Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-17-2004, 10:00 AM   #181

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
apparently more than one person around here thought your manner of approach was a bit sarcastic...this last post of yours definitely was.

that being said, all the points you seemed to be obsessed with making have already been made in this thread...that and you keep saying:
Quote:
For you to say that you are right and newbies should only play a list of guitars that you set down for them is not the best idea
but yet i havent' been able to find this list...if you could cut and paste it into your next post in this thread that'd be great, because i haven't seen it, and i don't remember it (though i do remember posting in this thread when it began last year).

the "worst advice" was
Quote:
"Go to your local store and try out every guitar in your price range, and go with the one that sounds/feels/plays/you-like/whatever the best".
which actually you havent' really seemed to disagree with yet. :-D

I'm a podcaster
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-17-2004, 11:03 AM   #182
addicted

Send a message via AIM to crash8404 Send a message via MSN to crash8404
More than one person believes there is no God, does that mean he dosent exist? I was never sarcastic in my first post it was just an opinion. my second post had a little sarcasm in talking about these posts having to be grammatically correct. but my apology was sincere, I said, 'if my first post...." because I don't think sax thought I was being rude. Because I honestly wasn't trying to be. Then right after that I apologized for not spacing in my first post, and said I will space and check my posts a little before posting, I didn't go to collage for communications, I'm sorry. (and you are going to think that was sarcasm when it's not). I'm sorry I don't post better, but what, does that mean my statements have no weight? The whole point of this thread was the worst advice you could give give was

"Go to your local store and try out every guitar in your price range, and go with the one that sounds/feels/plays/you-like/whatever the best".

I think that is good advice, then they learn on their own and can find the best way for them.

right after my apology and saying I will try to type things better Chesh come on and starts harrassing again? How can someone even try to apologize if no one even listens? so I'll try once more, sorry chesh, I didn't mean for it to be taken offensively there can we start over?
Unread 12-17-2004, 11:16 AM   #183

if your price range is $200 and you've never played the guitar before you have two huge problems. one, you don't know what "good" feels like, and two, in your price range there are quality instruments, but it's a hit or miss situation.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-17-2004, 11:22 AM   #184
addicted

how about this? We all post a guitar under 250, that we think would have been the best guitar for us, if we could go back and do it again with the knowledge we have at this time. Then a newbie could come on and see a list of guitars to try, and tell them

1. Play more than one guitar in that model (there are duds in every catagory)
2. Play all the chords you know see how easy it is to make the chord shapes.
3. See if it stays in tune the whole mini session.
4. Wiggle the knobs and switches to make sure there is no unwanted crackles in the sound
5. Take it home and practice practice practice

these are just suggestions, you can revise them, add some or take some away.

This probably should have been my first post but like the antsy human I am. I took the title to offence myself and I should never have reacted in such manner as I have.
Unread 12-17-2004, 11:27 AM   #185
addicted

yeah it is hit or miss, but the player will have I knowledge of what is a little bit easier to play. It's alway pretty much hit or miss, even with a gibson or fender, you could love strats but find one that you don'l like for some reason. I think that may be what we are going to conclude, there is no surefire way to help a newbie get the perfect guitar for them (esp in a 200-250 price range) without being there and showing them personally.
Unread 12-17-2004, 12:00 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash8404
how about this? We all post a guitar under 250, that we think would have been the best guitar for us, if we could go back and do it again with the knowledge we have at this time. Then a newbie could come on and see a list of guitars to try, and tell them

1. Play more than one guitar in that model (there are duds in every catagory)
2. Play all the chords you know see how easy it is to make the chord shapes.
3. See if it stays in tune the whole mini session.
4. Wiggle the knobs and switches to make sure there is no unwanted crackles in the sound
5. Take it home and practice practice practice

these are just suggestions, you can revise them, add some or take some away.

This probably should have been my first post but like the antsy human I am. I took the title to offence myself and I should never have reacted in such manner as I have.
we already have a similar thread here http://www.christianguitar.org/forum...ad.php?t=82403

that being said,
Quote:
It's alway pretty much hit or miss, even with a gibson or fender, you could love strats but find one that you don'l like for some reason
this is true, but not to the extent with low budget instruments. whereas one-in-twenty Squier Strats might be in good working order, seventeen of twenty Fender American Strats are going to be in good working order.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-17-2004, 12:03 PM   #187
addicted

yes thats why newbies have pretty much everything against them except for one of my students, his parents bought him a highway one strat. thats a pretty nice first guitar lol
Unread 12-17-2004, 01:48 PM   #188
I am Canadian!

Send a message via MSN to Saxophone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxophone
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve

this is true, but not to the extent with low budget instruments. whereas one-in-twenty Squier Strats might be in good working order, seventeen of twenty Fender American Strats are going to be in good working order.
This is true. Many talk a lot about quality control and as it is now most companies have produced their fair share of mess ups... some more than others. As for Squires I was blessed with a wonderful guitar, served me well. Now itís gone to another beginner who will enjoy it as much as me. I think we should look beyond the fact of "What guitar and how much" to "This is what a good guitar feels and plays like". This was the original intention of this thread (correct me if I misinterpreted Chesh ) and what Crash seems to be getting at. As has been stated we already have threads talking about the beginners guitars and such so this will be an even better resource. With that comes the many suggestions already posted such as "Bring along a friend who knows what their talking about" and research, like many of you do in this thread. Keep this sort of conversation coming. So what am I saying? Get back on topic!

PS

There are always PM's if you really have a problem with another user and don't forget that the mods of this forum are here to serve you and make this place a better place.

Unread 12-17-2004, 08:47 PM   #189
sir.

Send a message via AIM to sabertooth181 Send a message via MSN to sabertooth181
Personally, I think the best way to find a good guitar is to:

Do a lot of research(basically look around on websites like Musician's Friend)

Ask the advice of several of the smarter CGR Guitar Forum posters(e.g. Chesh, Sax, Piano Man, Rainer, and Major Tom) their opinion.

Visit a music store and listen to the guitar and compare it with others. Have the sales clerk play a little lick or two for ya(if they can ) if you cannot play something yourself. Then sit down and hold it yourself. Get a feel for the guitar.

I recently followed these steps and I was well pleased. It was not my first guitar, but it was my first electric guitar. My fellow CGRer's answered questions regarding pickups, woods, and more. Several guys recomended the MIM strat. I checked it out on Musician's Friend and decided that it would be a good guitar. I also looked at similar models and made a list of guitars I was interested in. Finally, I visited Guitar Center and played the models that were worth checking out. At the store, I decided I liked the MIM strat over all models in its range. I also followed the same list of procedures in choosing my amp, the Roland Micro Cube. I bought them both off Musician's Friend about 3 weeks ago and I am obsessed with them. I love my MIM strat and I am sure that I made a good decision. This worked for me, and I would expect that it is a pretty good method.
Unread 12-17-2004, 11:53 PM   #190
chris

Send a message via AIM to i'llcondescend
Advice??? Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabertooth181
Personally, I think the best way to find a good guitar is to:

Do a lot of research(basically look around on websites like Musician's Friend)

Ask the advice of several of the smarter CGR Guitar Forum posters(e.g. Chesh, Sax, Piano Man, Rainer, and Major Tom) their opinion.

Visit a music store and listen to the guitar and compare it with others. Have the sales clerk play a little lick or two for ya(if they can ) if you cannot play something yourself. Then sit down and hold it yourself. Get a feel for the guitar.

I recently followed these steps and I was well pleased. It was not my first guitar, but it was my first electric guitar. My fellow CGRer's answered questions regarding pickups, woods, and more. Several guys recomended the MIM strat. I checked it out on Musician's Friend and decided that it would be a good guitar. I also looked at similar models and made a list of guitars I was interested in. Finally, I visited Guitar Center and played the models that were worth checking out. At the store, I decided I liked the MIM strat over all models in its range. I also followed the same list of procedures in choosing my amp, the Roland Micro Cube. I bought them both off Musician's Friend about 3 weeks ago and I am obsessed with them. I love my MIM strat and I am sure that I made a good decision. This worked for me, and I would expect that it is a pretty good method.
I don't know how much the fine people at Guitar Center (i've never been to one) would like the fact that you tried out their instrument and then bought it from Musician's Friend. I can't say anything because I almost did the same thing.

Newbies... what can I say. It wasn't that long ago I was one myself. I can't tell you to go out looking for certain types of woods and components because I'm not even a newb and I don't know a ton about that stuff. I say you have to go with the feel of the instrument. Ask some friends and do your research, then go and TOUCH AND CARESS AND LISTEN TO THE INSTRUMENT. A little much? You may not know much about tone and it may be confusing to hear people describing tones as clunky, twangy, or any other thing with a "y", but usually you can tell what sounds good to you. Shop with a guitarist so you don't get ripped off. I went with my dad and I was able to get the price dropped and a free gig bag on my new strat.

Know what kind of guitar you need. Do you need an acoustic or electric? Are you going to be playing lead or rhythm? What kind of tone do you need, a twangy strat tone or a clunky Gibson tone. (Sorry for using the words I bashed) You may not know any of these things so as I said, take someone with you.

Plug it in. Plug it in and turn it up. Get the store clerk to show you how to adjust your amplifier. Plug into some pedals to see how the guitar responds. Plug into more than one amp in order to see if the tone your getting is your guitar or your amp. If you can't play good enough to tell have a friend or a clerk play, assuming the clerks know anything about guitar.

Ask questions. What does this knob do? What does this switch do? What is the difference between a humbucker and a single-coil? What kind of strings are on this guitar? (that could affect your tone)

Have a good time! This is the only time you will ever be searching for your first guitar. Make it a good one. Have fun and shop around. Don't be to hasty. Don't settle for mediocrity because you buy the first thing you see. Go on CGR and pretend like you know what your talking about!!! (like yours truly ) Just enjoy it!

Chris
Unread 12-18-2004, 12:20 AM   #191

as far as MF and GC go, they're operated by the same company and GC almost always honors MF prices (which are usually the same or lower).

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-18-2004, 01:27 PM   #192
Pillar

If you have never played guitar before, would you want to invest in a a $1000 rig. Why, to have someone say WOW, what a nice rig.

I also love it when someone tells me for the price of those 4 guitars you have you could have gotten a nice such and such. That's so funny. I've been playing 5 years and my favorite player is SRV. What a beat up piece of crap #1 was. The sound, the tone, he got from it, could anybody just pick that guitar up and get that from it. No, of course not. So much comes from within and so much comes from trial and error in what one needs to start making a great tone.

Don't even think you will buy something off the rack and get the sound of your favorite ax slinger. You may play the same notes but you won't get the tone until it's in your soul.

So many players today don't even switch there own pedals, a tech does it behind the stage.

There is so much information out there now that tells you how to get the sound/tone one is looking for. After you learn to play it, then you can learn how to develope tone. Regardless of what you get, get it from a place that's willing to let you return it within 30 to 45 days if you don't like.

Many people would say to me, look at the crap he plays, but I betcha I blow your mind with it.

edited April 2005
Unread 12-18-2004, 01:33 PM   #193

#1 might've been beaten up, but i have my doubts that it was a piece of crap.

as far as your rig goes, i bet it sounds good to you...but i bet that you (pillar) would even sound better if you upgraded some of it.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-18-2004, 06:32 PM   #194
peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
#1 might've been beaten up, but i have my doubts that it was a piece of crap.

as far as your rig goes, i bet it sounds good to you...but i bet that you (pillar) would even sound better if you upgraded some of it.
Well you can stop doubting.

There's SRV and is famous guit....looks pretty darn beat up to me. And yes he did just pick up a guitar that noone else would probably even touch and played it better then anyone else could.

It's not your equipment that makes you a musician, it's your heart.

Beginner's talk about gear. Pro's talk about technique.
Unread 12-18-2004, 06:58 PM   #195

Beat up, yes. Piece of crap, No.

He played a USA strat that had a lot of miles on it, and several modifications.

While I do agree that to many guitar players put emphasis on gear instead of technique, you also have reolize that while stevie could make a piece of junk squire sound better than some poser with a Deluxe Strat, when he picks up that delux strat he'd make it sing.

Unfortunately we'll never get the oportunity to compare

http://www.smoothstoneguitars.com

....In case you were wondering, I am not dale
Closed Thread