Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Community > Academic > Government & Economics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2003, 04:21 PM   #1
Crushy McSternum

U.S. Constitution: Outdated? Useless?

Okay... I've been reading more and more about how, in debate and such, people argue that the Constitution should not be the highest man-made laws in the country because it is so old and can be taken is so many ways, blah blah blah.
Personally, I disagree. To change the very set of laws the country was founded on is idiocy at its peak, to be blunt.
Anyway... I'm just trying to explore opinions and such. What thinkest thou, deep people of the world?
(Sorry if this goes somewhere else, mods.)

Jason

Now thou hast loved me one whole day,
To-morrow when thou leavest, what wilt thou say ?
Wilt thou then antedate some new-made vow ?
Or say that now
We are not just those persons which we were ?
-Woman's Constancy (John Donne)
H.M. Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2003, 04:26 PM   #2
Fabulous!

paid
Send a message via Yahoo to Bryan Send a message via Skype™ to Bryan
off to Government and Economics this goes...

woosh
Old 11-19-2003, 08:58 PM   #3
Real candidate of change

Send a message via AIM to JerryLove
The law should be consistant, but it should never stand still. The argument to remove the constitution s, I suspect, a straw man... Now if you want to argue weather the constitution should be unalterable or not, that would be hypocritical (as the Constitution has provisions for it's own change).
JerryLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:00 PM   #4
A fan of the lemer[sic]

Send a message via AIM to +Donny
Yes, this is sort of a tough question. The Constitution says itself to be the supreme law of the land, but also is alterable (as men are fallible). This means that the Constitution, plus any amendments, is the supreme law of the land. The Supreme Court is supposed to make sure other laws don'g violate the supreme law of the land and, provided a large majority of states in favor, the Constitution (and thus the supreme law of the land) can be altered.

So Jerry is right. The highest law in this country is not static and does change. This is good, as men find mistakes or good and beneficial additions to add to the Constitution, they can act accordingly. Because of the high number of states needed to approve of the amendment, this isn't easy, obviously to prevent tyrants trying to change the Constitution to fit their needs (as some claim happened with the civil war era and those amendments). So what the "Constitution" says really depends on what time period you speak of because of the amendments. As far as interpretting the Constitution's meaning, that is the Supreme Court's job. Because of the high status of their job, they should be checked against bad decisions better than they are, but thus is our system.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:32 AM   #5
Is Back!

Send a message via AIM to Brandon Send a message via MSN to Brandon
The Constitution of the United States is a LIVING DOCUMENT.

This means it is able to change and be changed. Ever up to standards, It is the supreme law of the land...
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:02 AM   #6
הדו ליהוה כי־טוב

The Constitution is the highest law in the land and has a mechanism for its own evolution such as to stay consistent with the changing needs of society. That mechanism is amendment. The amendment process is deliberately difficult and slow-moving. This is good. The people who want the Constitution to no longer be considered the highest law are those who hold views that are contra to the founding principles of our country, or who want law to change with the whim of popular trend. The Constitution is not static, but it is authoritative.

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:12 AM   #7
No 1337 outside CPF!

[sarcasm]No, I don't think we should have free speach.

I don't think that we should be given the right to practice our faith freely.

We definitely should not have the right to defend ourselves.

[/sarcasm]

Now, I stand beside the constitution.

Many have died for the Rights I hold as a citizen of this country. I thank each and every one of them.

I am grateful for this incredible document!

Quote:
"Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary."
-C.S.Lewis in Mere Christianity
I scream for the dead children whose screams are stifled by the word "Choice"!
Mathaytace ><> is offline   Reply With Quote