and speak our peace to Him and reason with Him.(Isa. 1:18) Jesus said that if we are ashamed of Him that He would be ashamed of us before the angels and the Father.(mark 8:38) Not that we can show everybody in the presence of a meeting publicly that we mean business as a christian, anybody can do that and say hey I am a christian while God is not immpressed at all. He knows our heart. Whew, I hope that answered your question. Let me know what you think.
Unread 01-01-2004, 01:07 PM   #7
Thinking Summer

In my last posting I said that there were two kinds of works. what does works have to do with grace,seeing that works do not save but Grace by faith? Hang on and I will show you. Look at Ephesians 2:8-9. In verse 9, ".. not of works, lest any man should boast." Works of the flesh will not benefit in our salvation for in the flesh there is no good thing.( Rom.8:1-8) Now read the 10th verse of Eph. 2, " For we are His workmanship created in Christ Jesus unto 'good works'." Hence a second kind of works. The first kind is made by man which profiteth little, but the second kind is made by God.Look in John 14:10, " ..the works that I do the Father in me is doing them" (paraphrased by me) Jesus affirmed that it was His heavenly Father in Him doing the works through Him. This is what I am talking about in my previous post.( go back and check it out if you haven't read it) I like to call the 'good works', God works. Because that is what it is. God in us and through us working all the time as long as we allow Him to.(Ezekiel 11:19-20) Until next time, keep serving Him.
Unread 01-02-2004, 01:02 PM   #8
Thinking Summer

Today I want to look at a couple of scriptures I think will help you understand how to walk in this Grace which we have been studying so far. Let's look at Heb.4:16, "Let us therefore come boldly unto the Throne of Grace, that we may find mercy and Grace to help in the time of need."

He said that we should come boldly before God when we need help for anything. Whether its for forgiveness, or strength in an area of life. Maybe you need help to love someone that is not so loveable. Maybe you are anxious about something that requires time and you need patience. Maybe there is a sin that is overwhelming you and you need strength to say no to temptation. It can be anything. God knows that we are weak in ourselves and He has provided a way out of those weaknesses, Grace is available at your disposal. But there is a key. Pay close attention because this is very important for you to understand. Look at James 4:6, " He gives more grace, wherefore He saith, God resists the proud, but giveth grace to the humble." The word I want you to look at is the word humble. What does it mean exactely? It means to lower ones self, in other words, it means that we must realize that we are nothing in ourselves, and that we are weak in the flesh. there is no good thing in us. This is where I am so amazed at Gods love for us. He doesn't care where we have been or where we are going just so long that we realize our own imperfection and have need of His perfection, His holiness in our lives. Remember the scripture reference I gave out of Ezekiel In one of my previos post? God desires to live on the inside of us and live through us and speak through us, walk in us and be there where ever we go.

I want you to be encourage to go before God without shame and talk to him about your imperfections and ask Him for His help to overcome them. And remember to humble yourself out of a pure heart before Him and welcome His Holy Spirit into your life that you may be impowered to live for God like never before. Say I can't do it, but I know you can Lord. Please strengthen me in this area of my life. I look to you for the ability to overcome the obstacles in my life, in Jesus Name, Amen.

Let me add just one thing. Recieve this Grace by faith(Eph. 2:8) trust God that He will give the strength you need in life. believe me He will, I know because I depend on Him everyday of my life. God bess.
Unread 01-02-2004, 10:22 PM   #9
so much

I think the best, simplest, and most accurate definition of grace I have ever found was that which the AWANA organization uses in all their handbooks: Grace = God giving us a free gift we don't deserve

The last three words, to me, are the most important. See my signature quote from Jennifer Knapp for more on that.

In His love,
Nate

"(a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.
(b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or
recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.
Texas Constitution, Article I, Section 32"
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2004, 08:44 AM   #10
Thinking Summer

I sense the Holy Spirit in my heart to keep this thread alive. So that many will see and learn to walk in his Grace. God bless as you read.
Unread 05-29-2004, 08:57 AM   #11
One blue panda

The Greek word for Grace is Charis, and it's definition is:

favour of the merciful kindness by which God,exerting his holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith, knowledge,affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues, what is due to grace the spiritual condition of one governed by the power of divine grace the token or proof of grace, benefit a gift of grace benefit, bounty thanks,(for benefits, services, favours), recompense, reward.

you can find the exact verses where this word is used at crosswalk.com

Do you believe in magic?
Shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2004, 10:45 AM   #12
Thinking Summer

Whoa Shakespeare, that says it all in a big nutshell. Thanks for the input.
Unread 05-29-2004, 07:51 PM   #13
One blue panda

Quote:
Whoa Shakespeare, that says it all in a big nutshell. Thanks for the input.
Thanks, funny how the NT was written in Greek (a very logical, precise language) so that key concepts could be fully understood

Do you believe in magic?
Shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2004, 04:37 AM   #14
No Condemnation

Grace has often been defined as Godís unmerited favour. Thatís roughly comparable to describing an atom bomb as something that blows up! Itís correct, but terribly incomplete. We will never understand Godís grace in its totality, until we behold him face to face. Here on earth, we need him to reveal it to us, itís not something we learn by studying, or even by experience. Gods grace encompasses all that he is. What it should mean to you is simply; do not be afraid.

Grace, mercy and peace be multiplied to you in abundance by God our father and the Lord Jesus Christ. The word was made flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld his glory, the glory of the only begotten son of the Father, full of grace and truth. Out of his abundance we have all received grace, blessings, gifts and favour piled one on top of the other. For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ [John 1 v 14, 16, 17].

We do not have a High Priest who cannot be touched with the feeling of our weaknesses; he was in all points tempted like we are, yet without sin; let us therefore come with courage to his throne of grace, to obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need [Hebrews 4 v 15, 16]. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever, so there is no need to go wandering off after strange doctrines, it is good that your heart should be established in his grace [Hebrews 13 v 8, 9].

We were once foolish, disobedient, deceived serving various lusts and pleasures living in malice and envy, being hateful and hating each other; but after the kindness, love and mercy of God our saviour towards mankind appeared, he saved us; not by works of righteousness which weíve done, but by the washing of regeneration, and the renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured on us abundantly; through Jesus Christ our saviour. Now being justified by his grace we have been made heirs of eternal life [Titus 3 v 3 Ė 7].

The law was given so that offences might abound; but where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, so that just as sin reigned ending in death, even so grace might reign through the gift of righteousness, ending in eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord [Romans 5 v 20, 21]. For if death reigned because of one mansí offence, much more shall those who receive of the abundance of Gods grace, and the gift of his righteousness reign in life, because of the one man, Jesus Christ [Romans 5 v 17].

For sin shall no longer have dominion over you: you are not under the law, but under grace [Romans 6 v 14]. Consider and realise, that you are now dead to sins power; but in unbroken living fellowship with God through Jesus Christ our lord. Therefore do not let sin reign in your fleshly body, obeying its lust.

The strength of sin is the law, stand fast therefore in the wonderful freedom into which Christ has brought us, and do not be entangled again in the yoke of bondage. Christ has become of no effect to you, whoever of you thinks that he can be justified by the law; you have fallen from grace [Galatians 5 v 1, 4]. I do not frustrate the Grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain [Galatians 2 v 21]. For God made Jesus, the one who knew no sin, to be sin for us; so that we could be made the righteousness of God in him [2 Corinthians 5 v 16]. Therefore as workers together with God we plead with you that you do not receive the grace of God in vain [2 Corinthians 6 v 1].

Let the words of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching, and admonishing one other in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord [Colossians 3 v 16]. Let your conversation always be filled with grace and guided by the Holy Spirit, seasoned with salt as it were, so that you may know how you should respond to everyone [Colossians 4 v 6]. As each of you has received a spiritual gift, minister that gift to one another as a good steward [1 Peter 4 v 10]. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all now.

See Don Franciscos "promises" cd for more studies like this.
Unread 05-31-2004, 02:19 PM   #15
Thinking Summer

Thanks s0233425, very indepth. Thanks for your input.