Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > F
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rate the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 1 1.67%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 1 1.67%
8 3 5.00%
9 6 10.00%
10 49 81.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-22-2003, 10:52 AM   #16
wants a new screen name..

FIF, I'll miss you guys!!
Dude, best song: "At least I'm not like all those other old guys"
Tis' the best, because I hardly own any ties.

Unread 12-22-2003, 06:16 PM   #17
Epic Clayail

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins_fan
For all FIF fans who were somewhat upset to learn of the band's end, this album will help soothe the pain. On Distant Shores is one of my favorite songs ever. The End is Near wraps up Five Iron's 8.5 years together with a bit of everything I've come to love about the band. If you aren't a big FIF fan, go listen to it anyway.
These guys have been so under-appreciated. They've been a big influence on ska and an inspiration to bands like the Insyderz and the O.C. Supertones, not to mention The W's (anyone remember them?) and Relient K. Five Iron Frenzy is an example of everything Christian musicians should be. I talked to several band members at Cornerstone Festival, where they were working their own merchandise booth and selling T-shirts for $10. They weren't in it for the money or fame. Their humility is obvious in all the self-deprecating humor (see the hidden track on The End is Near). Thanks for the great music and shows, Five Iron Frenzy. RIP.
Since both the Supertones and the Insyderz formed contemporary to and in different places than Five Iron Frenzy, they weren't influences on them.

You are right that they are underappreciated. Derek Webb may have great lyrics, but his music is a retread of Caedmon's Call (not a bad thing). Switchfoot may have concise hits, but not the depth of Five Iron Frenzy. FIF will gather fans for years to come.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2003, 04:20 PM   #18
Uff da

I don't know what I was thinking, but I voted a 9. This is really one of the best cds ever, and certainly the best of FIF.

Bringing <strike>quality</strike> conversation to the internet since 2002.
Muffinly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2004, 06:06 PM   #19
by hope we steer

this cd is by far my favorite cd ever. the lyrics are so true, and the music is just phenomenal. strongly recommend. i give it a 12.
Almost Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 04:06 PM   #20
Wizard Needs FIF

FIF fan

Five Iron Frenzy, my favorite band in the entire world!!!! i love them so much! what a great farewell, this cd is a beautiful goodbye! i love "How the Story Ends" ahahah, too bad combat chuck died (i still like that song). kittydoggy was a great pet. this is deffinetley one of my favorite albums by them. i really like their old stuff too, but i think they went out with a bang...im gonna miss 'em.
Luke Henslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2004, 04:09 PM   #21
Keep rockin for the kids.

10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10
easily the best fif album (until the end is here) i like cuz it has more bass parts!
Unread 06-08-2004, 02:28 PM   #22
Stupid becomes me.

Location: I live... OK, i'd like to say i live in someplace cool, like California or canada, but no. I live in Denver.
Send a message via AIM to Some Kid Send a message via Yahoo to Some Kid
TEIN

Wow. With songs like Cannonball, It was Beautiful, and On Distant Shores (esp. with Every New Day at the end) this album is the best one so far. Five Iron, It's been a blast. Dear Father, I will see you, there on distant shores.
1 Thesselonians 5:21

"Dear Father, I need you. Your strength my heart to mend. I want to fly higher, every new day again"
Some Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2004, 06:41 PM   #23

This album is awexome. It's just what you would expect from FIF- some parts funny, others extremely emotional. Reese is probably my favorite song writer, he writes most of their stuff. The live cd is the best. thing. evar. 10/10
Unread 07-28-2004, 02:50 PM   #24

I know you will all kill me but...

I gave it an eight. I'm sorry, but I don't care much for anything after Quantity is Job No.1. I absolutely LOVE their old stuff: Upbeats and Beatdowns, Our Newest Album Ever, and Quantity is Job No.1 are among my top 10 favorite albums ever! I'm just not a fan of their newer stuff. The recording of the last live show on The End is Here was neat, however. I was teary-eyed when I heard "Every New Day" being played for the last time...ever

*I am prepared for ANGRY PMs...bring it on! *
in all the will of God.
--Colossians 4:12 ESV
Epaphras is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2004, 10:24 PM   #25
Christian guitar freek

Send a message via AIM to MoOMaN_2679 Send a message via Yahoo to MoOMaN_2679
I give it...eh..somewhere between an 8 and a 9...I LOVE FIF....they're songs are very poetic at times, and have great meaning. I don't know...for some reason...I've had trouble figuring out the meaning to certain songs. I don't feel it clarified very much through out the song. Still a great cd...ill say 8.5
Phl 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

My picture in my grandma's car!!

tyler26149h@yahoo.com <---email!
MoOMaN_2679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2004, 01:22 PM   #26

Easily a ten. This is probably the best CD that I own. Right up there with Stavesacre. And that is saying alot. Five Iron Frenzy was one of the most imaginative bands I have ever listened to, lyircally. I just love them. Great CD.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2004, 07:07 PM   #27
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
hey all, just scored the albumn, um i gave it a nice, its still growing on me.

i like see the flames beginn to crawl, and distant shores.
the cd is called the end is near, but with this cd i got an xtra live cd with it called the end is here.

its got old west
handbook for the sellout
0 meets the 15
cannonball
blue comb 78
at least im not like those other old guys
you probably shouldnt move here
oh canada
when i go out
see the flames begin to crawl
vultures
you cant handle this
kryponite
the phantommullet
medley
new hope
world without end
every new day
Unread 04-15-2005, 11:12 PM   #28

so ive never really listened to fif before, but the other day i thought, "hey what the heck? why dont i get this cd?" and so i did. man, this is seriously one of the best cds ive ever listened to. both the live one and the normal (what would you call that?) cd are awesome. its so much fun to listen to, and its got great lyrics, and the music is just i dont know, its just the greatest. im also a big fan of relient k and i now see how fif influenced them in their songs and stuff. so yea, this is a pretty awesome album and i would probably give it a ten. thanks bye.
roger 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 01:09 PM   #29
What did the Kamikazee in

I really enjoyed listening to this CD. I think that it has some of the best songs that FIF has put together. On Distant Shores is a great song for them to end on. If you're a FIF fan and don't have this CD, you're really missing out.
Unread 08-17-2006, 08:01 PM   #30
Kazuki-chan

Talking The End is Near

FIF went out with a bang! I got this CD with the "End is Near/Here" combo. I love "The Cross of St. Andrew". My fav live songs are "Handbook for the Sellout" and "Every New Day". On "Our Newest Album Ever, ( near the bridge where Reese says, "Man versus himself, man versus machine..."), he just talks. But live, when he screams it, I get chills! I can totally feel the emotion in that.
Kazuki-chan is offline   Reply With Quote