Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-28-2003, 05:41 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to magsepi
As good as i will ever get

I have been playning for 2 years now and I took some group lessons about 6 months ago at the local community college and the teacher told me that after 2 years you will never get any better after that. Granted I am self taught but I still have a desire to get better. However , I stil have trouble with my rythm. I just cant bear the thought of giving up. I play for Jesus.

magsepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-28-2003, 05:59 PM   #2

For rythem improvements try practicing with a metronome, dont listen to people who tell you that you will never get better after playing for a certain amount of time, there are so many different things that you can learn in guitar, try looking into other styles of music, jazz,blues,bluegrass,classical, and remember practice makes perfect.

Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2003, 06:13 PM   #3
The Chameleon

Send a message via AIM to Shredcheddar
What the crap? That makes no sense whatsoever. Why would your ambitions be fruitless the second that 2 years had elapsed?

Of course you'll continue to get better. What you put in will ultimately = what is put out in your playing.
Unread 10-28-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
Banned

Send a message via AIM to emo_boy Send a message via Yahoo to emo_boy
That is absolutely incorrect. Granted, after 2 years the learning will come alot slower, but thats where you really have to buckle down and practice consistently, and strive to improve.
emo_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2003, 06:27 PM   #5
Why am I still here?

I have to second that "what the crap?" statement. Your teacher knows nothing. First off, you cant expect to get that much better with group lessons. It's just not gonna happen. Private lessons are the quickest way to get good fast because a teacher can address you personally what your doing wrong and individualize the lessons to fit your weaknesses/strengths. Second off, if your teacher thinks that the best you can get is after only 2 years of playing, he was either dropped on his head as a child or was trippin on something illegal when he told you that. I've been playing for 4 years or so, and I can definitly tell you I have tons of room to grow still. Heck, even Jimi Hendrix himself said he hadn't even begun to know everything on guitar. No one, and I mean NO ONE, can possibly reach a point on guitar where they have absolutly no where to go, especially in only 4 years! Thats pure idiocy! So dont worry at all. Keep playing and stay determined in getting better. I gaurentee you with practice you will get better, even 20 years down the line. (oh sorry, no offense to your teacher)
Unread 10-28-2003, 06:32 PM   #6
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
That makes no sense. You can always improve, no matter how long you've been playing. Do you think some of the best guitarists in the world have learned all they know in only two years? Thats just crazy... Guitarists should continually learn, no matter hoow long it's been.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2003, 09:21 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
i have to also repeat what everyone else is saying...i didnt' even really try to start playing bar chords (let alone really understand them) until i'd been playing for about a year and a half...i'm on my fourth or fifth year of playing now and i'm just starting to get a grasp on how to work in leads.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2003, 10:26 PM   #8
Servant

Maybe the teacher meant you could spend 2 years with him/her and you wouldn't get any better?

I'll have to agree with the general consensus of the others who have said that statement is nonsense. I have a friend (for anyone familiar with guitarwar.com he is Soloist, lead guitarist at our church) who is an absolutely awesome guitarist, and he still constantly works to improve, after many years of practice and several years of giving lessons.

I hope you can take some encouragement from the fact that many of us have played for a long time, and continue to learn new things and improve.
Unread 10-29-2003, 04:15 AM   #9
Jesus is the Best!

Send a message via ICQ to Eddo Send a message via MSN to Eddo
heh.. there is more to guitar than anyone could possibly learn in 2 years.. look at some of the greats that have been playing for 30+ years and they will still tell you there is lots to learn. When your as good as God is at guitar.. then you will outta learning material.
Boss Gt-3 FX
------------------------------------
I 'm feeling right now.
------------------------------------
Eddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2003, 03:19 PM   #10

ok , once again "WHAT A CRAP"
theres no way you can just stop in time and dont learn anything in 2 years
in guitar , you AWAYS have to learn more , you are never perfect
you hear some1 play awesome then when you go ask them they say "o play since i was 12" or they say they play for 10 years , 20 years , i guess after 2 years you start learning slower cuz you know the stuff already , but i think theres aways this and that to learn in guitar
[IbanezRules] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2003, 05:02 PM   #11
Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsepi
I have been playning for 2 years now and I took some group lessons about 6 months ago at the local community college and the teacher told me that after 2 years you will never get any better after that.
I've been playing for little less than two years. I don't know if I'm getting better, but I know I'm picking up different things. I keep learning new songs and adding the tabs to my note book. I've been asked to play for church and a men's group. I don't try to play the songs just like the record or do I worry about it. Most groups can't even play there songs like they do when they record them. I play accoustic, electric, and lead on both. As long as I know how the song goes and what key it's in, I can improvise a lead and play up and down the neck. I don't worry about learning anyone elses technics. Because more than likely there playing out of scale box as well. I'll study a song and lead tabs, and by doing my own research, I can tell what scale someone uses. Playing guitar isn't rocket science, though many will try to make is sound like it is. I don't care if I can play like anyone else because I play like me, play what brings me joy, and play to bring glory to God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsepi
Granted I am self taught but I still have a desire to get better. However , I stil have trouble with my rythm. I just cant bear the thought of giving up. I play for Jesus.
You have decide what better means to you? When I go into my room and close the door and sing a play whorship songs, I'm playing to the Lord Jesus and I know without him I wouldn't have picked up the guitar. So, when I play to him, it's all perfect, and if he want's someone else to hear it, then he will make it happen. I play for Jesus, nuff said.

Enjoy the gift, and don't worry about someone elses opinion of it.

edited April 2005
pillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2003, 01:26 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to Twit
I really hope that teacher was joking because that comment was really stupid. I agree with the comment about private instruction. I highly recommend it. You should be able to find someone for about $20 per half hour. Try some local music stores.

Good luck!
Twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2003, 03:12 PM   #13

Dang
20 per half hour
so if you have a 2 hours n 30 min class you gotta pay 100 bucks lol
[IbanezRules] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2003, 03:20 PM   #14
I am Canadian!

Send a message via MSN to Saxophone Send a message via Yahoo to Saxophone
What that guy says is not true. You'll be fine you just have to practise. Strive to be the best in the world. That's my motto. Even though you probably won't get there you will become an amazing musician along the way and you‘ll continue to learn new things all the time. That’s important and will help you in church, home, band ect. You play for Jesus, your already a super star in his eyes. I also think you are to critical of yourself. I get like that sometimes, all you need is encouragement. I bet your doing great. Keep it up!
Jordan.
Saxophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2003, 06:01 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to sick boy Send a message via Yahoo to sick boy
that teacher is full of it. i played guitar for a few years and i eally sucked, i had rhythm problems, i could not switch chords very well, i just sucked. then i decided that i wanted to be better so i practiced and practiced and practiced, almost untill my fingers bled. now i'm no virtuoso but i'm petty respectable. you just have to make a commitment and work you fingers to the bone and you will improve.
sick boy is offline   Reply With Quote