Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Music & Musicians > Music > Secular Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2003, 10:11 AM   #1

Secular Songs w/ Christian Lyrics

One of the worship bands at church was asked to do a few songs at a picnic recently, secular rock songs w/ sactified lyrics. We were only given enough time to perform six songs, so we did versions of:
1. Can't Get Enough of Your Love- Bad Co
2. Peaceful, Easy Feeling-Eagles
3. Come Together-Beatles/Morningstar
4. Sweet Home Alabama-Lynyrd Skynyrd
5. Thrill is Gone- B.B. King
6.Long Train Runnin'- Doobie Bros.

We're gonna be doing this again soon. Do any of you have Christian lyrics to any secular songs we could consider doing? Maybe something that's not all old classic rock.

"God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are a gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever." --Thomas
Jefferson

Veritas vos Liberabit
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2003, 10:13 AM   #2
Finally A College Grad!

Send a message via AIM to SnapCase
You mean like the regular song lyrics? Or rewritten lyrics?
Old 07-05-2003, 10:14 AM   #3
Be happy
Super Moderator

Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix

Christian parody band. You'll find more than you could ever need with their stuff
Old 07-05-2003, 11:07 AM   #4
is Your Mom

There is a big thread on Secular Songs with Christian meanings in the Secular Music forum. It's probably scrolled down a bit, though.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCase
You mean like the regular song lyrics? Or rewritten lyrics?
We re-wrote the lyrics on most of the songs we did. A couple of those we found with the new lyrics already. The Eagles song we took the words to Amazing Grace for the verses. MorningStar had already re-written Come Together. Re-written lyrics are what we're looking for.

"God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are a gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever." --Thomas
Jefferson

Veritas vos Liberabit
Old 07-06-2003, 02:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecockroach
Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix Apologetix

Christian parody band. You'll find more than you could ever need with their stuff
oh yeah... be sure to check them out... great stuff.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:27 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to brandontmilan Send a message via MSN to brandontmilan
Don't use rewritten songs...

1. You are disrespecting the writer by discarding his lyrics.
2. If it is the "beat" you are after, just remember that at least half the time, the topic of a song is what draws people to it in the first place, so changing the lyrics are going to make the song unappealing...
3. when you sing the song, though you may have added spiritual lyrics, people are going to continue to hear and to dwell on the original topic of the song, rather than listen to your new lyrics...
4. being original and writing your own stuff would be better...

<br>
"There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: the American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy."
-Bart Simpson, "Bart the General"
<br>
<a href="http://brandonmilan.wordpress.com">It is not wise to upset a wookie...</font></a>
Old 07-07-2003, 10:55 PM   #8
Hope you guessed my name

Luther did it a few centuries ago, and it seemed to work pretty well...
Old 07-08-2003, 09:57 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to brandontmilan Send a message via MSN to brandontmilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gethedge
Luther did it a few centuries ago, and it seemed to work pretty well...
the "secular" music from Luther's time was far removed from the secular music today...

<br>
"There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: the American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy."
-Bart Simpson, "Bart the General"
<br>
<a href="http://brandonmilan.wordpress.com">It is not wise to upset a wookie...</font></a>
Old 07-08-2003, 12:23 PM   #10
Crushy McSternum

Try Metallica's later songs. Nothing Else Matters is a beautiful song, and can more than easily be interpreted as Christian. Also, Linkin Park's 'In the End' is an excellent song from even a Christian standpoint, all about the futility of physical gain.

You could also check out some Dream Theatre. Solitary Shell is excellent.

Now thou hast loved me one whole day,
To-morrow when thou leavest, what wilt thou say ?
Wilt thou then antedate some new-made vow ?
Or say that now
We are not just those persons which we were ?
-Woman's Constancy (John Donne)
Old 07-09-2003, 05:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontmilan
Don't use rewritten songs...

1. You are disrespecting the writer by discarding his lyrics.
2. If it is the "beat" you are after, just remember that at least half the time, the topic of a song is what draws people to it in the first place, so changing the lyrics are going to make the song unappealing...
3. when you sing the song, though you may have added spiritual lyrics, people are going to continue to hear and to dwell on the original topic of the song, rather than listen to your new lyrics...
4. being original and writing your own stuff would be better...
1.We are respecting the writer by using his music. There are many great songs with garbage lyrics that need discarding.
2. I'm attracted to the music first or I won't listen to the lyrics.
3. The music is familiar, but they realize right away that we're not singing the same song, so they want to hear the differences. Even if the original artist adds an extra verse to a song, it immediately catches my attention, just because it's different.
4. We do a lot of original stuff, we are blessed with many songwriters in our church. There are some occasions when we want to do the secular stuff because it's familiar to the audience, non-churchgoers.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Jefferson

Veritas vos Liberabit
Old 07-09-2003, 08:34 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Juli
What about hanging by a moment by Lifehouse, I don't remember if they are considered a Christian band or not. But I love the song.

Do you like to discuss and debate spiritual/theological/philosophical issues? check out this website Zeal For Truth
Old 07-10-2003, 01:58 AM   #13

no they're not... it's a band with Christian members but not known as a christian band...
Old 07-10-2003, 06:16 PM   #14
RIP CITY.

paid
Send a message via AIM to meatfinger Send a message via MSN to meatfinger
I don't think that rewriting secular songs will impress a non-christian crowd. Likely, it will just piss people off. It pisses me off, and I AM a Christian. Why can't the Christian world make their own art rather than altering secular art? We should be able to perform art at a higher level, considering the Inspiration we have.

Old 07-10-2003, 07:00 PM   #15
You wanna see dry land?

Send a message via AIM to Insane Drummer
if it is done is a parodying humorous way i think its great and funny.

but to make a serious song out of it i thing is stupid.

i think a worship band doing it is really a bad idea. if someone knows the origanal version most likely they will not listen to the lyrics. or they might even sing along the normal lyrics and for a worship group this is unneeded

"There are some occasions when we want to do the secular stuff because it's familiar to the audience, non-churchgoers."

doing songs people are familiar with and revamping them is a good way to get people mad.

"Why can't the Christian world make their own art rather than altering secular art?"

um who say the christian world can't...
And I have been too proud to come in out of the rain
Closed Thread