Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-07-2003, 10:37 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Miscellaneous
Higher end epiphone les pauls

Ok, what are your thoughts on the epiphone les pauls in the 500-600 dollar range. I really would love a gibson les paul for the sound I'm trying to acomplish, but the price is just out of my reach.

I'm going to guitar center soon to play a bunch of them, but I wanted general feedback on them from you guys?

And If any of you have any experience with these specific ones, that would be great if you gave me feedback on them :)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/40943

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/59004

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/34453

thanks in advance.

Miscellaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-07-2003, 02:07 PM   #2
Banned

Send a message via AIM to emo_boy Send a message via Yahoo to emo_boy
In general I despise epis. If you're going to spend $500-$600, then look into jay turser lp's. They're higher quality (in my opinion), sound better, and don't have the hideous headstock of an epi.
emo_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 02:30 PM   #3
Wingnut

Send a message via AIM to Guitar MC
If you want a les paul copy I would look into Agiles.
http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/ca...l?UCIDs=940498
I like mine better than any epiphone I have played. For that much you could get an Agile and some nice new pickus and still have money to spare. I have the gold top with the p-90s so im not sure about about the pickups in the other models but I bet they could use a replacement. They also offer a great return policy if your not happy with what you get.

-Trey
Unread 10-07-2003, 02:30 PM   #4

It's one of those "you get what you pay for" kind of scenarios. Epi's aren't bad per se. In fact some bands such as Third Day almost exclusively use Epi Les Pauls and SG's (even a Flying V). They're not playing stock Epi LP's, but rather ones with upgraded pickups, wiring and more likely than not, tuners.

As someone who's also very cost conscious right now, if that's what you can afford, go for it. It won't be a tireless workhorse of a guitar necessarily, but by upgrading some of the key electronics and hardware, it'll be a very stage worthy guitar.

PacifiCustom Pedals
ryanspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 04:23 PM   #5
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I've found used Gibson Les Pauls, including my own, at that price range.

(Although mine did have a minor defect in the wiring, but i knew what was wrong and fixed it right away. )

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 11:11 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Miscellaneous
how is the gibson les paul special?

I was also curious about the gibson sg faded special?

how is the quality of these 2, becuase they are much cheaper. Is it true that the main difference is cosmetic?
Miscellaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 01:07 AM   #7
Why am I still here?

I have an Epi LP. I will admit, they are not the best, but you can find some gems out there. Epi's are known for their inconsistancy. You can play one model of an Epi and it be great souding and then play another and it suck horribly. I happened to find one of those great ones. Is it perfect? No. The pickups are kinda muddy for my taste when I load them with distortion. Plus the tuners aren't that good and the bridge volume pot is real scatchy. But if I replace all these things, I would have an awesome guitar. If you can find one like mine, then go for it and just replace some of the stuff with Gibson stuff or whatever and it'll be just like it was a Gibson, sorta.
Unread 10-08-2003, 04:43 AM   #8
WAWAWEEWA!!!

I had an Epi SG which was horrible. I could not get the intonation correct on it at all. I thinks it's correct that there is a lot less consistency with Epi's vs Gibsons.

I ended up getting a Gibson SG special faded. If you check the Gibson website the only difference in the specs is that the special faded has two 490 pups and a faded finish. The SG standard has a 498 pup in the bridge position, a glossy finish, pearl neck inlays and nicer head stock decorations and logos. All materials were other wise identical per specs.

Based on that I would think that the Les Paul special fadeds are different from the Les Paul standards in asthetics only. They look pretty good in the latest Guitar Center catalog.

In Christ, Bill
shakeybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 12:29 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to robert4xst Send a message via Yahoo to robert4xst
The Les Paul faded, they actually use the pickups they use on the Gibson Les Paul Custom's which are the 490R and 498T's. One large difference is that the body is solid Mahogany, instead of Mahogany with a Maple cap. A lot of people actually prefer that, becuase without the Maple cap it resonates more... but it does give it a different sound.
<{{{><
robert4xst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2003, 02:32 AM   #10
We Will Play FOREVER

The Faded series that Gibson has out is decent if you don't care about looks. They do not have an arched top. They also do not have a hint of binding. The fret markers are dots as of the latest MF catalog. The Faded series is around $650 new without a case. Those guitars look like something I built in my garage. I just sold a Gibby Studio because I liked my epi's better. A studio is one step up from the Special[faded series]. I bought several epi's on ebay and I found one of them already customized with new pickups and locking
tuners as well as a case for $300
plus shipping [$25]. I wouldn't recommend you spending $600 on a new epi but a used one can be had for a real nice price. The pickups in an epi Les Paul really need to be upgraded. Usually replacing the bridge is a huge help
Tuners really need to be upgraded as well. Wiring problems can occur although I have never had a problem with my three epi's. Gibson 57 classics are a good pickup to replace the stock epi pickups with. The 57 classics sound somewhat better in my opinion than the stock pickups in the Faded Gibby. An Epi Standard or Custom can be found on ebay all the time for $300-$400 with a case. Assuming that no upgrades have been done then you are looking at $50-$75 for a 57 classic p/u to replace [lets say the bridge p/u] on the epi. A decent set of tuners can be had on ebay for $25. If you want locking shallers or something then you are looking at more money but $25 will give you the equivelant of what Gibson puts on their Faded Series anyway. I think going with an epi is alot better but each to his own.
Gibson Faded Special [new but still ugly]-$650+$100[case]=$750+shipping
Epi Custom [used but gorgeous]-$350+$100[upgrades if necessary]=$450+ship
Unread 10-09-2003, 01:49 PM   #11
rock?

Here are my humble thoughts: Most Epiphones are not worth the money. If you already have $600, then you should just bite the bullet and keep saving until you can afford a Gibson. Gibson Les Pauls, especially the Classic, are some of the finest sounding, playing, and looking guitars around. You can find them used on Ebay for right around $1000. It seems like a lot, I know, but trust me, the quality you get with Gibson LP's is incredible.
Unread 10-12-2003, 07:14 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to Nato
I second the vote for Agile Les Pauls! Check out the feed back they are getting on Harmony-central.com. great even better stuff and better price. But they do have an occational mess up in the assembly line but Rondo has great service with stuff like that.

Last edited by Nato; 10-12-2003 at 11:13 PM.
Nato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2003, 09:27 PM   #13
I play Guitar...

I go against the grain and say NO AGILES! I got one for my first electric and I sold it after a year. The thing had very muddy p'ups, the action was horrible, and the thing couldn't stay in tune for 10 minutes! I sold it to my cousin for pretty cheap a while back to see if he would like playing guitar, and while he has gotten into it, he dislikes the guitar too. I will say though, that once I fixed the action up a bit for him a few weeks ago, it was better.
Unread 10-12-2003, 11:11 PM   #14
Wingnut

Send a message via AIM to Guitar MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoMan
I go against the grain and say NO AGILES! I got one for my first electric and I sold it after a year. The thing had very muddy p'ups, the action was horrible, and the thing couldn't stay in tune for 10 minutes! I sold it to my cousin for pretty cheap a while back to see if he would like playing guitar, and while he has gotten into it, he dislikes the guitar too. I will say though, that once I fixed the action up a bit for him a few weeks ago, it was better.
What model was it? If you dont like them you can send it back, but it sounds like its too late for that. The pickups should be replaced, no argument here.

-Trey
Unread 10-13-2003, 05:33 AM   #15
Jesus is the Best!

Send a message via ICQ to Eddo Send a message via MSN to Eddo
Look like nice guitars.. like most Gibsons.. I never really found a Gibson for under $1000C that had good action/nice feel.. there probably are some.. but they are few and far between. The Epiphones are even worse IMHO. They feel so cheap.
Boss Gt-3 FX
------------------------------------
I 'm feeling right now.
------------------------------------
Eddo is offline   Reply With Quote