Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > F
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rate the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 1 1.67%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 1 1.67%
8 3 5.00%
9 6 10.00%
10 49 81.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-10-2003, 12:29 AM   #1
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Five Iron Frenzy - The End Is Near

Tracks
1. Cannonball
2. At Least I'm Not Like All Those Other Old Guys
3. So Far, So Bad
4. New Years Eve
5. American Kryptonite
6. It Was Beautiful
7. Wizard Needs Food, Badly
8. Farewell To Arms
9. See The Flames Begin To Crawl
10. Anchors Away
11. Something Like Laughter
12. That's How The Story Ends
13. On Distant Shores

For more on Five Iron Frenzy, click here.

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-10-2003, 12:30 AM   #2
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
This CD... WOW. First, I wrote a longer review here, but for now, I'll just say that this is a beautiful goodbye, and you should buy it as soon as you can.
http://www.cornerstoneweb.org/resour...00014&x=16&y=9
Unread 07-14-2003, 11:21 AM   #3
I can't understand you...

Send a message via AIM to SoccerAaron Send a message via Yahoo to SoccerAaron
Easy ten.
This CD is greatness. I highly reccommend. Go to Art's link and buy it now!

http://www.YourFreeVideoiPods.com/index.php?ref=1663076

This is all legit and legal. PM me for more questions. If you sign up through my link and complete an offer, I will give you $10 after I'm given credit for your completion. The blockbuster deal is $10 and you get movies for a month and 4 in-store coupons for movies. So if you cancel before you're billed for the second month you basically are getting free movies sent to you and 4 coupons for free.

I get paid everytime you click this.
SoccerAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2003, 06:31 PM   #4
Rob
36 years is long enough.

An awesome cd! Definatly a 10.

1. Cannonball - A good song but it took a couple listens for me to really like it.
2. At Least I'm Not Like All Those Other Old Guys - great song, hilarious.
3. So Far, So Bad - I really like this song and it seems painfully true about the band. IMO they are one of the top christian bands.
4. New Years Eve - A good song.
5. American Kryptonite - This song reminds me of "The Day We Killed", so if you liked that song, you'll prolly like this one.
6. It Was Beautiful - A nice song about the memories the band has made.
7. Wizard Needs Food, Badly - hilarious song about what guys want. Great song.
8. Farewell To Arms - really good song.
9. See The Flames Begin To Crawl - Another great song.
10. Anchors Away - really good song
11. Something Like Laughter - As with most songs written by Leanor, it's got some unusual poetry in it, but it's still good.
12. That's How The Story Ends - Yet another funny song that writes the ending to many of FIF"s favorite gags.
13. On Distant Shores - AWESOME AWESOME SONG! With all the great songs on this album, this is the song that makes it special. With some of the most passionate lyrics ever by FIF, this song could've been on a Brave Saint Saturn cd. awesoms song.

The End Is Near - a great cd.
Unread 07-19-2003, 08:47 AM   #5

AWESOME CD!!! This is much like Electric Boogaloo.

And I really agree with RobbyRobbyRue, On Distant Shores could have easily been on a BSS album.

~Jon
Jonular is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2003, 07:02 PM   #6
silence speaks volumes

Send a message via AIM to muddleheaded
this is a great album, both from a musical perspective and a fan's perspective. the guitar tones are similar to that of of FIF2:EB, but the horns are very vibrant and present in the mix, which has been lacking on the last few releases. those farmiliar with the band know the line they walk- trying to balance a goofy side and be taken seriously at the same time. Though their last (studio) album was a shock to some at how strictly serious it was, this final effort embraces both sides whole heartedly. the song writting is some of their best, the lyrics are as always phenomenal, and all in all in makes a great goodbye record.
Unread 07-26-2003, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddleheaded
Though their last (studio) album was a shock to some at how strictly serious it was
LOL! That's hilarious! Are you serious? Some people actually thought EB was a serious album?!

I need to go listen to Pre Ex Girlfriend....

~Jon
Jonular is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2003, 12:59 AM   #8
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Ohhhhh, EB... I need to get that back from Lizz.... I miss it so badly...
Unread 07-27-2003, 12:23 PM   #9
Thread Killer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Zachcore Send a message via MSN to Mr.Zachcore
well, it's over sadly what a way to end it though. the perfect mix of old and new. still goofy and lighthearted (Tracks 2,3,7 & 12) but serious also (Tracks 4,6 & 13) I will definately be listening this well into my years and will never forget the impact Five Iron had on me and others as well. a great a Cd a great band at the end of their Career. *sigh* Farewell Five Iron Farewell
Mr.Zachcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2003, 11:57 AM   #10

This cd is spectacular. The music is the best Five Iron has made and the lyrics are really good too.
Cannonball is an awesome song, one of their best.
At least I'm not like all those other old guys has a really cool guitar riff.
and so far so bad features one of the greatest horn/guitar riffs any ska band has ever done, for me ranking up there with the one on the Supertones song unknown.
On distant shores is another spectacular song. It and cannonball get 10's for greatness.
The rest is really enjoyable, and as usual, insightful.
Buy it now.
It's probably their best album.
fifsuperpod37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2003, 07:56 AM   #11
ManyThanks

Lightbulb Greatest album ever

I listened to it five times in a row and loved it more each time. Makes me that much sadder that it's their last. Definately worth the $.
Unread 09-19-2003, 11:53 PM   #12
Thread Killer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Zachcore Send a message via MSN to Mr.Zachcore
last studio album....they are making a recording of their final show hee hee hee oh yeah
Mr.Zachcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2003, 11:35 PM   #13
Epic Clayail

I gave it an 8. It's a great cd, and a great farewell from my favorite band.

1. Cannonball - pretty cool. A tad longish, but the outro is nice.
2. At Least I'm Not Like All Those Other Old Guys - the Fred Durst joke is a tad cliched, but it's a funny song, the music is interesting, and the line about futons is well-done. And speaking of the music, Andy's disco-esque drum beat is fabulous. At the show I saw on their Farewell Tour, Reese was inspired to do the obvious Saturday Night Fever dance.
3. So Far, So Bad - this song is just jaw-dropping incredible. Clever and witty, Dennis sings Reese's lyrics for the verses. The bridge with the "bad-rad-mad...this song is stupid!" aspect is brilliant. It's a light-hearted look at their struggles.
4. New Years Eve - Great stuff. Reese's cracking voice near the end works perfectly, and the lyrics seem like a different approach for him. Very sad yet hopeful song. This could've been a radio hit. A standout of Five Iron's catalog for its format if nothing else, but then again it does seem like a more reserved version of "Spartan."
5. American Kryptonite - Hm. It grew on me quickly, but it's basically the music and topic of "The Day We Killed" and "Vultures" mixed into a song that is cool, but nothing new. The intro Reese does in his angry voice just doesn't work. The horns at the screaming break are just now beginning to interest me. The first time I heard them I cringed.
6. It Was Beautiful - This is a fabulous song. Curiously, Dennis wrote the lyrics, but Reese sings it, just as on "So Far, So Bad" Dennis sings Reese's words. I think this is an endearing move. This song is just beautiful. The music is gorgeous and the lyrics are incredible.
7. Wizard Needs Food, Badly - The song is just perfect. From the talking at the bridge to the sampled video game banter to the pseudo-ska musical approach. The old-timey lilting horns are great, the vocals superb, and the lyrics dry and clever.
8. Farewell To Arms - A good song, but not a great song. The lyrics are the best part, being very in-your-face to the arrogant intellectuals among straying Christians and pseudo-Christians. The music is good but not stellar. This song has gone through many changes (you can find the demoes online or from the people at frenzyboard.com if you ask nicely) and it seems like they never got it quite right. The lyrics almost make up for it, though.
9. See The Flames Begin To Crawl - A classic song. The Rasta vocals they experimented with on "All the Hype..." come back in full-force, and are just perfect in the song, contrasting with the rest of the vocals and highlighting Reese's range and ability to switch between several formats of singing. The music is driving, the lyrics inspiring and self-referential to the band as an entity, and it would've made a good closing song, had they not had the option of "On Distant Shores." Ska guitar makes a triumphant return here, and it's perfect.
10. Anchors Away - This is a great song. Reese has ranted about manifest destiny, blind nationalism, poor attitudes to homosexuality, the dangers of consumerism, etc. Now finally he takes on the media in an incredible song. The music as passionate as the vocals and the lyrics.
11. Something Like Laughter - A decent song, but not great. Out of all the musical backings they've given Leanor's lyrics, this is the weakest. Reese's vocals are okay, and the music is decent, but this isn't a standout like "All That Is Good" or "Me Oh My" was musically. Still a fun song and I look forward to it growing on me.
12. That's How The Story Ends - This is sheer brilliance. Few bands can be humorous and not come across as pointless or asisine. Sorry, Relient K fans. Half-hearted 80's jokes and exaggerations can't match what Five Iron Frenzy has done over the years. This track ties up all the loose ends on Five Iron's major joke songs (not the b-sides on "Cheeses...") such as "Where's Micah?", "Shut Up", "Kitty-Doggy," "Blue Comb '78" (not a joke song, but fans constantly handing Reese blue combs has made it as such), the Pants Rock Opera, and "The Untimely Death of Brad." No reference to the brilliant "When I Go Out" or "I Still Like Larry," but it still works on many levels. Reese's vocals are incredible, looping from Vincent Price-esque spooky tones to his standard fare to somber singing. It's just a great, hilarious track. Even if you don't know all the references, the Edgar Allen Poe allusions and the wonderful music make this a great example of fun recorded on tape. And Andy gets to pull out the double-bass pedal for the chorus.
13. On Distant Shores - A great closer. Five Iron Frenzy doesn't have a best song, but this is a classic that falls alongside such spiritually-minded closers such as "Every New Day," "World Without End," and "Eulogy." The lyrics are very much akin to the confessional emotional outbursts of brave Saint Saturn. The outro is just stunning, one of the best things Five Iron Frenzy has done musically. My brother upon hearing it was just amazed, and was disappointed they didn't do it live. Ending the song with the final refrain of "Every New Day," arguably their most beloved song, is a perfect end. The song would almost fit musically on "Our Newest Album Ever!" with the outro reflecting the direction they've gone since then. I wish more ska-flavored bands wrote songs like this, ska guitar and horns working perfectly with innovative rock. Ending with a ska/rock song helps keep an eye on musical roots, and the ending lyrics keep an eye on the struggles and triumphs of the band.
14. Hidden track - A poorly done hidden track in placement (track 13 drags on with silence for six more minutes, then we wait for three minutes on a new track until it appears. Normally you would just have lots of silence on track 13 and then have the extra material) offers a bittersweet listen into Five Iron Frenzy sitting around as friends and spiritual kin just having fun and laughing. "Let's do more songs...hahahaha." Bittersweet.

A superb cd. I am glad Five Iron Frenzy rose above ska/rock to forge a style no one else touches. Now if only I could find a group of people to take up the torch of FIF post-ska. Maybe even without horns. They became a genre all their own.

Last edited by Starboard Wake; 10-19-2003 at 08:28 AM.
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2003, 04:15 PM   #14
The People's

Farewell Five Iron Frenzy. You shall be missed. 10.

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace
"I get excited about lima beans!" ~Pre-Ex-Girlfriend

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.
Song of Songs 2:15

zXe
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2003, 09:05 PM   #15
Ska is not dead

A great farewell from a band that doesn't get nearly enough credit

For all FIF fans who were somewhat upset to learn of the band's end, this album will help soothe the pain. On Distant Shores is one of my favorite songs ever. The End is Near wraps up Five Iron's 8.5 years together with a bit of everything I've come to love about the band. If you aren't a big FIF fan, go listen to it anyway.
These guys have been so under-appreciated. They've been a big influence on ska and an inspiration to bands like the Insyderz and the O.C. Supertones, not to mention The W's (anyone remember them?) and Relient K. Five Iron Frenzy is an example of everything Christian musicians should be. I talked to several band members at Cornerstone Festival, where they were working their own merchandise booth and selling T-shirts for $10. They weren't in it for the money or fame. Their humility is obvious in all the self-deprecating humor (see the hidden track on The End is Near). Thanks for the great music and shows, Five Iron Frenzy. RIP.
twins_fan is offline   Reply With Quote