Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-05-2004, 11:05 AM   #91
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
True, but it still is slightly ironic... But that happens a lot in the guitar making business huh?

Sponsored Links
Unread 01-05-2004, 11:13 AM   #92
New Recruit!

Send a message via ICQ to oxYgen Send a message via AIM to oxYgen Send a message via MSN to oxYgen Send a message via Yahoo to oxYgen
If I were a newbie, this would have been nice- would have prevented me from being told how great my Fender Squier was 4 years ago, lol....ahh well...
Unread 01-05-2004, 11:27 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainer123
True, but it still is slightly ironic... But that happens a lot in the guitar making business huh?
Yep!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxYgen
If I were a newbie, this would have been nice- would have prevented me from being told how great my Fender Squier was 4 years ago, lol....ahh well...
That would almost be funny if it wasn't so painfully true. That right there is why I post half of the posts I post.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
Unread 01-05-2004, 11:45 AM   #94
New Recruit!

Send a message via ICQ to oxYgen Send a message via AIM to oxYgen Send a message via MSN to oxYgen Send a message via Yahoo to oxYgen
Quote:
That would almost be funny if it wasn't so painfully true. That right there is why I post half of the posts I post.
Haha- it's funny now, in a way...I'm finally buying a new guitar in a month or so- at least now I have a good knowledge- I plan on purchasing the Ibanez SA160QM, **drool**...:P
Unread 01-16-2004, 10:07 AM   #95

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
probably south Korean...made in Seoul, or somewhere around there...I say this because I don't think N. Korea produces much of anything for export to the US.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 01-16-2004, 11:13 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_me07
Rac*st

Is that south korea or north? [Ed. note: the offending post has been removed]
RACIST!?! EXCUSE ME!?! WHO ARE YOU CALLING RACIST!?! (From your post's title? "Rac*st"? Remember?)

What are you? A Flame-Baiter!?! That is incredibly insulting and patently untrue.

Dude, if you are going to pull that crap and throw down, be prepared to back it up.

Are you not aware that a lot of cheap (er, cost effective) stuff is made off-shore, i.e. in the Pacific Islands and in Taiwan, Korea, and other such countries?

Or how about the fact that whenever I go into GC, almost (or over) half of the guitars have these little 0.5" stickers on the heal of the neck that say "Made In Korea". Or have you not noticed?

Or, for that matter, Human Slavery is still alive and well in the world, and more rampant and vile than ever. And, occuring in most civilized nations as well as Third World Countries. Ever heard of Kathy Lee Gifford?

Like I said, if you are going to throw down, be able to back it up, and don't start off one of your first, introductory posts, by flaming and name calling. Is that how you introduce yourself to a person and a thread? By insulting people?

If you want to challenge me on a point, that's fine, but be civil and respectful about it, and put it within the context of the post.

Also, don't quote the entire friggin' post just to put one stupid line! Actually isolate the actual bit that you want to quote! Seriously, learn some freaking netiquette. What, are you too lazy to flame properly someone you don't even know?

Also, actually have a point to make and value to add. And, when I say have a point to make, I mean an edifying one beyond the point that you just want to flame someone and bait flame in return.

For someone named Yoda, I don't get you as very wise.

Okay, rant over, back to the subject at hand.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying

Last edited by CheshireCat; 01-18-2004 at 03:02 AM.
Unread 01-16-2004, 12:21 PM   #97

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled program . . . .

Another bit of conventional wisdom is the admontion that you should never just buy a certain guitar because someone says so. Hmmmmmmmmm. Don't know. I could go either way. Blindly following the suggestion of one person who has a modest or moderate amount of street cred is one thing, but then there's a lot to be said for research, and getting many people's opinions.

What do you guys think?

Buy a well recognized, quality starter-guitar based on recommendation, or try to make the decision totally research and personal experience driven? Keep in mind the fact that the personal experience of a newbie isn't that valuable as a guide for the reasons delineated in the first post. (If you are new to this thread and don't follow that line of argument, then go back and read (reread) the first post.)

Chesh

Unread 01-16-2004, 12:34 PM   #98
Just an Average CGR User.

Send a message via AIM to bigpirate Send a message via MSN to bigpirate Send a message via Yahoo to bigpirate
Quote:
For someone named Yoda, I don't get you as very wise.
that is hilarious...

yeah yoda, that is totally not in the spirit of this site to do that sort of thing... if I have ever had a temptation to neg rep... it is now.

I know I have had wonderful experiences with my "Made in China" Washburn guitars, but perhaps I am just lucky... also the electrics tend not to be all that wonderful (they are acoustic electrics, the ones that I have had) and need constant attention.

This is the myspace music site.
This is the new blog.
"Yesterday is history... tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift from God...
that's why they call it the Present!"
-D.R. Coleman

my Xanga.

"If your happiness comes from something you deposit, drive, drink, or digest, then face it-- you are in prison, the prison of want."
-Max Lucado
Unread 01-16-2004, 12:42 PM   #99
Just an Average CGR User.

Send a message via AIM to bigpirate Send a message via MSN to bigpirate Send a message via Yahoo to bigpirate
I think I have found yoda's problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda's sig
Birthday: October 18th, 1991
our yoda is but a youngun... very childish at that... I still feel bad about negging him, though.

This is the myspace music site.
This is the new blog.
"Yesterday is history... tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift from God...
that's why they call it the Present!"
-D.R. Coleman

my Xanga.

"If your happiness comes from something you deposit, drive, drink, or digest, then face it-- you are in prison, the prison of want."
-Max Lucado
Unread 01-16-2004, 12:59 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpirate
I think I have found yoda's problem...

Quote:
yoda's sig said:
Birthday: October 18th, 1991
our yoda is but a youngun... very childish at that... I still feel bad about negging him, though.
Well, to be honest, I would be tempted to concur on the age thing, except that having been here for 2 years, I have to say that I can't cut Yoda some slack on that. I've read thru his posts and he has said several times that he is "only 12 and doesnt' know all this stuff". Well, perhaps.

But, then I look at Rainer. He's 13 (shocked the heck out of me!! ) and I consider him not only a good friend but also one of the most knowledgable, insightful, helpful, wise, and sharp members here. I could easily say that I've learned more from him that he probably has from me, and I am very thankful that he's here. In fact, when I started the Beginner Tips thread, he posted the lion's share of Tips, and excellent ones at that! Wow!

And, like I said, he's 13.

That's true for a lot of other members here. I am very impressed with the production of tips, posts, threads, ideas, insights, and overall value created by the 12-17 demographic here. And I thought us 30-somethings and old-timers really knew something! I tell ya, we have a very knowledgeable cadre of gutar leaders coming onto the scene.

So, when I see that kind of mojo representing, I don't suffer the "I'm only 12" excuse. Doesn't track with me.

Also, as far as negging goes, feedback is feedback, and a few bits of negs on my tallysheet taught me some valuable lessons. (Not that I want anymore "lessons"!! ) Basically, a little bit of neg gave me a big clue, and I took it to heart in a big way and made restitution.

Thanks for speaking out. I really appreciate it.

Also, as far as off-shore produced guitars, I have nothing against them as long as they are decent . . . but then, I don't often see that.

Chesh

Last edited by CheshireCat; 01-17-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Unread 01-16-2004, 06:17 PM   #101
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpirate
Yes, he may be youger then us (OK, maybe around my age ), but outright calling someone a racist was uncalled for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesh
I could easily say that I've learned more from him that he probably has from me, and I am very thankful that he's here.
I doubt that. I learned a ton from you! Thanks for all the props.

Quote:
Another bit of conventional wisdom is the admontion that you should never just buy a certain guitar because someone says so. Hmmmmmmmmm. Don't know. I could go either way. Blindly following the suggestion of one person who has a modest or moderate amount of street cred is one thing, but then there's a lot to be said for research, and getting many people's opinions.
That's why I never straight reccomend a certain guitar to someone. I will usually ask what they want, and give them a list. I say you should go to some knowledgable guitarists, and get lists of reccomended guitars to try. Not to buy... yet. After rigorous trying guitars on theirs lists, under supervision of a more knowledgable guitarist, leading them, they can consider purchase next.

Unread 01-17-2004, 12:07 AM   #102

Quote:
Yes, he may be youger then us (OK, maybe around my age ), but outright calling someone a racist was uncalled for.

I doubt that. I learned a ton from you! Thanks for all the props.
Thanks for the support. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
That's why I never straight reccomend a certain guitar to someone. I will usually ask what they want, and give them a list. I say you should go to some knowledgable guitarists, and get lists of reccomended guitars to try. Not to buy... yet. After rigorous trying guitars on theirs lists, under supervision of a more knowledgable guitarist, leading them, they can consider purchase next.
That is excellent! In fact, that could very well be the Core Answer to this conundrum!

Chesh

Unread 01-17-2004, 04:06 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_me07
Is that south korea or north?
yoda you have a pm from me regarding part of this post. please read it.

if you wnat me to edit/delete the exchanged posts chesh, just say so. would have edited it but you put a fair amount of time into your rant and the next several posts wouldnt quite make as much sense but if you want it gone that wouldnt be a problem.
Unread 01-17-2004, 08:54 AM   #104
Banned

Well I will let the Mods deal with Yoda, though I do NOT agree with what he said at all, but I will just stick to the post.....chesh, you asked if a newbie should either buy a guitar because someone says so or research it theirself?? I feel that the best answer to that question .....is .....BOTH!! If they have a friend who is knowledgable about guitars and wants to help them at a guitar shop, then that is fine.....but I also feel that the newbie should not just take their word for it! Posts like this one should help, but they need to do some digging on their own and find out what kind of guitar they need for the music they play. True, they may not know a Gibson Les Paul from a Fender Stratocaster, but everyone can read articles like this one and also ask guitar instructors and even players at local clubs or churches! Also,when you think about it, there is a WORLD of info on the net they could get, info I never had when I started because the net was not invented yet!

When you consider all of this, if they don't take advantage of all the information that is available today and still end up with a cheapo bad guitar, then to me it is their fault! Because they should have taken the time to ASK or READ! I am not trying to sound harsh or obnoxious, but I really feel like people need to take the time to learn all about an instrument if they are going to play it! This means not only practicing their scales and chords, but finding the right instrument for themselves is just as important a task!

Because the WRONG instrument could cause them much suffering and pain and eventually cause them to quit! Playing a guitar with strings a mile off the fretboard would be a challenge even for me and I have played guitar for about 24 years! My fingers are strengthened and calloused from so many years of playing, but think about some poor newbie who buys a bad guitar with a bowed neck, warped wood or bad electronics! No wonder a lot of people that learn guitar quit within a years time and never take it up again! It is probably because of a bad experience they had trying to hold down strings that a PRO guitar player would have a hard time with! Just my two cents......
Unread 01-17-2004, 09:34 AM   #105
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webe123
Because the WRONG instrument could cause them much suffering and pain and eventually cause them to quit! Playing a guitar with strings a mile off the fretboard would be a challenge even for me and I have played guitar for about 24 years! My fingers are strengthened and calloused from so many years of playing, but think about some poor newbie who buys a bad guitar with a bowed neck, warped wood or bad electronics! No wonder a lot of people that learn guitar quit within a years time and never take it up again! It is probably because of a bad experience they had trying to hold down strings that a PRO guitar player would have a hard time with! Just my two cents......
Actually, a pro would probably have their guitar adjusted so the strings are as close to the fretboard as humanly possible...

Closed Thread