Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Community > CGR Members' Art, Music & Literature
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-09-2004, 05:11 PM   #46

Response To The Passion Movie

"Response To The Passion Movie"
By: Zach Wood
Philippians 2:3-5
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus.

Recently, my wife and I went to see "The Passion of The Christ" by Mel Gibson. Our church group is planning to go this Friday, but we wanted to view it before we went with the church group. Jill and I had no idea what to think or feel before the movie even started. We felt this unexplainable uncertainty of what we were about to see since this was not any original movie that we would normally go to for entertainment. For those of you who have not seen it, I will refrain from giving you specific details of what happened on the screen. However, it's just a graphic depiction of Scripture, so there's really nothing new. The only thing new is the length Mel went to show the gory torture and death Jesus went through. It wasn't long into the movie, my wife and I were in tears and cringing at what we were viewing. This was no normal horror picture with scary scenes, this was an actual depiction of a true story from our Savior, Jesus Christ.

There are no words to describe to you how we both felt through the whole movie. We cried through many parts of it, especially the end. When the movie was over, we both just sat there in our seats speechless at what just came to our eyes for 2 hours. Unlike the time before the movie, there was complete silence as people walked out of the theater. Many people were crying, including Jill and myself. After we got out to the car, we both broke down and cried even more. It was hard to find words to say to each other for a while. We were both just totally stunned and overwhelmed by what we just saw.

I thought of 3 words while watching the movie. The first 2 I'll share with you and the third in a few moments. The first 2 words I thought of were "selfish" and "ashamed". I felt so selfish and ashamed thinking of how selfless and unashamed Christ was in dying a death to save me. I thought of all the times in my life when I've been so selfish and times when I've been ashamed of the name of Christ. Not bashing Him, of course, but times when I've had the opportunity to share more or reveal my Christian lifestyle and I've remained silent for fear of response. When I read in Scripture and saw on the screen how Christ's attitude was toward people, it made me feel sick. I need to be selfless and unashamed so that people will see the light of Christ in me. The third word I thought of was "appreciative". I thought that if I'm selfish and ashamed, then I cannot truly be appreciative of what Christ has done for me. However, if I'm selfless and unashamed, then I can truly be appreciative of what He did. When I'm truly appreciative, then I'm living in worship to Him.

If you have not yet seen the movie, please go see it. I know there are many questions concerning the violence, R-rating and age appropriation. If you have kids, use your own discretion and either view the film before they do, or don't take them at all. I will not sugar-coat how graphic and disturbing the movie is. It's NOT a movie to like or say "it was good". It's the most powerful movie about Christ my wife and I have ever seen and we'll remember it for a long, long time. If you go to see it, please pray before-hand and ask God to open your heart, mind and soul to what you are about to see. And, if you can, watch every scene. Don't hide your eyes. Yes, it's very difficult to watch at certain parts, but it's something we visually need to see and be reminded of what He went through.

I know that I'll never understand or grasp fully why Christ died. It's something I'll never comprehend completely, but that's okay. I'm just very thankful He did die for me. I pray you are and will continue to be thankful.

Devoted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-09-2004, 05:58 PM   #47

Very well said, and I agree fully with the three impact words you chose.

Without tramping on your post, I'd like to add one more. 'Personal.' He poured out his blood, he gave his life for me. For my sin.
Unread 03-11-2004, 01:32 AM   #48
Epic Clayail

Um, it wasn't the "true" story. It took many, many liberties.

And before you recommend it to others, perhaps you should go to theology and look over the debate on whether it violates the Second Commandment or not.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2004, 10:11 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard Wake
perhaps you should go to theology and look over the debate on whether it violates the Second Commandment or not.
If we wanted to argue about it we would do it in the theology forum. Evidently we've already decided for ourselves, thus the posts here.
Unread 03-11-2004, 11:34 AM   #50

Angry Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard Wake
Um, it wasn't the "true" story. It took many, many liberties.

And before you recommend it to others, perhaps you should go to theology and look over the debate on whether it violates the Second Commandment or not.
What is wrong with you!? The Passion of the Christ shows, in detail, what CHRIST went through and is more accurate than 90% of the previous movies that show the last 12 hours of his life. WAKE UP! THIS is what he did for you! If you can't handle it, I suggest you spend some time getting saved or resaved (which ever it is you need!)
Skillet fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2004, 11:53 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet fan
What is wrong with you!? The Passion of the Christ shows, in detail, what CHRIST went through and is more accurate than 90% of the previous movies that show the last 12 hours of his life. WAKE UP! THIS is what he did for you! If you can't handle it, I suggest you spend some time getting saved or resaved (which ever it is you need!)
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I look forward to Jeffery's response...
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2004, 12:56 PM   #52
Be happy

It is extremely distasteful to start an argument in a thread like this.

I did not think so highly of the movie myself but it was a wonderful reminder of a terrible and beautiful event.

"At the wonderful, tragic, mysterious tree
On that beautiful scandalous night you and me
Were atoned by His blood and forever washed white
On that beautiful, scandalous night"
Unread 03-11-2004, 01:37 PM   #53

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
I AGREE!!!! JEFFREY NEEDS TO GET RESAVED!!!!

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2004, 01:39 PM   #54
Epic Clayail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecockroach
It is extremely distasteful to start an argument in a thread like this.
Why? He's writing a devotional that I think praises the film too much.

Quote:
I did not think so highly of the movie myself but it was a wonderful reminder of a terrible and beautiful event.

"At the wonderful, tragic, mysterious tree
On that beautiful scandalous night you and me
Were atoned by His blood and forever washed white
On that beautiful, scandalous night"
Bob, every waking moment of my life is a reminder of that event. Those Choir lyrics you quoted moved me more than this Roman Catholic film.

Quote:
First off, how can one be resaved? It seems you are advocating that we can lose our salvation. That is wholly unscriptural.

Second, I was "saved" long ago and for that reason being in fellowship with the incredibly Holy Lord Christ I had high standards that anyone would have to meet if they were going to depict my Lord.

And Mel Gibson failed.

He used a handsome, long-haired, Anglicized Christ, and I was disappointed. Rather than break boundaries and show what Jesus really looked like, he used the traditional, unhistorical Christ.

By the way, we don't know what Christ looked like.

And I think there was no need to make a film. God promises us His word does not come back void. Why can't we use His word?

Quote:
What is wrong with you!? The Passion of the Christ shows, in detail, what CHRIST went through and is more accurate than 90% of the previous movies that show the last 12 hours of his life.
More accurate...where? St. Veronica with the facial print of blood? Mary being at the trial? Jesus being tossed like a puppet off a bridge? The androgynous Devil being present? The crow pecking out the abusive thief's eyes? The Jews not claiming the bloodguilt on themselves and their children? The demon children haunting Judas? The mutant baby?

Christ being lashed an unhistorical 78 times, the latter 39 on the front?

The cross being flipped over?

The nails going through the palms instead of the wrist?

Quote:
WAKE UP! THIS is what he did for you! If you can't handle it, I suggest you spend some time getting saved or resaved (which ever it is you need!)
You wake up. You realize this film was made by a Trinitarian Roman Catholic who doesn't believe you (if I am to assume you're a Protestant) and I are going to Heaven?

This was a Roman Catholic film riddled with problems.

Yes, it reminded me of Christ. But every thing in my life should and does.

I could handle it. I watched every second of that actor who looked nothing like a historical first century Jew having special effects laden on him.

Unread 03-11-2004, 01:40 PM   #55
Epic Clayail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinker
If we wanted to argue about it we would do it in the theology forum. Evidently we've already decided for ourselves, thus the posts here.
Well, since people come here for devotionals, I'm calling your hand on it.

If I saw a devotional that said one could lose their salvation or claimed that the bread and wine Christ used at the last supper was grape juice, I would say something.

Unread 03-11-2004, 07:49 PM   #56
You wanna see dry land?

Send a message via AIM to Insane Drummer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet fan
Call down. Yes it shows what Christ went through, with quite a bit of artistic liberty, it is not 100% accurate. And in my opinion the second most important part of the entire move was weak and poorly done. The part where the veil of the temple was torn, it just wasn't as powerful as it should have been in my mind that is the second (if not most) important part of the cruxificton. The first being when Jesus cries out "My God, My God, why have You forsaken me".
And I have been too proud to come in out of the rain
Insane Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2004, 10:11 PM   #57
By the Beard of Zeus!

Send a message via MSN to supahfly23
Quote:
He used a handsome, long-haired, Anglicized Christ, and I was disappointed. Rather than break boundaries and show what Jesus really looked like, he used the traditional, unhistorical Christ.By the way, we don't know what Christ looked like.
um, i still don't understand why this is in a Devo. thread, but.....

Did anyone catch that? if we don't know what Jesus really looked like, how do we know that what this guy looks like now is completly innaccurate? I was glad that they didn't use the blonde-hair, blue-eyes, halo-headed Jesus.
Quote:
You realize this film was made by a Trinitarian Roman Catholic who doesn't believe you (if I am to assume you're a Protestant) and I are going to Heaven?
Why does it matter if Mel Gibson doesn't think i am going to heaven? Does that mean i am not? does that nulify this whole film? do the beliefs of any film maker make his work completly terrible or awesome?

my 2 cents
Unread 03-11-2004, 10:59 PM   #58
Epic Clayail

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahfly23
Did anyone catch that? if we don't know what Jesus really looked like, how do we know that what this guy looks like now is completly innaccurate? I was glad that they didn't use the blonde-hair, blue-eyes, halo-headed Jesus.
Historically, the first century Jews didn't have long hair. Unless they were Nazarites, but since that also included a vow to never drink wine, we can be sure Christ wasn't one.

Also, if we have no way to guess what Jesus looked like, why give ourselves a mental image we know to be false?

Quote:
Why does it matter if Mel Gibson doesn't think i am going to heaven? Does that mean i am not? does that nulify this whole film? do the beliefs of any film maker make his work completly terrible or awesome?
It says something about Mr. Gibson's faith and whether he's qualified to have this much hype and support.

Unread 03-11-2004, 11:01 PM   #59
Epic Clayail

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahfly23
um, i still don't understand why this is in a Devo. thread, but.....
Because I think his devotion's total praise of this movie is dangerous and unfounded. It needs concessions to the unBiblical elements and more Scripture in it.

Unread 03-11-2004, 11:20 PM   #60
By the Beard of Zeus!

Send a message via MSN to supahfly23
Thanks for those points, they did help me out.

Quote:
It says something about Mr. Gibson's faith and whether he's qualified to have this much hype and support.
i totally agree with you. I don't think an ounce of credit or hype should go to Mel, or even the movie. We have all heard of the masses leaving the theater in tears, but I must say that this is not the doing of Mel. This movie cannot save someone, nor can Mel. The credit for someone getting saved as a result of experiencing this movie should be sent straight to God. Those who wept during the movie, including myself, did not weep because of this movie, though those images might have helped, but because of the working of the Holy Spirit within each of us. Because of that i do not credit this movie. I think starboard wake qoted the bible saying that God's word will not come back void. You make a valid point. I do think though, that this is somthing that God is useing to send his word out. maybe he isn't, but the fact that Mel Gibson made this movie doesn't mean that God still won't use it to reach thous who might not sit down and read a bible. We truly won't know what God thinks of this movie till we get there, and His opinion is all that really matters anyway

i believe that was four cents

Tags
www.zwdevotions.com