Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > S
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rate the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 2 2.04%
4 1 1.02%
5 1 1.02%
6 1 1.02%
7 2 2.04%
8 6 6.12%
9 28 28.57%
10 57 58.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-30-2003, 09:37 PM   #16
Guitars are cool

I gotta give Skillet some mad props for this album. I find it being harder and harder for me to go back and listen to their older stuff because this is just so much more different from their previous albums.

I mean, what's not to love about this album. John's gritty, yet emotional vocals (all while playing bass!), Ben's heavy rhythm and (surprisingly enough) guitar solos, Korey's top notch keyboard playing, and Lori's incredible drumming.

Honestly, I had a few doubts about this album, considering how much I LOVED their older sounds with the more keyboard driven songs. But, really... all I can say about this is wow. Everything just came out perfect (or at least, as perfect as something can get here on earth).

The only thing I don't like is "A Little More" simply because it's such a break in the energy of the CD. Don't get me wrong, it's a great song, but its just kinda like the CD goes up and then just drops out when "A Little More" comes on and then jumps back up on "My Obsession" (which is arguably the best song on the album).

Overall, I'd give it a 9.5 (docking those 0.5 points for "A Little More"), but since I can't do that, I just gave it a 10 on the poll. Now, go buy it if you haven't!!!!!

Unread 12-31-2003, 12:56 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_Avalanche
John's gritty, yet emotional vocals (all while playing bass!),
There is pretty much a zero percent chance he tracked the vocals and bass parts at the same time.

...of course, live would be something different all together...

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 10:22 AM   #18
Guitars are cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
Which is what I was thinking of... I'd love to hear this new stuff live.

I know as well as anyone else that hardly no one tracks two things at once anymore (especially vocals and guitar or bass).
Unread 12-31-2003, 12:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
I promise, they are just as good live. I haven't heard the newer stuff, but I've been to a few concerts of theirs and John's voice even sounds better live even when he is playing bass.
Unread 12-31-2003, 01:11 PM   #20
No 1337 outside CPF!

if you guys are surprised to hear them drop the keys, you should check out their first album....

Quote:
"Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary."
-C.S.Lewis in Mere Christianity
I scream for the dead children whose screams are stifled by the word "Choice"!
Mathaytace ><> is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2004, 04:56 PM   #21
your tone's all wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathaytace ><>
if you guys are surprised to hear them drop the keys, you should check out their first album....
First album: Different band.
Unread 01-01-2004, 05:24 PM   #22
No 1337 outside CPF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared
First album: Different band.
HUH? Are you being literal?

Quote:
"Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary."
Unread 01-01-2004, 10:10 PM   #23
Caleb (C-DAWG) Waggoner

Send a message via AIM to SuperMan100789 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperMan100789
OH YEAH

hey all, this is my first post ever, and i think collide is by far their best cd yet, well, thats my opinion at least, im more into hard rock stuff more than electronica stuff. Do u guys kno how so many p/p say that christians shouldnt listen to hard stuff cuz when the music is loud, u cant connect to it?BULL!!!!!! when i listened to collide, i totally connected w/ it, there are lots of songs like that for me (meant to live, switchfoot; remember, Big Dismal; smalltown, Thousand Foot Krutch; a little more, skillet; in my head, 12 stones; the way i feel, 12 stones just to name a few more). now, not that im alll against old p/p, but it seems that mostly the p/p like that, that hate n/e thing w/ a "stong beat" as they say (even tho music is a beat, that just what it is, there is no music w/o a beat) cant be real music, "its not fit to listen to", are older p/p, its probably bcuz they were just raised in a different time, a WAY different time, we can connect w/ our hard rock music in the same way that they connect to their old hymns, i for one would like to see more contemporary music in churches today, i dont mean like hard rock screaming and stuff, just like faster moving more comtemporary praise and worship stuff like off of skillets "worship live" cd, that would be great! thnx for reading this whole thing!
SuperMan100789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2004, 01:58 PM   #24
your tone's all wrong.

Quote:
HUH? Are you being literal?
Yes I am.

Since the first album, the original drummer has been replaced, the guitarist has been replaced twice, and a keyboardist has been added.

It's basically a different band.
Unread 01-02-2004, 02:48 PM   #25
No 1337 outside CPF!

Than would you say Hey You, I Love your Soul is a different band? it was the same three guys as the first.

Actually you didn't get the current line up until Alien Youth

Quote:
Unread 01-02-2004, 03:34 PM   #26
your tone's all wrong.

Quote:
Than would you say Hey You, I Love your Soul is a different band? it was the same three guys as the first.
...with the addition of Korey. She has songwriting and vocal credits. She provided all drum loops and keys on the Hey You... tour.
Skidd Mills and Chris Reyes also had a large part of the band's altered sound, as they provided the loops and programming in cooperation with John (the band's only constant).

Quote:
Actually you didn't get the current line up until Alien Youth
Not to be unnecessarily confrontational, but what's your point? Invincible, the transition between Hey You... and Alien Youth, was still masterminded by John and Skidd. They provided most of the guitars and all of the loops (with the exception of a few done by Matt Browning).

Basically, the only two points in Skillet's history that are defined by a cohesive, single-minded band are the first and last two albums. The time in between was very much in limbo. And the vast difference between Skillet and Alien Youth is explained by the new roster of band members.

Last edited by Jared; 01-02-2004 at 03:43 PM.
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 07:51 AM   #27
No 1337 outside CPF!

Huh, I learned something.... I didn't know Korey was on Hey you....

cool

God Bless!

Quote:
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:22 AM   #28
your tone's all wrong.

Quote:
Huh, I learned something.... I didn't know Korey was on Hey you....

cool

God Bless!
She co-wrote "Whirlwind" and "Coming Down" (I think). She sang on "Whirlwind."

She plays no instruments on the album, but she did the electronic stuff on tour.
Unread 01-08-2004, 05:31 PM   #29
skillet fan

to sum it up, wow. this is an amazing album. i dont have their other albums, but i want them. i know they are a different style, but who cares? skillet is awesome. my faves are a little more, imperfection and the rest. a definite 10!!!
Unread 01-10-2004, 09:35 PM   #30

i agree it is the best one yet i like how they have become more heavy sounding band
guitarplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote