Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-25-2003, 01:12 PM   #1
need a job in Rapid City

telecoustic

Has anyone ever played one of these? What did you think?

bpeltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-25-2003, 01:15 PM   #2

Over-rated/over-hyped - looks cool hanging on a wall, but doesn't sound like an acoustic.

For the $280 or whatever they cost though, I certainly wouldn't expect anything more. A Johnson acoustic on eBay for $99 will give you better tone both plugged in and unplugged.

PacifiCustom Pedals
ryanspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2003, 02:34 PM   #3
Laconic Geezer Veep

paid
Quote:
Over-rated/over-hyped - looks cool hanging on a wall, but doesn't sound like an acoustic.
ditto. Your money can be spent much better on another guitar.

CGR journal :: Twitter :: LinkedIn :: Facebook :: Google Profile :: Wordpress
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2003, 03:15 PM   #4

Cool

I played one for a couple minutes in a store once acoustically, it reminds me of a Kramer Ferrington I have. They sound small, and just don't provide a satisfying, real acoustic tone; the longer you play one, the more apparent that becomes. They do however, make an excellent guitar to leave on a stand in the corner of your living room - to just pick up and play when you're watching tv, or listening to music. Very comfortable to play while relaxing on the couch. If you are primarily an electric player like me, and just want an acoustic to use live on occasion, you might be ok with it - my Ferrington sounds ok for an acoustic rythym part on the odd song or two, but definitely not a serious acoustic guitar...
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2003, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
If you are primarily an electric player like me, and just want an acoustic to use live on occasion, you might be ok with it - my Ferrington sounds ok for an acoustic rythym part on the odd song or two, but definitely not a serious acoustic guitar...
If you need the occasional acoustc sound, you might be better served to outfit your current guitar with a GraphTech GHOST Modular Pickup System, which gives you both MIDI and Piezo-acoustic. You can add the MIDI later - it's all modular so it's PIAPS - "plug in and play" simple. (The acoustic preamp and the MIDI connector/router piggyback on each other and take up less than 2 cubic inches in your solid body guitar.)

That way, instead of having to switch guitars or have your acoustic sitting on a stand for the whole gig (fine if you have a bunch of roadies working for you, following your every step), you can just flip a switch and have instant acoustic. Also, with the special saddle pieces, you'll get a warmer, richer, more midrangey sound, which is nice.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying

Last edited by CheshireCat; 11-25-2003 at 03:29 PM.
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2003, 04:00 PM   #6
Good Grief!!!

I like Telecasters, but I also play a full-bodied acoustic, and that just makes guitars like the Telecoustic seem wierd to me. Many of the Telecoustics that I've seen at music stores weren't very good on the fit & finish end of things either (poor fretwork and wood finishing especially).

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2003, 04:35 PM   #7
Pillar

I played one today at GC. It sounded great plugged into 500 dollar Fender accoustic, but like a tin box unplugged. I love the candy apple red one and have to play it every now and then to remind myself why don't buy one. It's got to be the best looking flop of a guitar ever made.

I also played the the thin line Martin CE, that's like $579. It sounds better, but still thin. Either way you need a PA, accoustic amp, or key board amp to play them through.

edited April 2005
pillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2003, 07:24 PM   #8
I am not my own

Send a message via MSN to DarylB
Absolute Crap

DarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2003, 09:16 PM   #9
Banned

Send a message via AIM to emo_boy Send a message via Yahoo to emo_boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylB
Absolute Crap
emo_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2003, 11:21 PM   #10

Quote:
It's got to be the best looking flop of a guitar ever made.
But definitely not the only one!

Quote:
Absolute Crap
No, guys, really, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel!

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2003, 03:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
No, guys, really, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel!

Chesh
lol yea go for it, just be careful of the explitives... i dont feel like editing them... :klol:

:kgrin:
GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2003, 10:18 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to elijah77jc Send a message via MSN to elijah77jc Send a message via Yahoo to elijah77jc
if you are asking about this because you are interested in buying one, please take everyones advice and DO NOT BUT A TELACOUSTIC!

i did the same thing a few months ago but it was with a Stratacoustic and everyone told me pretty much the same thing, lol but did i listen? of course not i went ahead and ordered it and much to my suprise it WAS a piece of crap just like everyone said

if looks were all that mattered, then this would be an AWESOME guitar. and it still is an awesome guitar if you NEVER play it now if you just want a practice guitar that you can play in the house without bothering anyone, this is pretty good because they don't make much noise unplugged but i promise you'll never be happy with it's plugged in sound. lol the thing is made out of fiberglass and plastic!

luckily though i was able to trade it in at the local guitar store for a full body acoustic/electric. i also had to throw in $400 but after playing with that, it was well worth it
Unread 11-28-2003, 03:12 PM   #13
seeking God

if you're gonna get an acoustic guitar, get a real acoustic guitar. seriously folks.

granted, there are some very good small bodied acoustics-some upper level ovations(they have a premiere series now, forgot what its called) can be tweaked to sound good, and then theres the Gibson Chet Atkins SST model, which sounds pretty good plugged in, and of course the Anderson Crowdster guitar, which is like whoa. But i'm doubting anyone around here has the money/need for a guitar like that.

get a real acoustic.
Unread 11-28-2003, 10:48 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to elijah77jc Send a message via MSN to elijah77jc Send a message via Yahoo to elijah77jc
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeo
and of course the Anderson Crowdster guitar, which is like whoa. But i'm doubting anyone around here has the money/need for a guitar like that.
hey georgeo, i think i'vce seen you mention the Crowdster a couple of times, have you been able to play one before? i saw somewhere else that you met david crowder so i was just wondering it IS my dream guitar
Unread 11-28-2003, 11:10 PM   #15
seeking God

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah77jc
hey georgeo, i think i'vce seen you mention the Crowdster a couple of times, have you been able to play one before? i saw somewhere else that you met david crowder so i was just wondering it IS my dream guitar
i talked to crowder about his guitars, he loves them for their feel and plugged in sound, and i agreed they sounded great.
i haven't played one, very few stores have them, Anderson Guitars is a small company, but if had another $3000....