Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-24-2003, 11:45 AM   #76
100 Portriats

Send a message via AIM to Xena
um..

I do think women play differently than guys on guitar.
So far as the guys bringing it on, your going to have too challenge them since you are the only girl.
Its not like there are other females to compair yourself too.
Unless its people who are famous.
I have no doubt your as good as the boys.
Remember you will have to work harder to out play them.
So, as I stated before women do play differently because we have to play harder to out last and out play.
We dont have the same muscle dexterity or strength.
Its true men have more muscles in uppper forearms than women.
Thus we must play harder to keep up, thus the music is different.
I believe the creation of music is different.
So far as piano goes.
I dont play piano. I dont speak for them.
Its an entirely different instument and more accepted for women to play.
Verses the guitar or other stringed instuments for that matter.
As I said I encourage all female musicians to play and sing.
NEVER GIVE UP PLAYING...
Hey what do you think of Jenn Knapp.

Sponsored Links
Unread 10-24-2003, 12:27 PM   #77

"So, as I stated before women do play differently because we have to play harder to out last and out play."
I completely disagree, what if a girl has been playing for 10 years of her life and a guy has only been playing for like a month, do you still think the girl would have to play harder than the guy ?

Unread 10-24-2003, 01:06 PM   #78
100 Portriats

Send a message via AIM to Xena
um...

Come on Im obveously not talking about non expeienced musicians.
Besides who can play live only after playing for a month.
Or have a job playing for that matter.

I meet Virginia Luique.
She is a classical gutiar player that studied under Andrea Sougovia.
Im not good a spelling Itialian names.
Anyway, she stated she had to work much harder to keep up with the guys.
If you say you dont have to work harder.
Your mistaken.
You will have to work harder.
Its just a fact.
As I said women lack the muscel dexterity.
Dont get me wrong I have a mean left handed grip.
But, Ive worked hard for it!
I am just as good as the guys any day of the week.
Its flat out annoying that I have to prove myself and men gutiarist dont.
Even if they have played for one month, they would be handed a guitar quicker than I would be handed a guitar.
Just because they are a guy.
Unread 10-24-2003, 02:47 PM   #79

"Anyway, she stated she had to work much harder to keep up with the guys.
If you say you dont have to work harder.
Your mistaken.
You will have to work harder.
Its just a fact."

Ok well, I mostly play guitar when i lead singing for my youth group and camps and stuff. I started out learning by playing for youth group with one of our youth leaders who is a guy, who is like an amazing guitarist, he's now the worship leader at our church. Then the year after that i played with another guy who lead worship for youth group, who was better than me because he has been playing alot longer than me. Now hes become a youth leader so ive kind of been leading worship for sr.high along with some other people-girls and guys. You play some weeks, and some weeks you dont play, weather you are a guy a girl weather youve been playing longer it just yeah doesnt really matter, obviously you got to be confident enough to lead worship and stuff. The only thing in my mind with leading worship mostly is yeah theres no competition between sexes. But from experiance i have just notieced that people who work harder are the people who wanna be good guitarists, guys have to work hard to if they wanna get better and girls have to work hard just the same, its the whole practice makes perfect thing. I dont feel like i have anything to prove to guys who play guitar or anyone else. Dont get me wrong i have worked hard to get to the level i am at, and im still working hard and am trying to challenge myself to more things. I have had one guitar teacher is a girl, and shes really good, i also learned from playing with guys at youth group and stuff and they really tought me lots, ive learned lots from both of them. Also about girls and guys playing differently, with leading worship you cant really notice, but lots of girls who played at my camp this summer who havent been playing for very long wrote some songs with just simple chord progressions but they wrote lyrics to their songs. Ive written some songs and so has my friend who is a guy, and just yeah there is a difference because we write songs without lyrcs and more complex stuff, but its just mostly cuz were more experianced and stuff, most of the people who wanna lead worship at my youth group, just learn a bunch of chords and say there all set, but the yhave absolutely no idea about any notes or anything. So yeah to conclude lol, girls and guys can both play guitar, girls and guys both have to work hard and practice lots, unless of course its a genetic thing and they are gifted...but thats another story..., and girls dont have to work harder just because they are girls! Just my $02

Last edited by Ashleigh; 10-24-2003 at 03:00 PM.
Unread 10-24-2003, 03:55 PM   #80
Tired of being attacked

as a guy guitarist, I think it is simple. no prejudice here. Who buys more cds? guys or girls? Who do we relate to more? those like, or unlike us?

I listen to a lot of guitarists, and I am a fairly decent guitarist. especially exceptional for the fact i cannot feel 2 of my fingertips at all due to nerve damage. i can solo, and I work hard, but my technique or technical skill is not what sells me on a piece.

To be blunt. How are guys allowed to express emotion through this culture? i am a very artistic, emotional guy. However one would need to see my art to see that as I am fairly flat seeming on the surface due to severe conditioning by brutality.

My brothers and I are tough enough to stitch ourselves up from wounds, (yes I have done that before) What outlet do I have without seeming gay? Music, and as I am planning on building a guitar shortly, guys are shocked at what subtle artistic skills I have studied behind closed doors.

You can cry, but I must make my guitar cry for me.

But really I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of great guitar is fairly bombastic or blistering fast. To a woman, this is not considered ladylike. If you can outplay me, fine, but if you cannot play in a way I relate to, then i will not understand the music.

I have been up 70 hrs....

sorry if this rambles too much, but for now

good night.

My Life.
Unread 10-24-2003, 05:28 PM   #81
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I don't think it is physically harder work for a girl to play as good as a guy. I do think, however (back to the predjudice), that it is harder work for a girl to prove herself better then some guys that think they are better then everyone.

Unread 10-25-2003, 08:27 PM   #82

Send a message via Yahoo to Twit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
as a guy guitarist, I think it is simple. no prejudice here. Who buys more cds? guys or girls? Who do we relate to more? those like, or unlike us?....

To be blunt. How are guys allowed to express emotion through this culture? i am a very artistic, emotional guy. However one would need to see my art to see that as I am fairly flat seeming on the surface due to severe conditioning by brutality.

But really I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of great guitar is fairly bombastic or blistering fast. To a woman, this is not considered ladylike. If you can outplay me, fine, but if you cannot play in a way I relate to, then i will not understand the music.
First, why does it matter who buys more cds? That has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Second, the assertion that women don't consider ladylike music that is "bombastic or blistering fast" is so outdated that it's not even funny. If that were the case, music that is "bombastic or blistering fast" is not gentlemanly either.

Third, I have seen several posts arguing that women express emotion differently as is reflected in their playing and men can't relate. I will concede the point that women express emotion differently. That's a fact. Emotional expression, however is not determined by gender alone. More importantly, it is determined by CULTURAL differences, regardless of gender. It is a fact that white men express themselves differently than Asian, Latino, or Black men. Does this cause a man of a different ethnic/cultural background to play music in a way to which you cannot relate or understand since they are "unlike" you? If the "I-only-relate-to-people-like-me" argument is the standard, then your musical exposure must be pretty limited.
Unread 10-25-2003, 08:57 PM   #83
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twit
First, why does it matter who buys more cds? That has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Second, the assertion that women don't consider ladylike music that is "bombastic or blistering fast" is so outdated that it's not even funny. If that were the case, music that is "bombastic or blistering fast" is not gentlemanly either.

Third, I have seen several posts arguing that women express emotion differently as is reflected in their playing and men can't relate. I will concede the point that women express emotion differently. That's a fact. Emotional expression, however is not determined by gender alone. More importantly, it is determined by CULTURAL differences, regardless of gender. It is a fact that white men express themselves differently than Asian, Latino, or Black men. Does this cause a man of a different ethnic/cultural background to play music in a way to which you cannot relate or understand since they are "unlike" you? If the "I-only-relate-to-people-like-me" argument is the standard, then your musical exposure must be pretty limited.
If you think women play the blistering fast bombastic stuff, go to a so-cal underground hardcore show. How many women even show up? a few girlfriends who sit in the back and one or two punk chicks and around 100 guys. I have been to many, many shows and the appeal of them to girls is limited to a selest few.

But then again, it is very much a more male type of music in the way we are conditioned to think, and in the way we are predisposed.

I don't think girls with guitars are going to do as well, because our culture limits guys emotionally to music in a lot of ways whereas women have more outlets for emotion, and thus do not create as massive of a market driving force, and lets be blunt. Do guys generally go for the tattooed pierced chicks? A lot of cross gender cd selling is sex. Not that it is right, but it is what is.

I express emotion differently than you, true. But if I do not comprehend a piece, I will not enjoy it.

Women do NOT express the raw aggresion male guitarists do. I think it has to do with our makeup as individuals.

look at handwriting. Can you not usually tell if it is a guy or girl's signature? I like music that has a lot of raw emotion and aggresion.

Women just are wired differently and as a guy I gravitate toward music I relate to, as do most people. As guys buy more cds as a demographic, of course there wll be a greater demand for music which expresses a male emotion.

I am not limited in my musical taste. But I ahte pieces such as "the rite of spring" where I do not understand it, but obviously, my most enjoyed cds will be the ones with emotions I relate to, and thus will buy more of them. This will lead to a further lead to a gap, but I do not care. I want music I like.

My Life.
Unread 10-26-2003, 04:02 PM   #84

OK, I haven't been on here in a while but I get on and start reading all these different views on women playing guitar. I'm a girl and I've been playing guitar since I was 11 years old and I find this subject really stupid. who cares if it's a guy or girl playing the music as long as it glorifies God and sounds good. God gave many people the gift of playing music and more speficically guitar. and he didn't make guys better guitarists than girls and He didn't make girls better than guys. In my church and many different churches that I have friends in, I know more girls who play guitar than guys. not like that really matters. sure in the music industry you do see female guitarists going towards more mellow music like Jennifer K or Jill P. and more guys in heavy metal. anyway, I know I'm not getting my piont across very well, if I even have one. I'm just saying to those that are saying as if girls aren't able to play hard rock as well, as guys just cuz they mostly don't go in that direction of music. It doesn't mean we can't! I want to keep workin' on my skills and I want to be able to play hard rock music, God willing.
For Christ's glory alone,
the surfN cow freak!!
Unread 10-26-2003, 09:18 PM   #85

Amen to that! AudioRockfreak, and it totally made sense.

Unread 10-27-2003, 06:45 PM   #86
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Exactly! Right on AudioRockfreak!

Unread 11-10-2003, 04:47 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleigh
Amen to that! AudioRockfreak, and it totally made sense.
Thanks Ashleigh and rainer123 I feel so honored!! j/k
at least someone on here understands me. sometimes I make no sense what so ever I even confuse myself.

Ephs 2:4-10

http://www.sovereigngracedb.org

http://soulsurfertv.com
Unread 11-15-2003, 02:40 PM   #88

I'm a female guitar player. I've never been put down or even had that feeling from anybody! Male or female. I'm very open about my guitar playing too. I have a pick on a necklace. People never stare and point. I help lead worship for my church group. The guys are nicer then the girls are!!!! They always ask me to play them a song. So don't tell me that guy are mean to girl guitarists'. And like audiorockfreak said "Who cares who plays it? as long as it glorifys God." That's true. I don't care who plays what instrument. As long as the music roars and God is being praised.

Rock on!
lauren
Unread 11-15-2003, 06:17 PM   #89
Flying Pig

Send a message via AIM to Gollum
ok, here i am. To catapult my ideas of into distant minds...

I'm FOR girls playing. And i'll tell you all my reasons why.

First off, i've said for years that the day i can have a conversation with a women about guitar theory and programming theory then i'm proposing on the spot.

But alas, that is highly unlikelly to happen.

But i truly believe that a well taught girl can be better than a guy, and here is why. GOOD music comes from a person. Not pure skill. Women are more emotional and know more about thier emotions. I think they have more that they can transfer to guitar then most men. To be a GREAT guitar played to have to play by heart, not by mucsle memory.

It's like the other day. I walked in Guitar Center. Made my rounds, said hi to all the employees. And I asked to local chick-behind-the-counter if she wanted to jam. And she was like "Why not?". So she goes and picks up a PRS while i choose my trust Gibson SG goth (wich i'm still saving up for... but i'm also saving up for 10 OTHER guitars). And there was probly about 10 other guys in there that absolutlly sucked. I wouldn't say that to thier face, but when all you play is power chords... then it's time to learn some new stuff. I plug into a marshal TSL100, she plugs into a boogie. And we go off, taking turns playing lead back and forth in the key of Am. People around us were like "That chick can SHRED!". She wasn't playing anything more advanced than me, she's WAY better than me but she wasn't showing it. Now, all the guys didn't care to look at me because they see guys that good all the time.

This is why i want to see more female musicians. Because when they're comitted it shows. Anyone who is commited, WILL be good. That's all there is too it. But they draw more attention, wich i like to see. It's very empowering to know that there is respect out there for female musicians.

Now, because of the sick society it might be a bit hard to gain that respect. So all i can suggest is to keep plugging away.

But like i said. I think that women have a bigger advantage over men with music. So when some jerk off treats you like dirt just don't let him convince you. Becuase he's WRONG. That's all there is too it.

And as far as women in politics... What's wrong with that? There are woemn for leading and men for leading. I think you'll see a larger difference between some men than men and women when you start looking at that. You can't just generalise somthing like that. People are just TOO different on an individual basis.

And behind almost every great man you'll see a women. They just never get as much respect from most people.

If you have ever been hurt by someone who thinks that your inferior by nature than i regret to inform you that they were SO wrong that they probly thought that clinton didn't sleep with monica... nuff said...

"Hey, I'm entitled to my wrong opinion" ~ My bro
"What is man if thou arn't mindful of HIM" ~ Terry Scott Taylor, alarma
"Wanna wear more than just a Jesus Shirt" ~ Mukala
"I want to be a clone" ~ Steve Taylor
"If the healing happends as the time goes by, tell me why i still can't look her in they eye" ~ Steve Taylor
"Hero is a nice boy notion that the real world is going to destroy" ~ Steve Taylor
"Eviscerate words that evoke emtic thoughts*Dissect and discard what speaks of corpse in rot*The leprous stumps of the sick and the lame*The stoning of Stephen Job's scab covered frame*And john the baptist - a head on a platter Remove this gorefest - why should it matter?*You say this pace beckons evil spirits*But I care not what you call it*To me it's two hundred beats per minute*On tableture I scrawled it If you arrived at the site*Of calvary's scarlet fright*Would fears have made your feet take flight*And turn away from our Lord's plight" ~ Tourniquet
"If I could fly away, I'd fly away and never grace this earth again" ~ Me
Unread 11-15-2003, 06:22 PM   #90
Flying Pig

Send a message via AIM to Gollum
PS Phil Keaggy is known as one of the greatest guitarists ever because he knows how to play by feeling.

I guess he's just an emtional guy... Sure makes girls look good though. As future prospects i mean.

"Hey, I'm entitled to my wrong opinion" ~ My bro
"What is man if thou arn't mindful of HIM" ~ Terry Scott Taylor, alarma
"Wanna wear more than just a Jesus Shirt" ~ Mukala
"I want to be a clone" ~ Steve Taylor
"If the healing happends as the time goes by, tell me why i still can't look her in they eye" ~ Steve Taylor
"Hero is a nice boy notion that the real world is going to destroy" ~ Steve Taylor
"Eviscerate words that evoke emtic thoughts*Dissect and discard what speaks of corpse in rot*The leprous stumps of the sick and the lame*The stoning of Stephen Job's scab covered frame*And john the baptist - a head on a platter Remove this gorefest - why should it matter?*You say this pace beckons evil spirits*But I care not what you call it*To me it's two hundred beats per minute*On tableture I scrawled it If you arrived at the site*Of calvary's scarlet fright*Would fears have made your feet take flight*And turn away from our Lord's plight" ~ Tourniquet
"If I could fly away, I'd fly away and never grace this earth again" ~ Me
Closed Thread