Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-16-2003, 03:54 PM   #1
i love guitar

I'm close to getting a new electric...

I've been an acoustic player all my life and i think that it is about time that i get into the electric world... but sadly, because i am still a teen, money is a very precious and short-summed thing for me. i have about 700-750 to play with for both guitar and amp. arggg... i hate taxes!!! haha. but anyways, over a course of probably a year, i have shortened down my list of possible guitars and amp to this:
-Guitars:
1. Epiphone Les Paul Std (Ebony): i can get it 349.99
2. Dean EVO ft (Black): i just started doing research on this guitar and i have yet to play it.
3. Epiphone G400 (Faded Brown): This is a pretty nice one, but i haven't played it long enough to put a judgement on it.
4. Fender Std Telecaster or Stratocaster (Tele: Black; Strat: Midnight Blue Satin Finish): Good guitars, but i don't know if the quality will last long.

Amps:
1. Line 6 Spider 112: My main choice. i can get it for 300.
2. Crate MX65R: Haven't tried it yet, but looks and sounds nice enough.

As you can see, i am leaning on a humbucker sound and i am looking for a modeling amp.

If any of you have anything else to offer or have tried any of these items and have a opinion, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Rock on, Pce out, and God Bless

Unread 08-16-2003, 04:56 PM   #2
Wingnut

Send a message via AIM to Guitar MC
Well first of all what sort of music will you be playing? First you should decide on the style of guitar you want. You have looked at many of the main styles, Les Paul, SG, Strat and Tele. That is what you need to narrow down first. If you go for a Les Paul you may also want to look into an Agile. They are amazing guitars for the money. I personaly dont like amps with all the built in effects so I will not suggest either of those but if you like them then go for it. Good luck.

-Trey
Unread 08-16-2003, 07:21 PM   #3
Guitars are cool

I'll let you pick out whichever guitar you think is best, but I'mgoing to come right out and say that the Line 6 is probably going to be (if you get it, which I HIGHLY recommend you do) your main amp for a very loooong time.

I have one and it pretty much blows away any other modeling amp I've heard so far. The flexibility and versatility are amazing. Just one flip of one of the effects nobs and you've got like an entirely new sound. I would also recommend getting the floorboard with it. It'll pay off in the long run if you plan on playing at church, or with a band. And don't just play the standard stuff that comes with the amp, experiment with stuff. You can get some really, really nice sounds to come out of that amp.

So, anyways, that's my 2 cents, don't spend it all in one place.
Unread 08-16-2003, 07:50 PM   #4
Good Grief!!!

I'm like Trey and I don't like modeling amps, basically no matter who they're made by. Give me a low-wattage tube combo and I'm set. I do have experience with a Fender Standard Telecaster that I've been playing for a while now. I've been underneath the pickguard and done a complete cavity shield job on it, and I really have high expectations of a long, healthy life for the guitar. Pickups can't go bad and the controls feel quite solid. Of course, there aren't that many controls on a Tele to begin with, which is one thing I happen to like. :ksmile:

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2003, 10:48 PM   #5
Wingnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_Avalanche
the Line 6 is probably going to be (if you get it, which I HIGHLY recommend you do) your main amp for a very loooong time.
Gonna have to disagree with you there big time. I was going to get one a while ago, but got a different cheap solid state amp. It is an amp that will leave you wanting more, wanting a tube amp...

-Trey
Unread 08-17-2003, 11:46 AM   #6
i love guitar

Wow, it really seems like u guys don't like Line 6's... I'm also if'y on them too because i just want a clean channel and a pedal. For instance, my dream (presently) would be a Fender Blues Junior (15 watt all-tube amp) with a Electro-Harmonix Big Muff sustain/distortion pedal. but sadly, my budget doesn't allow for that.

But anyways, please help me on my choice of guitars over my amp. Thank you

Unread 08-17-2003, 11:58 AM   #7
Wingnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSuSmUsIcMaN
Wow, it really seems like u guys don't like Line 6's... I'm also if'y on them too because i just want a clean channel and a pedal. For instance, my dream (presently) would be a Fender Blues Junior (15 watt all-tube amp) with a Electro-Harmonix Big Muff sustain/distortion pedal. but sadly, my budget doesn't allow for that.

But anyways, please help me on my choice of guitars over my amp. Thank you

I dont know for sure but i bet you can get that combo used for about 300. The big muff is only about $50 used but im not sure about the amp...

-Trey
Unread 08-17-2003, 01:13 PM   #8
Guitars are cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar MC
Gonna have to disagree with you there big time. I was going to get one a while ago, but got a different cheap solid state amp. It is an amp that will leave you wanting more, wanting a tube amp...

-Trey
i've played tons of amps (specifically modeling amps, because that's what I use the most), and nothing else measures up to the quality of my Line 6. (Except for the higher end L6s)

But, to each his own. I'd still go with a Line 6 any day.
Unread 08-17-2003, 02:53 PM   #9
hope is the bravest thing

Send a message via AIM to aiwahead Send a message via Yahoo to aiwahead
I have to agree that line 6s are a definate boon.. especially to those who are not quite so monitarily .. blessed. or something. They can provide several different vintage amp sounds (and then the mulitude that you can make yourself) for a fraction of the price of one of those amps. Yes, they arent ON THE MONEY. But then again, most people couldnt tell the difference if they sat next to the amps in a booth :P

Oh and here's my stint on a guitar suggestion. Go check out a Gretsch.. one of the Jet series would most likely suit your needs.. though dont take my word for it: Im obsessed with gretsch So must speak the good word of gretsch..ness..ocity. Yes.
I'm not entirely sure of your price range,as any of these could go easily for low to ultra high cost.
Unread 08-17-2003, 03:04 PM   #10
My famlily

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSuSmUsIcMaN
4. Fender Std Telecaster or Stratocaster (Tele: Black; Strat: Midnight Blue Satin Finish): Good guitars, but i don't know if the quality will last long.
Just out of curiosity, but why wouldn't you think the quality won't last?
Unread 08-17-2003, 07:54 PM   #11
Good Grief!!!

One low-wattage tube combo that can occasionally be had for very reasonable prices is an Ampeg Jet. Very nice amp - the clean tone is killer (better than my own Boogie, which has excellent tone IMO). As far as Line 6 stuff goes, it sounds alright - until you put one side-by-side with a small tube combo (even one that can be had for less than $350). After that, the game's over IMO (stresses the IMO part).
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2003, 08:14 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to shortstuff5023
go for a marshall mg30hdfx for 250 or marshall mg50hdfx for 350 they both rock
for guitar u could get a PRS tremonti SE for 409 or go for almost any Ibanez or Shecter
shortstuff5023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2003, 08:15 PM   #13

modeling amps are just annoying, they allways sound fake, its just kinda empty
Unread 08-17-2003, 08:16 PM   #14

and Line 6 spider 112 sounds like a ukelele with distortion
Unread 08-18-2003, 05:17 AM   #15
Pillar

Buy a good amp. I reccomend the Marshall MG 100. Whatever guitar you get, just insure it's intonation is correct.

This amp will give you a great sound, tone and sustain, and if you don't continue to play electric you'll be able to resell it. Also get the two year warranty which covers you even if you drop it off the back of the truck and is transferable.
pillar is offline   Reply With Quote