Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-20-2003, 03:33 PM   #106
This Space for rent

Wow, I'm suddenly thankful for our worship leader.

Sponsored Links
Unread 11-20-2003, 06:06 PM   #107
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum
I just started playing in my church on sundays. Our pastor is now leading... He sucks at guitar. He told me once that he'll let me lead worship once i'm better than him. I told him i think i am, and he didn't believe me. He's very ignorant. But at least he knows he needs to be more humble.

And in case you think i'm be ignorant, let me clarify. He don't know how to play certain chords in a song so he just wipes them out. So me makes up new coppies that are incomplete. And he only know how to strum at one pace. And he can't accent particular strings at all. I AM better than him, and all he need is to see that ever he needs to improve. He truly thinks he great. I find this disturbing. I'm glad i don't think so highly of him. Otherwise i'd find myself mislead much of the time.

I'm sorry to unburden myself in front of everyone, but i'm just trying to show you that it's better to be in a worship team that's trying then a worship team that thinks it's the eagles but accually sounds like gargae wannabe.

Gollum

PS About 2 weeks ago he asked me to tune his guitar during prechruch prayer. So i tumed it. Played a second or so to make sure it's in tune. And he walks in and plays, and looks at me. Nods his head left to right, and changes the tuning... He WAS in tune... And afterwards he sounded like crap. This is what i deal with... I think God put him in our church to test my patience.

wel that has nothing to do with his gender and um some of those things were not hideous.

This probably has to do with mid life crisis.

I dealt with this in an issue at my church when my fiance's dad was leading, and I could play circles around him, so I did. I let him be the leading rythymn section and I did leads and arpegios that gave the songs feeling. sparring for leadership is a bad idea. and frankly your method probably insulted him. NEVER tell anyone you are better than them. let them find it out.

My Life.
Unread 11-20-2003, 10:32 PM   #108
This Space for rent

I'm no longer against girl guitarists, as I'm trying to get this girl in my youth group to play guitar
Unread 11-20-2003, 10:34 PM   #109
Is learning to breathe

Good luck.

(You can take that any way you like.)

Me and the boys would love you to visit My Blog
Unread 11-22-2003, 11:41 AM   #110
yea they go wild

Send a message via AIM to Jake the Snake Send a message via MSN to Jake the Snake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake the Snake
the only thing that anoys me is when people who can't play and don't try just make noise and think it is funny
Unread 11-25-2003, 02:08 PM   #111
cheese?

Send a message via AIM to mxrider
this makes me mad.....
at church, we went to a conference... and about 5 guys brought their guitars, and after the conference we went back to the church to spend the night... so on the bus my friend wuz like hey ya wanna get the guitars out and play and i wuz like sure... so we got inside, and my youth pastor had been like yeah i can't wait until the conference... your bringing your guitar right?? like the whole week before, and so we got inside, i got mine out tuned it, and they made the guys go downstairs... i wuz like ugh.. i wanna play guitar... the girls were allowed in the fellowship hall, but not in the gym... so, i was gonna take my guitar down there... and my smallgroup leader wouldn't let me.... so they started watchin the movie... obviously i wuz the only girl with a guitar... so i started playin... everybody was like ssshhh.... the movie's on.... they were like i dont care.... i'm watchin a movie... who cares about guitars???? the guys were willin to play w/ me, but not the girls, they wouldn't even listen when i tried to play some praise songs that we sing on sunday morning... i felt sooo broken... i hope there will be some more girl guitar players at our church.... the other girls hated it, i mean... whats so bad about guitar? what makes it seem like a guys instrument? i don't understand why the other girls were lookin down on me... thumbs up to ne girl guitar playerz out there! if you look in the bible in genisis, the lord gave his people instruments and the understanding of music to glorify him with... thats the whole reason we have music... not to entertain, but to use it as a way to glorify god, nothing else...

Just try to find a place deep within your soul
And don't deny the child living deep inside
Open your eyes and find
This life's better than you know
It's in your hands now
Just open up your eyes
-12 Stones
My blog, its a place, but its a very lonely place...

HUH?
Unread 11-25-2003, 02:17 PM   #112

crazyjana31, that must suck, when i started guitar about 3 years ago at youth group i was the only girl that played, now there are like billions of girl guitar players coming up in our youth group. Dont be discouraged that you are the only girl, one thing that got me wanting to play guitar was seeing other girls play and lead worship and then i got to thinking, Hey i could do that! So yeah keep on playing, you never know eventually it might rub off on them.

Unread 11-25-2003, 02:33 PM   #113
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I agree. That's gotta suck. I just find it funny how this thread is about how guys are anti-girl-guitarists, when in your story the girls were anti-girl-guitarist. In my church, the girls dominate the youth group (I am one of two guys in the YG, and the other guy doesn't regularly attend meetings). We have three violin players, a cello player, and a couple piano players among the girls, and no drummers or guitarists. I am one of two guitarists (the other guy is a beginning guitarist), and one of two drummers (second drummer is our pastor). That shows how the instruments are divided among the genders in my youth group.

Talking about having things rub off on other people, since I started playing my guitar and drums for church, a couple of the girls really wanted to play guitar, the other boy started playing guitar, and another couple of girls had me teach them to play some things on the drums.

Unread 11-25-2003, 04:09 PM   #114
This Space for rent

We have about 40 people in our youth group, and the girls outnumber the guys 3-to-1. We used to have a male drummer, male pianist, male guitarist and male bass player. Our Male drummer has to work on Sunday nights, Our Pianist goes to another church, our guitarist leads worship at another church, and our Bass player leads our new band. Our new band is composed of this, all girls except for myself. 1 drummer, 2 bass players (tho one just quit so we are down to one), 4 keyboard players (we have two regular keyboard players that play every service on seperate keyboards, our bass player plays keyboard and one of our singers play), We have a violin (sp?) player, a sax player, and me the acoustic guitarist. I'm the oldest person besides the leader in the band, and I'm the only guy. Our singers are like that too, my cousin is the only male singer (tho I'm going to start singing soon). I would love to have more guitars regardless of gender as long as the girls didn't kick me out . It seems in most settings my youth group there are like 30 girls and 5-10 guys so I'm always surrounded by women.
Unread 11-25-2003, 05:02 PM   #115
Is back!

Send a message via AIM to rock_guitar1990 Send a message via MSN to rock_guitar1990
female guitarists are awesome! i like a girl who can play guitar.
Unread 11-25-2003, 08:08 PM   #116
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorshipinWeirdo
It seems in most settings my youth group there are like 30 girls and 5-10 guys so I'm always surrounded by women.
You're surrounded? I got myself as the only boy in the youth group other than the pastor, and I'm outnumbered about 10 girls to 1 boy.

Unread 11-25-2003, 09:11 PM   #117
This Space for rent

I'm visiting another church at the moment and I'm basically the only guy in the youth group, tho there is another guy under 20
Unread 11-28-2003, 06:52 PM   #118

To answer the original question: that's a generalisation that certainly isn't true amongst most of the people I know. I don't care if a guitarist is a guy or a girl, I just care how they play. Of the people who play guitar in my church's music team my favourite is a girl (not because she is a girl, but because her feel for the guitar happens to be better than that of the other guitarists, who all happen to be guys).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjana31
the girls were allowed in the fellowship hall, but not in the gym... so, i was gonna take my guitar down there... and my smallgroup leader wouldn't let me.... so they started watchin the movie... obviously i wuz the only girl with a guitar... so i started playin... everybody was like ssshhh.... the movie's on.... they were like i dont care.... i'm watchin a movie... who cares about guitars???? the guys were willin to play w/ me, but not the girls, they wouldn't even listen when i tried to play some praise songs that we sing on sunday morning... i felt sooo broken... i hope there will be some more girl guitar players at our church.... the other girls hated it, i mean... whats so bad about guitar? what makes it seem like a guys instrument?
Based on your description of the event it doesn't really sound like a boy/girl guitar issue. The boys and girls were segregated for whatever reason (presumably so they weren't sleeping in the same room), and they then happened to then do different things. Someone organised a movie and the majority of the girls wanted to watch it, so it was an inappropriate time for guitar playing. I don't think the other girls hated the guitar in itself, or your playing, it was just that it was interrupting their preferred activity on the night so at that point that didn't want any music from any instrument. So even if there were other girl guitar players there they may have wanted to just watch the movie anyway - who can say?

You said you felt broken, but try to look at it from the perspective that the other girls weren't saying no to you, they were saying no to music on that occasion. I don't think that is a reflection on you or your abilities at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjana31
if you look in the bible in genisis, the lord gave his people instruments and the understanding of music to glorify him with... thats the whole reason we have music... not to entertain, but to use it as a way to glorify god, nothing else...
I know this isn't the theology forum, but I don't agree with the 'nothing else' part of your statement. There are biblical examples where music was used for other purposes than specifically glorifying God (not to say he wasn't glorified in those situations too).

Thanks,

N.™
Unread 11-29-2003, 05:11 PM   #119

Send a message via MSN to Desiree' Send a message via Yahoo to Desiree'
I play guitar and I'm a female.. I don't care what ppl think about it ...because guitar is me. My instructor is a guy and says that I am the most talented female he has seen come to him and wanna play..if guitar is you dreams go for... don't let someone down you and let it bother you... go for it and play your heart out it's what I do and I'm happy doing it.
Kayla
Closed Thread