Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-02-2003, 11:38 AM   #16

Quote:
TheDanish said:
because girls arent as good as boys at guitar...its a genetic thing....they arent as good as boys at anything come to think of it.
Dane - either you are a major dork, a major jerk, or, most likely, you forgot your nettiquitte and to add some well placed emoticons to indicate that you were just joking. Such as and so on.

ocstg - why wouldn't she be respected with them? They are very popular guitars and are getting great reviews and press. Besides, they are mainly designed with young grrrls in mind because they want to encourage grrrls at an early age to start playing. Also, I've looked at them. They're good guitars. I mean, they don't fit in the $3K to $10K range, but they are definitely good to start on, and, not only that, they can definitely be hot-rodded, which is cool.

Chesh

Last edited by CheshireCat; 10-02-2003 at 11:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-02-2003, 01:28 PM   #17
New Lylebook

Send a message via AIM to Lyle Send a message via MSN to Lyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshirecat
Dane - either you are a major dork, a major jerk, or, most likely, you forgot your nettiquitte and to add some well placed emoticons to indicate that you were just joking. Such as and so on.
You must remember this board lives on sarcasm.. It's everywhere!

My two cents on it... My sister helped me in learning to play the guitar (gave me a book of chords and told me to start playing). She's studied enough to be a music major herslef, though she hasn't been through college yet.... But you'll only be good at one thing as much as you put your mind to it. It will come out as much time as you put in (at least that's the way it is with most things)
Unread 10-02-2003, 02:31 PM   #18

Sarcasm I get. No problem. Ergo, the third bit about proper nettiquette. With a name like CheshireCat, I get sarcasm!

Chesh
Unread 10-02-2003, 10:33 PM   #19
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

i agree wich chess about 'netiquette'...with *just* text it's near impossible to tell the tone of what someone says sometimes...it's not like you can hear the person speaking to get an indication...also, often you don't *really* know the person and aren't familiar with their sense of humor, etc.
Unread 10-02-2003, 10:38 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanish
because girls arent as good as boys at guitar...its a genetic thing....they arent as good as boys at anything come to think of it.
Haha. Tell her what she wants to hear.
Unread 10-02-2003, 10:59 PM   #21
Thread Killer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Zachcore Send a message via MSN to Mr.Zachcore
i think women should only be in two palces....the kitchen and the bedroom....huzzah!

no seriously i dont have a problem with women playing guitar one of the best bassists i know is a female...she rocks the thing! so yeah i think woman singers in rock groups is a different story....superchick anyone?
Unread 10-02-2003, 11:17 PM   #22
Is learning to breathe

Girls have cooties and they smell funny.

But I enjoy playing with anyone, so meh.

Me and the boys would love you to visit My Blog
Unread 10-03-2003, 12:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg7
i agree wich chess about 'netiquette'...with *just* text it's near impossible to tell the tone of what someone says sometimes...it's not like you can hear the person speaking to get an indication...also, often you don't *really* know the person and aren't familiar with their sense of humor, etc.
yea... it makes things even harder if you're like me and have a tendency to read things seriously unless i know for sure it's serious... (eg. humor forum, vs here or somewhere else)
Unread 10-03-2003, 07:20 AM   #24

*My comments are confined to rock and blues, since I've never listened to any female guitarists in other genres.

I have no problems with women playing guitar. However, that doesn't mean that I will necessarily enjoy their music. My experience has been that women have a different feel for guitar than men do. Rock and blues guitar is a very masculine thing, and the feel and attitude I like to hear in a guitarist can only be achieved with a set of you-know-whats (rhymes will "guts").
Unread 10-03-2003, 10:22 AM   #25
FTS
Something

Gotta agree with blues here. It's a different feel. Women and Men have different ways with dealing with their emotions right? It would only go to show that when they express that on the guitar, it'll have a different sound to it... I think. Jean Batten (I THINK that's her name) is a real great rock guitarist, awesome licks, very bluesy rock... and it just sounds different compared to say a bluesy rock piece by Satriani. I mean equally as expressive, equally as technical, yet different.

My opinion on woman guitarists? Great! More power to them. The more women guitarists there are, the more girls will start picking up the instrument. Role models you see, role models. But we need GOOD woman guitarists. We have a few female rock groups here in NZ, and well they basically suck. Bad music, nothing inspiring. I would rather a girl become a great musician than a sucky guitarist.
Unread 10-05-2003, 07:45 PM   #26
Jesus is the Best!

Send a message via ICQ to Eddo Send a message via MSN to Eddo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara K.0.
Its true....
Your great..musicians and horriable teachers to females.
Why all the EGO?
Why do you down size female gutarists?

Hey Ive been playing with the boys for years.

So, tell me something I dont know!!! (curve balls only)
Hey.. I have no problem with girl guitarists.. I actually wish there were some around here.. it would be cool.. girl musicians are cool.. except when the whole band is composed of girls.. *shudders*
Boss Gt-3 FX
------------------------------------
I 'm feeling right now.
------------------------------------
Unread 10-05-2003, 09:31 PM   #27
Thread Killer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Zachcore Send a message via MSN to Mr.Zachcore
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesJunkie
.........can only be achieved with a set of you-know-whats (rhymes will "guts").
butts??? oh wait i gotcha that's obscene!
Unread 10-06-2003, 12:24 AM   #28
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Zachcore
butts??? oh wait i gotcha that's obscene!
yah, since he's a moderator maybe he should ban himself

before braces:
after braces:
Unread 10-06-2003, 12:42 PM   #29

Well, with all due respect, I disagree about playing with balls. At least in the literal, anatomical sense. Figurative, yes, most definitely. But since we are talking figuratively, certain anatomical characteristics are not required.

The reality is, woman are fundatmentally different than men, but just as powerful.

And whats interesting is the number of studies of gender differences. It turns out that men are better at certain things and women are better at other things. But, here's the kicker.

Once you strip away the egotism and chauvanism and "women-should-know-their-place" mentality, it turns out that woman are actually better suited for certain tasks, jobs, and activities that classically have been male dominated and thought to be the exclusive domain of men!

For instance, politics. Politics has classically thought to be a man's world, with women having a tough go of it. Well, truth is, because women are much better than men at relating to others and connecting communally with others, they are far better suited for politics than men are, at least in the sense of getting anything valuable accomplished. Most male politicians would not concede that point, but based on research, it's true.

Women have more power than we can imagine, and, more to the point, than they can imagine, which is probably why they don't claim their power and operate from it.

Now, in music, especially blues, women have more blues to sing about then men do any day of the week!! For instance, what could be more blues driven than being a mother? For nine blissful months you feel a life growing inside of you, morning sickness and strange cravings withstanding. As a woman, you are the Center of the Creation of Life! Life happens inside you. Then, nine months later, you go thru the trauma of having that life ripped from you. And it is supposed to be joyous!?! Strangely, it is, but then you spend the rest of your life saying "goodbye" to that child. Every day that you experience the joy, and often pain, of that child growing up, that day is one step towards seperation and one step away from you that that child takes.

And that's if all goes well. That's not taking into account the trouble that child faces and perhaps suffers. Then, there is the doubt about whether you were good enough as a mom, and so on.

Now, all you dad's out there, I'm sure you are thinking "well, what about us?" Well, yeah, you have dreams and concerns for your child, but there is a bond and nuturing that mothers have that fathers simply cannot touch. But that's not their job, or they would be mothers. Both fathers and mothers are important and both compliment each other, but, that said, judges in family law cases usually award main parental custody to the mother, assuming she is a fit mother, just because that bond is so strong.

So, if having your greatest creation, quite literally a piece of you ripped quite literally from your womb is not a recipe for the blues - laughter, joy, pain, hurt, uncertainy, guilt - then I don't know what is. And women own that free and clear. Men can't even touch. I'm a big fan and advocate of fathers who are emotionally connected to their children and really get it, but they can't touch that.

Not only that, but, do you guys really know what it's like to give birth? Thank the Lord I haven't a clue! But, according to Carol Burnett, it's like taking your bottom lip, and pulling it over your head. One word: "ouch".

Also, keep in mind, some of the greatest blues artists in history were female singers.

Women have been oppressed thru out history, treated like second class citizens, and watched a world unfold around them that they were powerless to help shape, and when they did help shape it, they were given half credit or no credit at all for it, or that credit often went to men. Like I said, if that's not a recipe for the blues, I don't know what is.

So, where does the guitar figure into this? Well, truth is, the guitar - all the macho crap aside - is a rather simple way to express all this blues. In the classical world, many women are a phenomenal and better than their male counterparts. Technically speaking, blues guitar is much easier to play than say concert violin. It's not lesser of an instrument, but it's easily within reach.

The only reason why we haven't seen that many women at the fore yet is because it's not a socially conducive climate for women in rock, blues, and so on. But that is changing, and woman will prove that they have just as much balls as men do.

Actually, women also have balls like men, it's just that they are located slightly north of were you'd expect them.

Chesh

PS - ew, sorry, don't want to be obscene! I wasn't talking about "balls"! I was talking about something that rhymes with "walls"! Yeah, that's it.

Last edited by CheshireCat; 10-06-2003 at 01:13 PM.
Unread 10-06-2003, 01:46 PM   #30
Why am I still here?

Women in politics isnt always a good thing. Im all for treating women with respect and everything, and I'm not one to be all chauvanistic and think all women need to be in the kitchen..... but I am totally against a woman president. They are too emotional, which can have some definite problems if we are still wanting to be viewed as the the strongest nation in the world. And I know women who agree strongly with me on that point.

But women and guitars? I think its hot!