Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-27-2003, 06:45 PM   #1
I Play and Sing For Him!

Guitar Case

Im looking for a durable guitar case that would be good for traveling. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Unread 06-27-2003, 07:17 PM   #2
seeking God

just for traveling by car? or for airplane travel too???
how nice of guitar are we dealing with? it wouldn't make too much sense to spend more on a case than on the guitar.
get a hardshell case for sure, and you may need something more heavy duty if you are going to mail/fly it somewhere.
Unread 06-27-2003, 07:57 PM   #3
I Play and Sing For Him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeo
just for traveling by car? or for airplane travel too???
how nice of guitar are we dealing with? it wouldn't make too much sense to spend more on a case than on the guitar.
get a hardshell case for sure, and you may need something more heavy duty if you are going to mail/fly it somewhere.
it is an Ibanez acoustic electric..pretty nice. .it would be alot of car traveling and maybe the occational airplane(not often, i was thinking that i am thinking of wanting to go on a out of countrymission trip sometime in the future and it would probibly be the case i would go with)
Unread 06-27-2003, 08:19 PM   #4
Thread Killer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Zachcore Send a message via MSN to Mr.Zachcore
yeah definately geta hardshell if you are planning on flying the thing around.....you should be able to find one for around 100 bucks or even less if you really shop around
Mr.Zachcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 09:05 PM   #5
Resident Keaggy Expert

Send a message via AIM to PKfanSteph Send a message via MSN to PKfanSteph Send a message via Yahoo to PKfanSteph
I don't know how much they run, but every touring (or non-touring for that matter) musician I know recommends Carlton hardshell cases especially when flying.
Unread 06-28-2003, 11:15 AM   #6
My famlily

I have an SKB hardshell case that is pretty durable. I have never had a problem with it in the car. As for flying I've never flown with it so I couldn't help you there.
Unread 06-28-2003, 07:21 PM   #7
Very nice!

paid
Send a message via AIM to Brent
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKfanSteph
I don't know how much they run, but every touring (or non-touring for that matter) musician I know recommends Carlton hardshell cases especially when flying.
You sure you don't mean Carson Cases? That's the one I've heard and seen many Christian musicians recommend and use. They're made by Dan Carson, Sr., who is the father of Dan Carson, Jr., who is the guitarist in Chris Tomlin's band. They have an "official" name now of Dandee Cases and can be found at www.dandeecases.com . As far as amp cases go they'll cost you about as much as one of those floppy SKB universal amp cases, but for guitars they'll probably run you a bit more than average.

However...

I'd been looking at these cases made by Gator Cases when I was planning on purchasing a guitar to take with me to Africa on my mission trip in August:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/73074

They're only $60 bucks when SKB's (You're only paying for the name) cheapest case is like $100. I hadn't purchased a guitar to take with me or a case yet when I found a NICE Ibanez acoustic/electric at a local pawn shop that was in brand new condition and came with a hardshell case. I dug the guitar, so I asked to see the case, too. Well, when he brought it out it just so happened that it was this same $60 Gator case that I'd been contemplating before. I ended up buying the guitar and case right there with the case simply sealing the deal for me. This thing is ROCK SOLID and I don't have any worries about taking it with me on the plane. It's also got a lock on it and the essential extra compartment inside for accessories and a nice black plush lining. If your Ibanez is a cutaway you might want to make sure of the measurements of it and compare them with the specs on Gator's site at www.gatorcases.com .

A word of warning for you: If your guitar is extra important to you to the point that you would get it insured for your plane flight you MUST have an ATA approved flight case to send it in (The Gator ATA case is just $105). Insurance on musical instruments will be paid ONLY if you have a flight case. I'm not worried about this as the guitar I'm taking is not my main acoustic/electric, so I got the cheaper (but still tough) case. Just know your insurance is no good without the expensive case.
You're an immigrant, too!
Who's using who?
What should we do?
Well, you can't be a pimp and a prostitute too!

The White Stripes - "Icky Thump"
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 07:32 PM   #8
Wingnut

Send a message via AIM to Guitar MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
I'd been looking at these cases made by Gator Cases when I was planning on purchasing a guitar to take with me to Africa on my mission trip in August:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/73074
I have this case. I got it because it was the cheapest and I needed to take it on a trip to colorado. Since then I have taken it on many road trips and I have taken it on the plane once with no problems. These cases were made for Mars before they went bankrupt and I guess musicians friend bought them up. They have a little Mars logo on them. These are great cases and worth plenty more than $60.

-Trey
Guitar MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 07:50 PM   #9

I reckon the Fort EEP case looks cool - http://www.seagullguitars.com/fortepp.htm,

the price here in australia is quite reasonable.
comeback2morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 07:03 AM   #10
Very nice!

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar MC
I have this case. I got it because it was the cheapest and I needed to take it on a trip to colorado. Since then I have taken it on many road trips and I have taken it on the plane once with no problems. These cases were made for Mars before they went bankrupt and I guess musicians friend bought them up. They have a little Mars logo on them. These are great cases and worth plenty more than $60.

-Trey
I doubt you'll find a Mars logo on any of them you buy now. Gator is a case manufacturer who does their own thing, not just making special cases for stores. The one I have has no Mars logo on it, just a Gator Cases logo. Doesn't seem like Musician's Friend would sell an item with a competitor's mark on it either.
Who's using who?
What should we do?

Unread 06-29-2003, 09:52 AM   #11
Wingnut

Quote:
I doubt you'll find a Mars logo on any of them you buy now. Gator is a case manufacturer who does their own thing, not just making special cases for stores. The one I have has no Mars logo on it, just a Gator Cases logo. Doesn't seem like Musician's Friend would sell an item with a competitor's mark on it either.
I could be wrong but it looks like it in the picture and musicians friend bought out a lot of Mars' stuff so, but thats just my guess.

-Trey
Unread 06-30-2003, 06:13 PM   #12
Very nice!

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar MC
I could be wrong but it looks like it in the picture and musicians friend bought out a lot of Mars' stuff so, but thats just my guess.

-Trey
The red thing on the headstock area of the case is the Gator Cases logo...same one that's on mine.
Who's using who?
What should we do?

Unread 06-30-2003, 10:51 PM   #13
Wingnut

Quote:
The red thing on the headstock area of the case is the Gator Cases logo...same one that's on mine.
Ah, you are proboly right. The mars logo looks a lot like that so I guess I just assumed it was. Anyway, its a good case.

-Trey
Unread 07-18-2003, 10:45 AM   #14
I Play and Sing For Him!

anything bad with TKL cases?
Unread 07-21-2003, 07:27 PM   #15

Charlie, I have one. . .

My wife got me one for my birthday and I love it. I bought a Johnson acoustic off E-bay when I started playing. I paid 39.00 for the guitar and the case was about 75.00 shipping and all. Musicians Friend has them on sale now for 49.00.

My Guitar fits like a glove. It is soft and pretty well made. I take the guitar to work and play for 20 minits or so during lunch and the car was beating it to death. Even in a gig bag.
ShadowPilot is offline   Reply With Quote