Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-19-2004, 10:01 PM   #46

schecter and esp basses are great for the money in my opinion. my friends have both. one is an ESP B305 (five string setneck) very nice. kinda a different creature than the fender type stuff you guys are talking about, but for like $400....it's awesome. very very clean sounding...if you're into the whole vintage vibe thing, it might not be for you, but the thing sustains forever and stays in tune. overall wonderful. i forget the exact model of the schecter, but it's one of the nicer models. about the same set up as the ESP, but 4 string. about the same price, but looks better than and ESP and has some better stuff like grover tuners and what not. both have active EQ's/passive pickups. very nice stuff. extremely good value!

overlandsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-02-2004, 05:02 PM   #47
!MUDVAYNE FAN!

Well I got the Epiphone Les Paul and I had it for awhile now and sorry I didn't tell you guys and all, but it's really good. It has two tone adjusters, one volume, and one presence adjuster. Real good bass. I play it from normal tuning all the way down to low tuning(Mudvayne sounds) and the thing makes a great sound! Now all I need is an amp and I'm looking at this Hartke. I posted a topic about the amp. To see the topic go here. Post something if you guys want...well thanks for all your help!
Thrice
Incubus
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Lostprophets

Lostprophets Fan Website
Powerman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2004, 05:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerman5000
It has two tone adjusters, one volume, and one presence adjuster.
Presence adjuster and two tone adjusters?

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2004, 05:33 PM   #49
!MUDVAYNE FAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Presence adjuster and two tone adjusters?

Chesh
Not to be mean but what do you mean?

Well, if you don't get it then I'll try to explain.

Tone Adjuster: I can make my bass sound different by adjusting this knob. I have two tone adjuster's so I can make my bass sound like a rock bass, funk bass, and other different kinds of sounds.
Presence: It makes your strings more sensible, which means if you touch a string with the Presence all the way down then you'll hear the touch very little. If you touch a string with a presence all the way up then you'll hear the touch pretty loud.

Hope that helps.
Thrice
Incubus
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Lostprophets

Lostprophets Fan Website
Unread 02-03-2004, 02:55 AM   #50

Quote:
Not to be mean but what do you mean?

Well, if you don't get it then I'll try to explain.

Tone Adjuster: I can make my bass sound different by adjusting this knob. I have two tone adjuster's so I can make my bass sound like a rock bass, funk bass, and other different kinds of sounds.
Presence: It makes your strings more sensible, which means if you touch a string with the Presence all the way down then you'll hear the touch very little. If you touch a string with a presence all the way up then you'll hear the touch pretty loud.

Hope that helps.
Riiigghtt.

Okay, you're talking to a guy who built his own bass, with active pickups and EQ circuitry.

I've never heard of any kind of tone control or EQ circuit that had genric presets, such as "rock" or "funk". Also, I'm not familiar with a presence control for a guitar or bass. That's a new one on me. Is that supposed to be like the presence control on an amp?

Also, I've never heard the term "adjuster" used when referring to onboard controls.

According to the Gibson website, the regular, standard Gibson Les Paul Bass has the following:

Quote:
ELECTRONICS
Pickups: Dual TB Plus humbuckers
Controls: Two volume, two tone, three-way switch
I'm not exactly sure how the Epiphone Les Paul Bass greatly differs, apart from the fact that I notice there doesn't seem to be a three way toggle. Weird. What, does it use a blend pot?

Did you get the Regular or the V. Hornsby?

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying

Last edited by CheshireCat; 02-03-2004 at 03:01 AM.
Unread 02-04-2004, 01:28 PM   #51

I once had a Gibson Les Paul Bass (4 string, ebony fingerboard, quilted top). The case had this nasty pink/red silk type cloth inside that covered the bass. Anyways..I hated the sound of that bass, I guess it's really a rock bass (dual humbuckers) because I could never get tones I liked out of it for playing in church, jazz band, or jamming at home. Sold for a '75 Reissue Fender Jazz (Made In Japan), which tones that better match what was in my head!
Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2004, 04:09 PM   #52
!MUDVAYNE FAN!

Quote:
I've never heard of any kind of tone control or EQ circuit that had genric presets, such as "rock" or "funk". Also, I'm not familiar with a presence control for a guitar or bass. That's a new one on me. Is that supposed to be like the presence control on an amp?
Okay, there are no presets. What I mean you adjust them and they make a different sound you turn the knob. If you put both knobs in the right position it gives the bass a funk sound or if you put the two knobs in another position they'll make a rock sound. Really you just move them around to make the sound you want...that's all.

The presence control is the same as the one's on the amp.

But really I'm am happy with the bass.
Thrice
Incubus
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Lostprophets

Lostprophets Fan Website
Unread 02-04-2004, 04:44 PM   #53

Quote:
Okay, there are no presets. What I mean you adjust them and they make a different sound you turn the knob. If you put both knobs in the right position it gives the bass a funk sound or if you put the two knobs in another position they'll make a rock sound. Really you just move them around to make the sound you want...that's all.
Oh, okay. So, let me get this straight. You have two tone controls? What, one for each pickup? Are you sure that one of them is not a blend pot? Also, how do you select between the two pickups? Do you have a toggle switch or a selector switch?

Quote:
The presence control is the same as the one's on the amp.
Where did you get this bass? Is it stock, or did you get it from someone who hotrodded it?

Quote:
But really I'm am happy with the bass.
Well, that's good.

Chesh

Unread 02-06-2004, 04:12 PM   #54
!MUDVAYNE FAN!

Quote:
Oh, okay. So, let me get this straight. You have two tone controls? What, one for each pickup? Are you sure that one of them is not a blend pot? Also, how do you select between the two pickups? Do you have a toggle switch or a selector switch?
First of all the two pickups are always playable I just put my thumb on the rester on the one I wanna play and I play and the two tone adjuster's control both pickups at the same time.

Now this bass I got from a local shop and was owned by someone else but was in great condition, but I don't know what he did with it? So, he might have added some things to the bass but I don't know...
Thrice
Incubus
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Lostprophets

Lostprophets Fan Website
Unread 02-06-2004, 04:56 PM   #55

Quote:
First of all the two pickups are always playable I just put my thumb on the rester on the one I wanna play and I play and the two tone adjuster's control both pickups at the same time.

Now this bass I got from a local shop and was owned by someone else but was in great condition, but I don't know what he did with it? So, he might have added some things to the bass but I don't know...
Well, I would definitely think so because that doesn't sound stock at all, especially for an Epi.

So, both pickups are on all the time, and you press one in order to select it?

Chesh

Unread 02-07-2004, 09:17 AM   #56
!MUDVAYNE FAN!

Quote:
Well, I would definitely think so because that doesn't sound stock at all, especially for an Epi.

So, both pickups are on all the time, and you press one in order to select it?

Chesh
]

no you just put your hand over it and start playing just like a normal bass that has two pickups...
Thrice
Incubus
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Lostprophets

Lostprophets Fan Website
Unread 02-07-2004, 01:48 PM   #57

Quote:
]

no you just put your hand over it and start playing just like a normal bass that has two pickups...
So, both pickups are on all the time?

Chesh

Unread 02-07-2004, 06:21 PM   #58

Yes, Ibanez Soundgear all the way one sweet guitar that I own!!
240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2004, 03:37 PM   #59
!MUDVAYNE FAN!

Quote:
So, both pickups are on all the time?

Chesh
correct...it works and sounds fine to me...
Thrice
Incubus
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Lostprophets

Lostprophets Fan Website
Unread 02-14-2004, 05:17 PM   #60

Quote:
correct...it works and sounds fine to me...
Oh, well, cool. No worries. I just thought I was missing something.

Chesh