Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Community > CGR Members' Art, Music & Literature
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-29-2003, 11:30 AM   #31

Are We Dependent Or Independent?

"Are We Dependent Or Independent?"
By: Zach Wood
Philippians 3:3 (NLT)
For we who worship God in the Spirit are the only ones who are truly circumcised. We put no confidence in human effort. Instead, we boast about what Christ Jesus has done for us.

The Apostle Paul is huge example of Godly living. He's one of those people in the Bible who stands out among many. This passage from Philippians is under the section titled "No Confidence In The Flesh". The more I read this passage, the more convicted I became of how independent I am so many times from Christ and how often I rely on human strength and confidence when I try to tackle life's obstacles and tasks.

Sometimes, we tend to rely on our own strength when serving God and doing works for Him. I shared this Scripture with the Worship Team Saturday morning at my church before we began rehearsal. I talked about how the Spirit is the true worship leader and we are vessels for the Spirit to use to help people come to the Throne of God. I explained how we sometimes get something down so well through rehearsing that many times we feel we can do it alone. I went on to explain that no matter how much we practice and rehearse something in our lives, we can never separate ourselves from the guidance of God. We're never good enough to do something apart from God's direction. We may improve and get better at whatever we're doing, but God never meant for us to become independent from Him to do things in our own strength. He didn't create us that way and it won't work our way.

If we are going to truly worship God, we must be completely dependent upon Him as if we're trying something for the first time. Yes, God gives us strength and knowledge to get better, but He never says to rely on Him less as we get better. We always need Him. Paul says to never put confidence in the flesh. He knew what He was talking about. Let's learn a lesson from Him and stop trying to serve God on our own strength. It's wonderful to have the passion to serve and to want to get better. But we should never think we're good enough to rely less on God's guidance and instead rely on our own. It just won't work. Maybe for a while, but sooner or later, we'll realize things aren't working so well.

If we desire to boast about what Christ does in our lives, then we need to end our independence and be completely dependent upon Christ.

Devoted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-08-2004, 10:18 PM   #32

What A Gift & Promise We Have

"What A Gift & Promise We Have"
1 Peter 1:3-4 (NLT)
All honor to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, for it is by his boundless mercy that God has given us the privilege of being born again. Now we live with a wonderful expectation because Jesus Christ rose again from the dead. For God has reserved a priceless inheritance for his children. It is kept in heaven for you, pure and undefiled, beyond the reach of change and decay.

I want to make a challenge to all of us for this new year and even the years to come in our lives. As we begin this journey into a new year of 2004, I am praying that each of us would take the time each day to remember the most wonderful gift and promise we have in life. It's not of this earth, it's of heaven. It's a gift God gave to us through His Son, Jesus Christ. That gift is salvation and the promise we have of having a home with Him eternally.

There are so many things we can become distracted by and complain about how life is so rough and unfair for us. But, if we take the time to lift our eyes to Christ and be reminded of what is waiting for us, our attitudes can and will change. What a gift we have and a promise we can hold onto, knowing that we have a beautiful home and reward waiting for us that cannot wear away or be destroyed.

Whatever it might be that you're experience today, this week, this month or year, remember that God is in control and will you always be with you. This earth is only temporary, but our heavenly home will be eternal. Moth, rust and change cannot reach heaven. What's waiting for us is pure, undefiled and golden.....just waiting to be revealed to us. Aren't you looking forward to that?

Throughout this year and the rest of your life, never forget what God has given to us and what He promises us as His Children for eternity. It truly does make everything else on this earth seem so minor. We have the most wonderful gift and promise we could ever hope or ask for. Are we grateful for the gift and promise we have in Jesus Christ?
Unread 01-08-2004, 10:39 PM   #33
TheOldGuy

Life here can be very hard. Cancer and death can cause us tremendous fear and anxiety. When it gets like that for me I remember one of my favorite verses that comes from Revelation 21.

Verses 3-4 say, Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.

Thank you Lord, for that promise and for your faithfulness!
Let me trust You with my life
Let me live to give You praise
Let me praise you for the grace by which I'm saved
Lord, Let me sing
- Andrew Peterson
hockeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2004, 05:12 PM   #34

We Need Our Clothes On

"We Need Our Clothes On"
Colossians 3:12 (NIV)
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion,
kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

Most of us would probably agree that what is on TV and movies these days is not much for the Christian "eye" to view. We see these people on screen and think to ourselves, "Okay, you need some more clothes on!" I know I do. It's worse today than when I was a child growing up. It disgusts me that I cannot seem to watch much TN or watch a movie that doesn't display some kind of inappropriate dressing. As Christians, we look at this dressing in disgust. However, when I think about our spiritual lives, I cannot help but to think we aren't "dressed" as we should be in the Kingdom. As I read this Scripture, all I could think of was how we need to have our spiritual clothes on so that people will know we are children of God.

You wouldn't walk outside and go to work in your underwear. That's ridiculous and I'm sure not many good things would happen through your day. You wouldn't go to a business office and wear only your pants without your shirt. That wouldn't be proper dress conduct. Dress is very important to live everyday. Making a wholesome appearance is vital to our daily living

Every single day, we need to put on compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience so that we have the attitude of Christ and can successfully show His love to others. We are dearly loved by God and He desires for us to go out into the daily world with our spiritual clothes on. He wants us to reflect His Son, Jesus Christ. But, how can we possibly shine if we are going out only half-way dressed? We would feel uncomfortable going out only in our underwear or pants, so why don't we feel uneasy when we sail through our daily routine without our spiritual clothes on? They are vital to us living a daily Christ-like life. Without these clothes, we are naked and more open to Satan's attacks on our attitudes, our actions, and how we treat people.

So, when you get up in the morning, after you get dressed with our regular clothes that cover your physical body, remember to put your spiritual clothes on as well and live another day serving the Lord.
Unread 01-20-2004, 05:54 PM   #35

Label Or Lifestyle?

"Label Or Lifestyle?"
John 8:31-32 (NLT)
Jesus said to the people who believed in him, "You are truly my disciples if you keep obeying my teachings. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

It's wonderful to be called a disciple, is it not? I wouldn't want my life to have any other label other than a devoted follower and disciple of Jesus Christ. I believe in Jesus and desire to serve Him and follow Him more than anything else in life. However, if my actions, words and reactions do not reflect a lifestyle of the Savior, then I'm merely just wearing a label. I may believe in Him, but if I'm not living the Christ-like life, then my words are worthless particles flowing through the air with a flaky fragrance.

Look at what Jesus says in this passage. He says "you are truly my disciples if you KEEP obeying my teachings". I feel the key word here is "keep". You can't just obey one thing Christ commands and feel that makes you a forever living disciple. His teachings are for us throughout life and we should desire to do nothing but live out what He teaches us. If we live by His teachings, then we will have more than a label. We'll have a Christ-like lifestyle.

Do you want to just have a label as a disciple or be a true disciple by living a lifestyle that proves you're a disciple? Shouldn't be a hard question to answer. Yet, sometimes the desires we have don't flow through our daily lives. We get caught up in calling ourselves Christians, devoted followers of Jesus Christ, and many times just live a life no different than someone who knows nothing about Christ. I don't know about you, but I do not want to just have a label and live life. I want to have the dedicated lifestyle of being a daily follower of Jesus Christ.

If we want to be true disciples of our Lord and Savior, then we are to obey His teachings daily and live out the Christ-like life. This truth shall set us free. We need to keep obeying His teachings, whether we feel like it all the time or not. They are not options, they are commands from our Father for a healthy life of a devoted follower.
Unread 01-20-2004, 09:54 PM   #36
TheOldGuy

I have known people who profess to be followers when times are good and they seem to be truely blessed. But when time get tough...finances, illness, death...they fall away and maybe even blame God.

On the other hand I have known people who have turned to God when times were difficult and there was no other hope but when things got better they went back to their old way of life.

I think that the real measure of a person's relationship with Christ is how that person behaves and even thinks when no one else is around.

Just something to think about.
Lord, Let me sing
- Andrew Peterson
Unread 01-20-2004, 11:01 PM   #37
Thinking Summer

Send a message via Yahoo to Jo Mo
After reading your entry Zach, I couldn't help but think about Adam and Eve in the garden before the fall how that they were naked and not ashamed. But I sincerely believe that they were wearing something that no mortal man knows about. Gods goodness, his peace, his love, his faithfulness, and of course his glory had clothed them. It was after the fall that they had realized their nakedness. The only scripture that I could back this up with is somewhere , I think in Exodus, in the bible where Moses was coming down out of the mount with the commandments and the face of Moses shown so bright that the people begged him to cover his face with a veil because they were so afraid. It was because, of course, their shame of sinful living. the holiness of God was much too terrible to them.

But in the case of the word you gave. Our clothe now brings a relief, if you will, to the world when they see our true clothes of humility, faith and love that they would wish to be clothed with the same. Bless you Brother.
Jo Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2004, 01:27 PM   #38

Nothing Stronger

"Nothing Stronger"
Psalm 93:4
Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea-- the Lord on high is mighty.

Do you feel defeated right now by a strong obstacle in your life? Are you facing a "Goliath" that seems too hard to overcome? You're probably wondering why I'm writing this devotional when I just wrote one a few weeks ago titled "What Is Your Goliath?" Well, after reading this passage, I thought of the many times when I haven't relied on God's promised mightiness. I've had opportunities to really trust in His power and strength, only to succumb to the obstacles in front of me and retreat. It's not that life ended for me at that point, but I failed to experience the true mightiness of God over my obstacle.

No matter what seems strong or impossible to me, God is mightier and more powerful than anything I could ever imagine. I pray this devotional would simply serve as a reminder this week of how awesome and powerful God really is. His is mightier than the thunder, which crashes loud and gets our attention. All my life, I have enjoyed thunderstorms. Just something about the sky turning black and a storm coming through really gets me excited! I can't explain it, really. The louder the thunder, the more awesome the feeling that rushes through my body. Lightning and thunder is something I'll never understand. But that's okay, because I just enjoy the intensity it brings. However, even though the thunder is strong and loud, it's absolutely nothing compared to God's mightiness.

There is nothing stronger and more powerful than the strength and power God has in bringing us through situations in life. He always amazes me with His strength through the tough times of my life. Somehow, He reminds in a new way that He is mighty and nothing can be stronger than His love and power. Do you believe that there is nothing stronger than His love? The Lord on high is mighty indeed!
Unread 02-05-2004, 01:13 PM   #39

Sometimes We Forget

"Sometimes We Forget"
1 Corinthians 10:31(NIV)
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

I didn't think I'd be old enough yet to start losing my memory, but a couple of weeks ago proved me wrong. Earlier during that week, on Tuesday to be exact, I went to get my eyes checked at the eye doctor just to have a check-up. While the assistant was taking me through a few tests and screenings, she asked me my age. For the first time in my entire life, I actually forgot how old I was! I looked at her and, with an embarrassed expression, I replied, "I think I'm 28, but wait, I might be 27". What kind of response would you expect from someone if you forgot your age? She just had this look and expression and I could just hear her thoughts, "Okay, this guy doesn't even know how old he is.......weird". I told her 28 and went on with the exam. Thursday came and my fiancée(Jill) and I went to apply for our marriage license. Jill had filled out the form and put my age in the appropriate box. I looked down at it when we got to the counter and I said, "Wait a minute, hon, I'm 28". Okay, more strange looks from both her and the clerk. I thought I was seriously losing my mind. I was already embarrassed! How could I forget my age?? After a while, I actually got my cell phone out, went to the calculator option and did the math,
2004-1976. I was counting on my fingers to make sure I had it right. I looked up and said, "Wait....I am 27! What am I thinking. By that time, the clerk had already changed the box to 28, and then she changed it back to 27. I had two ladies standing there with interesting expressions. It was a very interesting experience, but embarrassing. Of course, Jill had a "field day" with this and teased me for most of the day. After I got over my embarrassment, I laughed pretty hard, too and was even sharing it with other people.

You're probably wondering why I just went into that extended and detailed story. Well, I forgot something that I never thought I would forget! Come on, my age?? How can you not know your age? Well, I did forget and I often forget many other things through the days, weeks, months and years of my life. It's part of being a human being. We don't like to forget, especially when it's something important.

How often do we forget that everything we do in our daily lives should be done for the glory of God? I mean, do we really take the time to consider all that we do during the day and pay close attention to do those things for God and praise Him? I found myself embarrassed and shocked that I forgot something so simple as my age. However, am I shocked and bothered when I forget to give God the glory for things throughout my daily life? I'm sad to say that I don't. I have to realize that every move I make, every word spoken, every place I go, that I'm giving glory to God as I'm going and living out my day.

Why don't we take more time to consider how we give glory to God all through our days? Maybe you are and that's wonderful! I commend you if you're constantly thinking of how to give glory to God in every single thing you do all day. But many of us don't put that into a desired practice and we feel like it's a chore to give glory to God, especially when we're having a bad day. God has given us so much to be thankful for and praise Him for.

Sometimes, we forget. Oh how that must break our Father's heart. How often do we forget? That's a "heart" question each of us must answer individually. It's my prayer that we would make more of an effort to not forget to give glory to our loving Father every moment of our day, through consistent, daily prayer without ceasing as Paul talks about in 1 Thessalonians 5:17(NASB).

Let's not forget to give glory to God due His name for all things.
Unread 02-05-2004, 01:25 PM   #40
Thinking Summer

Send a message via Yahoo to Jo Mo
Hey don't thimk that you are alone Bro. I am 45 and I still forget my age from time to time. I have to ask my wife to correct myself.
Jo Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2004, 09:30 AM   #41

Send a message via ICQ to [h2o] Send a message via AIM to [h2o] Send a message via MSN to [h2o]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoted1
"Sometimes We Forget"
1 Corinthians 10:31(NIV)
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

I didn't think I'd be old enough yet to start losing my memory, but a couple of weeks ago proved me wrong. Earlier during that week, on Tuesday to be exact, I went to get my eyes checked at the eye doctor just to have a check-up. While the assistant was taking me through a few tests and screenings, she asked me my age. For the first time in my entire life, I actually forgot how old I was! I looked at her and, with an embarrassed expression, I replied, "I think I'm 28, but wait, I might be 27". What kind of response would you expect from someone if you forgot your age? She just had this look and expression and I could just hear her thoughts, "Okay, this guy doesn't even know how old he is.......weird". I told her 28 and went on with the exam. Thursday came and my fiancée(Jill) and I went to apply for our marriage license. Jill had filled out the form and put my age in the appropriate box. I looked down at it when we got to the counter and I said, "Wait a minute, hon, I'm 28". Okay, more strange looks from both her and the clerk. I thought I was seriously losing my mind. I was already embarrassed! How could I forget my age?? After a while, I actually got my cell phone out, went to the calculator option and did the math,
2004-1976. I was counting on my fingers to make sure I had it right. I looked up and said, "Wait....I am 27! What am I thinking. By that time, the clerk had already changed the box to 28, and then she changed it back to 27. I had two ladies standing there with interesting expressions. It was a very interesting experience, but embarrassing. Of course, Jill had a "field day" with this and teased me for most of the day. After I got over my embarrassment, I laughed pretty hard, too and was even sharing it with other people.

You're probably wondering why I just went into that extended and detailed story. Well, I forgot something that I never thought I would forget! Come on, my age?? How can you not know your age? Well, I did forget and I often forget many other things through the days, weeks, months and years of my life. It's part of being a human being. We don't like to forget, especially when it's something important.

How often do we forget that everything we do in our daily lives should be done for the glory of God? I mean, do we really take the time to consider all that we do during the day and pay close attention to do those things for God and praise Him? I found myself embarrassed and shocked that I forgot something so simple as my age. However, am I shocked and bothered when I forget to give God the glory for things throughout my daily life? I'm sad to say that I don't. I have to realize that every move I make, every word spoken, every place I go, that I'm giving glory to God as I'm going and living out my day.

Why don't we take more time to consider how we give glory to God all through our days? Maybe you are and that's wonderful! I commend you if you're constantly thinking of how to give glory to God in every single thing you do all day. But many of us don't put that into a desired practice and we feel like it's a chore to give glory to God, especially when we're having a bad day. God has given us so much to be thankful for and praise Him for.

Sometimes, we forget. Oh how that must break our Father's heart. How often do we forget? That's a "heart" question each of us must answer individually. It's my prayer that we would make more of an effort to not forget to give glory to our loving Father every moment of our day, through consistent, daily prayer without ceasing as Paul talks about in 1 Thessalonians 5:17(NASB).

Let's not forget to give glory to God due His name for all things.
amen

h2o
[h2o] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2004, 02:48 AM   #42
likes pleasant suprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoted1
Philippians 3:3 (NLT)
For we who worship God in the Spirit are the only ones who are truly circumcised. We put no confidence in human effort. Instead, we boast about what Christ Jesus has done for us.
In the Old Testemant circumcision was an act of seperation. So you can say that this verse is saying that by worshiping God we sperate ourselves from the world, and it says in the Bible (John 4:23) that God searches for true worshippers that worship Him in Spirit and in truth. You may be saying, how are we supposed to seperate from the world when its all around us, or how can we worship God? If you look at the verse Paul is saying, in the last half, that those who worship God will do two things:

1) Put our confidence in Christ as Zach said. A lot of times God is the last person we ask for advice. We talk to our parents, our best friends, our not so good friends, but we fail to ask the One who should be the first and only person we should ask, and that is God. God knows every single aspect of our lives, wouldnt you think He would know best what you should do?
It says in the Bible (Hebrews 11:5) that without faith that it is impossible to please God. By putting our faith in God ("We put no confidence in human effort") we please him and what most people dont realize is that pleasing God is worshipping God.

2) We witness to others what Christ has done in our lives, again as it says in John 4:23, God is looking for worshippers. So it is our job, to find new souls for Christ and train them up to be worshippers of Christ. We can do this by being examples of Christ, and telling others about Jesus. It says in Luke 15:7, that the heavens will rejoice when one sinner repents and comes to know the Lord. As i said before you worship God by pleasing him, and it says that it brings great pleasure to God when a sinner repents.

These are two aspects of worship that we really dont think about. There are many other, but in my opinion these are very important.

Just some of my thoughts after reading the verse...
smhatahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2004, 04:43 PM   #43

No Backing Down

"No Backing Down"
Daniel 3:17-18 (NLT)
If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty. But even if he doesn't, Your Majesty can be sure that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up.

Decisions are around us each and everyday. Some decisions are hard, while others are quite easy. How are we especially at making decisions that will determine our obedience in standing up for what we believe? I'm sure none of us have been thrown into a blazing inferno like Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego, but we still face times of decisions in which it's hard for us to stand up for what is right. As I think of my own life, I can look back and see so many times where I could have stood up firm for Christ, but chose to keep my mouth shut and go along with the crowd. How that must have hurt and broken my Savior's heart.

Sad thing is, really, that many times we don't even flinch after having gone along with the crowd. I honestly don't know what I would have done if I was one of those boys about to be thrown into a furnace. This so much reminds me of the song, "This Is Your Time" by Michael W. Smith. He talks about how Cassie Bernall had a gun to her head and STILL proclaimed her faith and died for her belief in God. The first line of the song says, "It was a test we would all hope to pass, but none of us would want to take......Faced with the choice to deny God or live, but for her there was one choice to make."

Can you look through your past week, months, or even years and remember times you went along with the crowd because standing up firm for your faith would have caused you humiliation or even a severe consequence? It makes me cringe that most of us probably will never face a blazing inferno in which we're threatened to be thrown into for not going along with the crowd, but that we still struggle with humiliation and ridicule. I'm amazed at how Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego displayed their faith in God and went through what could have ended their lives. They decided to obey God, whether or not they would physically die. But God protected them from the fire(which was heated 7 times hotter than normal).

We want to say that we would choose to obey God in a test of this magnitude.......but would we? So maybe the question should really be phrased to each one of us as, "What 'blazing inferno' keeps us from standing up strong for God"?
Unread 02-13-2004, 10:50 PM   #44
TheOldGuy

I would like to be able to say that if I were to be cast into that furnace for Jesus' sake, I could do it. But on the other hand I would have serious doubts if I could stand by and let my wife or my children be thrown in.

I pray that I am never put to that kind of test.
Lord, Let me sing
- Andrew Peterson
Unread 02-17-2004, 11:10 PM   #45

Sole Reliance

"Sole Reliance"
1 Chronicles 16:11 (NIV)
Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.

I'm writing this devotional as many things are on my mind and heart. As most of you know, I'm getting married this Saturday, Feb. 21. After 2PM this Saturday, my life will change forever. I will no longer be single, but married and responsible for a family of my own. While this brings much excitement, enthusiasm and joy, it also brings some concern. The concern I have is that I will be a strong leader in my family. A leader that is grounded in the faith of Jesus Christ. God has been working on my heart these past few months and even more this past month. As the wedding day draws nearer and nearer, God is bringing me through a serious transition. It's a joyous time, but also a deep thinking time. I know that I will be learning a lot about being a husband and how to honor, respect and cherish my wife. I feel so undeserving of what God is giving to me this Saturday. God has blessed me with a love that is beyond what I ever prayed for. Jill was brought into my life March 28, 2003 and I never would have thought God would have brought us on a journey like He has. If I were to share with you all the blessings and growth we have experienced, it would take pages and pages.

Since we have grounded our relationship with Christ, it would seem bizarre to think that I would ever try to manage the marriage on my own strength and ignore God's guidance. However, I believe it would be possible even though we have Christ at the center. No matter how much I desire to be a Godly husband, there will be times when I am tempted to take matters into my own hands and strength and fail to consult with God. I need to make sure that I'm consistent in my walk with Christ, reading His Word, praying and communicating and putting much investment in building a Christ-filled marriage at all times. I don't ever want to take for granted that we have a Christ-filled marriage.

As a single person, I have lost count at the number of times I've tried on my own strength instead of consulting with God. This passage urges us to look to God for our strength and see His face.......ALWAYS. That's the word that sticks out to me the most. If I am to be a Godly husband and leader in my family, I need to seek God's guidance and strength every moment of everyday.

This, however, does NOT just apply to a marriage situation. We, as Children of God, are to constantly seek His face and His guidance. How else are we going to successfully live life? It's not possible. I know that it's challenging for us each day to solely rely on God's strength and not ours. So many temptations and distractions get us to think we can "do life" on our own. We get the attitude that we don't need God's help. Boy, are we sorely mistaken. We all know from experience that this simply does not work effectively. There's a reason we are not perfect and He is. He knows what we don't, so we had better rely completely on Him.

What's ahead in my future as a husband? I have no idea, but I know it's going to be wonderful with Christ as my Savior and the center of my marriage to Jill. There's no other way I would have it be. But I must make the effort and prove those words true in my daily effort to keep Him as center. If I desire to have a healthy Christian marriage relationship, I must be the leader God has called me to be and seek Him in everything. Each one of us, married or not married, should rely on His strength and seek Him non-stop.

I pray the Lord will be your sole reliance through your everyday journey of life.

Tags
www.zwdevotions.com