Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > S
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rate the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 2 2.04%
4 1 1.02%
5 1 1.02%
6 1 1.02%
7 2 2.04%
8 6 6.12%
9 28 28.57%
10 57 58.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-21-2003, 07:02 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Skillet - Collide

Tracks
1. Forasaken
2. Savior
3. Collide
4. A Little More
5. My Obsession
6. Fingernails
7. Imperfection
8. Under My Skin
9. Energy
10. Cycle Down

For more on Skillet, click here.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-21-2003, 07:13 PM   #2

So far... this is the best skillet album. I'll admit I love industrial.. and I thought nothing could outdo alien youth. But man was I wrong. This album is just so intense and in your face. The guitars are huge! The vocals are amazing... It just meshes so well together. There aren't any songs that I skip over while listening to it... They are just so good. What is more amazing is that each track sounds really unique. So each track seems fresh and new. This album is really good news for skillet. I'm sure it will be the best selling album; the genre is so big now.

This album really is a 10/10.
Visirale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2003, 11:53 PM   #3

Wow. This is a GREAT CD. When you hear that this is supposed to be a hard rock CD, believe it. But don't think that this is a generic nu-metal CD. It isn't.

The songs are all great. The lyrics are good. The music, especially the guitar and Korey's great strings-on-the-keys stuff, is just phenomenal. Also, John's gritty vocals are widely used, and in great ways. He even screams at times. He can scream well. Yes.

If you like hard rock, buy this album, even if you absolutely hated Skillet's last album, Alien Youth.

~Jon
Jonular is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2003, 10:52 AM   #4
No 1337 outside CPF!

*Can't wait to hear it*

Quote:
"Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary."
-C.S.Lewis in Mere Christianity
I scream for the dead children whose screams are stifled by the word "Choice"!
Mathaytace ><> is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2003, 07:11 PM   #5

I'm already partial to Skillet obviously, but I bought the cd today and it is COMPLETELY awesome! I really expected it to be good, but man, Skillet rocks.
Unread 12-19-2003, 09:29 PM   #6
knows so little

Go skillet

Skillet is by far my favorite band at the moment, i think they'll be holding that spot for a very long time. I loved this cd and was disapointed to hear it only have 10 tracks i think there shoulda been more, 10 is very small, perhaps 12 or even 13... anything really woulda done but oh well i'm really happy with what they delivered. new cd new style good music, combination works for me.

-Shaner
Shaneathin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2003, 11:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneathin86
Skillet is by far my favorite band at the moment, i think they'll be holding that spot for a very long time. I loved this cd and was disapointed to hear it only have 10 tracks i think there shoulda been more, 10 is very small, perhaps 12 or even 13... anything really woulda done but oh well i'm really happy with what they delivered. new cd new style good music, combination works for me.

-Shaner
Yeah, I prefer lots of songs myself too. However, I this CD is worth an exception. This is by no means a short CD. The shortest song is 3 minutes 56 seconds. The CD is over 45 minutes. Thats a completely normal length for a CD. From reading interviews, they really seemed to want to trim any fat off this CD. They wanted 10 solid songs that fit together. All killer and no filler. Thats what this CD is.

Unread 12-25-2003, 12:41 PM   #8
Buck Up!

Send a message via AIM to jguitarfreak
Hate to break up the party, I listened to some tracks on Skillets new cd and quite frankly, I wasn't impressed at all. It sounded just like any other generic hard rock band out there. I think kory's keys really gave Skillet their sigature sound and they don't have nearly as much of it. It's not a bad CD, but it seems like their selling out and just trying to sell more records.

"Some people make headlines while others make history."

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic."

"You really should get out more."
-Count of Monte Cristo

Current gear:

Amp: 1967 Fender Bassman head w/ Fender 212 cab
Guitars: MIM Fender strat w/ lace sensors holy grail PUPS and locking tuners, 2001 Taylor 310 w/ Fishman matrix

Effects: Boss Super Overdrive, Boss Overdrive/Distortion, Ibanez Delay/Echo, Ibanez Chorous/Flanger, Vox wah.
jguitarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2003, 02:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguitarfreak
Hate to break up the party, I listened to some tracks on Skillets new cd and quite frankly, I wasn't impressed at all. It sounded just like any other generic hard rock band out there. I think kory's keys really gave Skillet their sigature sound and they don't have nearly as much of it. It's not a bad CD, but it seems like their selling out and just trying to sell more records.
I think that's going to be the general response from the people who despise most generic hard rock and like Skillet's also pretty generic more pop rock sound with keys.

I like hard rock more, so I'm biased, just like everybody else. But I don't think it's all that generic, especially with John Cooper's gritty vocals (certainly doesn't sound that much like Creed, which I'm most certainly thankful for).

And I definitely don't think Skillet is selling out in any way.

~Jon
Unread 12-25-2003, 03:24 PM   #10

should i get this cd for wilfredo for christmas?
Ron Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2003, 12:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguitarfreak
I think kory's keys really gave Skillet their sigature sound and they don't have nearly as much of it. It's not a bad CD, but it seems like their selling out and just trying to sell more records.
Skillet never had a signature sound. Each album has been very different. They openly admit to being influenced by trends in music. This has been apperently with every single one of their albums.

Changing your sound to sell records isn't selling out. You have to go against some conviction for profit to sell out. Since they've never held any such convictions I don't see how they could be selling out. Further, their techno/industrial/pop albums were far more commercial. When they released Invinsible they had their biggest hit by far. If they sold out with this album, they definately sold out with that album.

Unread 12-26-2003, 12:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
When they released Invinsible they had their biggest hit by far.
I don't know if you're talking about biggest hit album or song, but as of September, according to Ben (he told me personally), Alien Youth was their best selling album, and had sold around 110,000 copies.

~Jon
Unread 12-26-2003, 02:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemOfAJon
I don't know if you're talking about biggest hit album or song, but as of September, according to Ben (he told me personally), Alien Youth was their best selling album, and had sold around 110,000 copies.

~Jon
I was refering to singles. I read an interview where John said "Best Kept Secret" has been their biggest hit single. He also said that lots of little kids started going to their shows when it came out. He was really confused to see 8 year olds with their parents at their shows.

Unread 12-30-2003, 08:50 PM   #14
Be happy

I gave it a 9 to say that I believe it is a staple for the hard rock genre. This CD is awesome. John Cooper is amazing as usual. The keyboards have taken a bit of a backseat but the music is still awesome. Skillet fans and hard rock fans, do not miss this CD.
Unread 12-30-2003, 08:54 PM   #15
Dogbert's back!

It's quite a change in their music, and I'm not one for hard music, but this was ok to me.
Jenacen is offline   Reply With Quote