Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-16-2004, 01:52 PM   #166
addicted

Send a message via AIM to crash8404 Send a message via MSN to crash8404
paragraph spacing huh? sorry, didn't know I was writting a best selling book here, I just typed out my thoughts in a general way. I didn't know this thread was about grammer or I would have proof read and witten a final draft. not many people on here proof read anything. How about this statement made by you. "considering your inability to use anything remotely close to paragraph spacing in your previous post i really do have trouble believing that you're old enough to have own even one guitar from each of the major modern brands." Is that really one sentence? I'm not making fun of you. I'm just making a point, don't make fun of others grammer if you make mistakes too.

I believe my age is 20 last time I checked. I'm not ancient but considering I make 35-40 and hour co-owning my own painting buisness (since I was 17), I think that qualifies me to maybe own a few guitars. No I have not had one of every brand, just mostly major brands. I believe I stated one of mosty every brand. I guess I should have been more specific and said major. But common knowlege knows only of major brands. Jo schmo in his basement isn't so common (most likley good guitars so don't take offence, I'm just making an analogy, most people don't know of "private" luthiers, hence the term basement) I have spent close to 8 grand on guitars and equipment, (I have nothing else lol but I have some nice gear) the main strat I play right now I paid 700.00 for and it has 400.00 worth of upgrades and mods (not including the failed pickups I put in and took out cause I didn't like them. EMG 81's and fender vintage noiseless pickups)

A chesh PRS-rant huh? So, since I'm new to the boards I should read every post from every member before I post here? Or should I already know it, because I live on these boards you know. (just a little humor) I understand that Chesh thinks they aren't good guitars for the money, But it proves my point, every guitarist is different. I would call PRS quality guitars worth the money, they stains they use are unbelievable. The frets are perfectly dressed and filed, the wide flat fretboard fits my hand perfectly. There we go again, it fits ME perfectly, someone else with small hands may have a harder time playing it.

The only point I'm trying to make. Guitars are different, and so are the guitarists that play them. If a "newbie" goes to a music store picks up a guitar and his hands don't fit the board right, then get something different. If he picks up another guitar and his hand fits it but it wont stay in tune, find something else like it that will stay in tune. Go to a local private music store, not all of them are crap. I live in maine and have one. Yeah, I have to travel an hour and a half to get there, but he knows what he is talking about and will help you out.

P.S. there I tried to space out my ideas for you. I didn't proof read it though, cause I don't really have the time. Honestly, I don't really care either, this is a topic about guitar advice not english class. However, I see that you know what I ment even though it wasent spaced.

Sponsored Links
Unread 12-16-2004, 02:04 PM   #167
I am Canadian!

Send a message via MSN to Saxophone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxophone
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
hey crash...have you really had one of "pretty much every brand" or just one of each of the major brands?

considering your inability to use anything remotely close to paragraph spacing in your previous post i really do have trouble believing that you're old enough to have own even one guitar from each of the major modern brands. that being said, you made some valid points that already really were addressed as far as i know.

as far as PRS goes, if you actually read what he said, Chesh isn't necessarily anti-PRS, but he doesn't think that they are worth what you pay for them. When you buy PRS you're buying a name and you're buying looks. if you've ever read a PRS-rant by Chesh you'd understand that his stance isn't because he thinks PRS's are junky, but because they aren't cost-effective.
Enough with the insults. Grow up people and let the man post the way he wants. Take constructive criticism and use constructive criticism. You know what? Attitudes like this towards newbs is what is bringing this site down. Support him, maybe nudge him towards spacing just to make it easier to read but come on guys quit with the stabs.

Unread 12-16-2004, 02:15 PM   #168
addicted

thanks sax man, there are no hard feelings. I don't believe my replies were were harsh sounding, but it was a little insulting to just start posting here and be attacked like that. If my first post here was insulting, I ment it in the best of intentions. I was just trying to make the point every guitarist has different views on guitar preferance.
Unread 12-16-2004, 02:33 PM   #169
sir.

Send a message via AIM to sabertooth181 Send a message via MSN to sabertooth181
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash8404
thanks sax man, there are no hard feelings. I don't believe my replies were were harsh sounding, but it was a little insulting to just start posting here and be attacked like that. If my first post here was insulting, I ment it in the best of intentions. I was just trying to make the point every guitarist has different views on guitar preferance.
The whole paragraph thing isnt that big of a deal, just common courtesy. those long posts are very hard without paragraph spacing. I remember when i first came here i was a little trouble maker that just went around attacking everyone
Unread 12-16-2004, 02:38 PM   #170

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
i totally agree with you that guitars are always going to end up being a personal preference. this is why some of the features i like about a telecaster are the same features others here can't stand. Buying a new guitar can be tricky...especially if you don't know any other guitarists. I had to do all of my early guitar buying without a second opinion and i suppose maybe i just got lucky with the two guitars i picked up. knowing someone who can help you pick a guitar is definitely a nice thing, but it can also be a detriment if that player already has a set (often unwarranted) bias towards or against a particular brand.

as far as the PRS issue goes. you yourself have had the same experience alot of people have had with PRS's. You said that you picked up the Strat because it had a similar feel to you. It was also probably about $1000 cheaper i'm guessing.

the reason i brought up spacing (maybe i should've taken it to PM) is that it's alot easier for others to read what you wrote if you organize your thoughts in some manner. i had to go over your post several times before i could organize it in my head. it's not really a grammar issue, just common courtesy. just a point of clarification, you're right, i left out a comma. otherwise that's a single, grammatically correct sentence.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-16-2004, 03:02 PM   #171
addicted

See, that was pretty easy, you just addressed the points that I made, Without going off topic and attacking my age and writting style. I will type out things a little bit better, but a kind PM about maybe trying to seperate ideas would have been nice.

The PRS will always be there, the 40th anniversary start would not have been. The reason I got the Strat was because I loved the way it played and it is also a little bit of a collector thing, I want to have all the strat models from every year i.e. 2004, 1994, 1984 (my bday is in 84 so that is kinda nice) ........ it will take a long time and may never be complete, but I wanted that guitar cause I may not find another one so easy. I will have a PRS, probably in january after christmas shopping is done I will go get one of the custom 22's they are so nice.

And I said that was not a slam just a point. None on these boards posts a perfect post. Yes it is a little eaiser to read being spaced but so is reading that sentance in two breaths. lol I will space things better.
Unread 12-16-2004, 03:21 PM   #172
chris

Send a message via AIM to i'llcondescend
Question hmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul59
The head stock said Made in Mexico. The guitar even had a real Floyd Rose on it, not a licensed Floyd Rose.
I have an acoustic squier that I believe says made in mexico. I'll have to go look sometime. I really don't care as long as it sounds okay.
Unread 12-16-2004, 03:24 PM   #173
chris

Send a message via AIM to i'llcondescend
Thumbs up hey

Quote:
dont worry about it.

GO SAX! THE GREAT MEDIATOR!!!
Unread 12-16-2004, 07:09 PM   #174

Quote:
thanks sax man, there are no hard feelings. I don't believe my replies were were harsh sounding,.
Really? How interesting.

Quote:
but it was a little insulting to just start posting here and be attacked like that.
Really? Even more interesting.

Quote:
If my first post here was insulting, I ment it in the best of intentions.
Did you? Hmmmm. Interesting.

Quote:
I was just trying to make the point every guitarist has different views on guitar preferance.
No kidding? Really? Interesting.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
Unread 12-16-2004, 07:26 PM   #175
addicted

listen man, I'm just sharing my veiws, it's funny that you have said nothing in your own defence. I am trying to be civil about this whole thing. What kind of a post was that? are you trying to be funny? You take an apology and what sit and ponder it? So I'm gussing you don't want to have a nice chat with someone? Your quite the "interesting" individual.
Unread 12-16-2004, 07:37 PM   #176
sir.

Send a message via AIM to sabertooth181 Send a message via MSN to sabertooth181
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Really? How interesting.

Really? Even more interesting.

Did you? Hmmmm. Interesting.

No kidding? Really? Interesting.

Chesh
i was the thinking the same thing, but I refrained from posting it
Unread 12-16-2004, 09:18 PM   #177
The Chameleon

Send a message via AIM to Shredcheddar
Quote:
listen man, I'm just sharing my veiws, it's funny that you have said nothing in your own defence. I am trying to be civil about this whole thing. What kind of a post was that? are you trying to be funny? You take an apology and what sit and ponder it? So I'm gussing you don't want to have a nice chat with someone? Your quite the "interesting" individual.
Okay, enough. You know that you understand his post, so take it like the mature twenty-year-old that you are and move on. Please don't be disrespectful of Chesh: he's been around here longer than you have, and he definitely knows how to make a point. Don't act like you don't know what he's talking about... if you made a mistake, admit it, accept responsibiltiy, and forget about it. I'm just letting you know that the attitude you exhibit in this post will not earn you much respect on CGR.
Unread 12-16-2004, 09:37 PM   #178
addicted

well I havent heard him make any point other than making fun of an apology. sorry for coming here and saying anything I think. Hope you all have nice lives, forgive me for giving my opinion. This is a great loving Christian atmosphere you have around here.
Unread 12-16-2004, 10:45 PM   #179

Quote:
well I havent heard him make any point other than making fun of an apology. sorry for coming here and saying anything I think. Hope you all have nice lives, forgive me for giving my opinion. This is a great loving Christian atmosphere you have around here.
Okay, I have been thinking about my response, but, to be perfectly frank, I was having a really hard time wading thru your posts. Much of the comments made by others on your lack of grammar and puncuation and spelling and paragraph pacing and spacing is, I regret to lament, quite true. (No offense intended in that regard, but I can't leave a BS in Communications and having been a writing tutor at the door.) Not to mention the way that your sentences erractically change direction . . . and subject, and verb tense, and direct object, and so on. It took me three runs just to get thru the first post. I've dealt with quite a few run on sentences in my lifetime, but that was a real gauntlet to run.

Anyway, this may come to you as a shock, but, believe it or not, despite my rahter prolific 4K post count (or close to it, and I don't say that immodestly, since my mentors here have something like 10K to their respective credits), I actually have a life, which I am currently immersed in, getting stuff handled. I was about to post a "response forthcoming" notice earlier, but you have been doing so fine on your little "get to know ya" rant that I was content to sit back and let you expand on your fascinating philosophies on my miscalculations and shortcomings in fundamentals on taste, and not to mention a myriad of other opinions you've attributed to me that I never espoused, since you seemed content to run your mouth.

Invaribly, I would have had to have responded to them in due time, so, best to let you have your say, and finish it out, before I put the time and effort into a comprehensive response (which, not to speak immodestly, I am known for).

Now, that said, why did I respond to your other post with "that's interesting"? Simple. That was an exercise in irony.

I didn't find it "interesting", but rather incredulous, and was correlatively dumbstruck, at your lack of awareness of how you didn't realize that teeing up a response to a total stranger on a new board that you just joined with disparaging remarks about his lack of judgement and ineptitude in matters of fundamentals on such mecurial, subjective, and arbitrary matters as taste, to not be offensive, off-putting, or insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I think you have forgotten the fundamentals yourself,
That is a rather aggressive statement, and I only entertain those comments from people I know and respect, not from strangers, especially people who choose to start with that sort of attitude and commentary on some new forum they just joined. I don't know you from Adam, and you just start in and lay into me, also attributing opinions and beliefs to me that I NEVER ESPOUSED!?! What's up with that?

Based on results, it is exceedingly apparant you had no idea what I was talking about in my first threads, and never bothered to really dig into what I was talking about (and, incidently, completely missed the point).

You also could have asked for clarification, or refinement of my arguments or points. But, you didn't. You figured you had me figured out, and then proceeded accordingly.

Either way, a thorough response to all of your points is forthcoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredcheddar
Okay, enough. You know that you understand his post, so take it like the mature twenty-year-old that you are and move on. Please don't be disrespectful of Chesh: he's been around here longer than you have, and he definitely knows how to make a point. Don't act like you don't know what he's talking about... if you made a mistake, admit it, accept responsibiltiy, and forget about it. I'm just letting you know that the attitude you exhibit in this post will not earn you much respect on CGR.
Also, I would be remiss if I didn't say this.

Shred, you have always been way cool, and a good friend, and someone I greatly respect. Thank you for being such a good man.

And that also goes for Sax as well. You are one of the wisest men on the CGR, and someone whom I greatly respect and admire. Always know that.

Crash, the truth is, if you want respect here, you get to earn it by learning and exercising some basic netiquette around here. You get to learn to be a giver, and not offer offense. You get to get to know people, and start making valuable contributions that are not patently contrarian to the efforts of the people around here who have been here for years, and have the post counts to show for it. You get to learn to connect, to network, to communicate, to show respect.

The meaning of your communication is the response that you get. Total feedback loop. You show up here, and start throwing down like that, when you don't know me from Adam, or what I am about, or the contribution I have made, or anything like that, and start showing attitude, well, this is the response you get.

I wish it could have been different. I would like to have called you friend and welcomed you with open arms. But I didn't feel too warm and fuzzy after that initial reply to me, not to mention your subsequent gruff attitude, which you euphemistically refer to as "being civil".

You suggest I was making fun of your apology? Really? In what sense was it an apology? Was it a function of apologetics, where you are explaining away your way of being? Or was it a sincere attempt at making amends? I really didn't get it as the latter, despite your best efforts, and I know what a sincere apology sounds like (especially since I've had to offer several of my own in my own life in the past).

Anyway, like I said, response forthcoming.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying

Last edited by CheshireCat; 12-16-2004 at 11:55 PM.
Unread 12-17-2004, 09:14 AM   #180
addicted

My first post was only an opinion, you gave yours in the title of the thread and I gave mine. I didn't say it with any sarcasm or cheep shots at all. There is no emotion in text, you get out of text what you want to. Nothing I said was sarcastic, but you seemed to think it was. Yes, that was a sincere apology, I was apologizing if anything I said sounded harsh, because I wasn't meaning for it to sound like that. but then even after that you don't accept the apology and say that my post was dumbstruck? when did I tell you that you were wrong? that was the whole point of my post that guitarists all have different tastes and styles. For you to say that you are right and newbies should only play a list of guitars that you set down for them is not the best idea. because of the fact that a guitar you like may not fit their hand right, and the best thing for them to do would be to try guitars see what fits their hand best and is the easiest for them to play at that point. Just make sure it stays in tune, and has a decent sound. With credit cards and payment plans so rampant, most newbies can spend a whole lot more than I could when I started out. And again making fun of grammer instead of facing the facts, why do you sidestep all questions? Do I have a point? Did something I say break down the nice little world you have created around here?
Closed Thread