Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > Site Issues & Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-22-2003, 10:57 PM   #1
AM Radio Music Listening

Send a message via AIM to Unicorn Mustang
The Very Meaning of Our Existence.

Well....not quite the very meaning of our existence (which is to play Warcraft 3, is it not?) But does anyone know where the CGR boards originated? I just found this site looking for tabs, where did it all come from? I'm sure an Admin or a SuperMod should know.

dolls wreck the minced meat of pupils
cast at oblong arms length
the hooks have been picking their scabs
where wolves hide in the company of men

Now I'm lost.
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-22-2003, 11:05 PM   #2
A fan of the lemer[sic]

Send a message via AIM to +Donny
3 million years ago there was a small, fat, odd-looking fish in the bottom of a pool or goo. It burped, created a biological reaction in the goo. It bubbled, releasing a gaseous mist of, well, gas. Anyway, the gas drifting into a dinosaur's nostrils, causing him to sneeze. He hit his head, while sneezing, against a tree, which knocked down a very odd looking bird with glasses (where he got them is entirely another story). Anyway, the bird fell, got mad, and ripped the dinosaur's fingernails off, sticking them in his eyes. The dinosaur got angry also and decided to kill that stupid fish that burped. Off went the dino, nails still in his eyes, to the goo. However, on his way he fell into a larger puddle of tar and died. Thus came CGR.
Unread 06-22-2003, 11:32 PM   #3
Booya Jim

Send a message via AIM to SenorPapaCabasa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
3 million years ago there was a small, fat, odd-looking fish in the bottom of a pool or goo. It burped, created a biological reaction in the goo. It bubbled, releasing a gaseous mist of, well, gas. Anyway, the gas drifting into a dinosaur's nostrils, causing him to sneeze. He hit his head, while sneezing, against a tree, which knocked down a very odd looking bird with glasses (where he got them is entirely another story). Anyway, the bird fell, got mad, and ripped the dinosaur's fingernails off, sticking them in his eyes. The dinosaur got angry also and decided to kill that stupid fish that burped. Off went the dino, nails still in his eyes, to the goo. However, on his way he fell into a larger puddle of tar and died. Thus came CGR.

yes, this is true......but to sum up this story......

Mickey is the owner of the site, he created it about 3 years ago-ish....
Unread 06-23-2003, 12:35 AM   #4
Banned

The huge CGR forums we have today originated from small forums that were created in order to talk about Christian music and the tabs on this site. Other topics of discussion developed and the forums just grew and grew.
Unread 06-23-2003, 02:51 AM   #5

yeah that's pretty much it. it started in Feb of 2001 if i remember right adn its' undergone several changes since that time. even since i joined in may of 01 it's changed several times. new forums have been added, the addition of Sm's and 2 other admins, (brent and luke) plus a big increase in the number of mods...
Unread 06-23-2003, 03:28 PM   #6
Still true to this day...

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Mustang
Well....not quite the very meaning of our existence (which is to play Warcraft 3, is it not?) But does anyone know where the CGR boards originated? I just found this site looking for tabs, where did it all come from? I'm sure an Admin or a SuperMod should know.
CGR originated to fill a need for a good site to provide Christian music tablature. The boards came along with CGR, and essentially grew as the site grew, although now it's arguable that the boards are growing the site and not the other way around (evidence for this being that Theology is larger than General Discussion and Christian Music forums combined).

Grace & Peace
Luke
Unread 06-23-2003, 03:52 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
CGR originated to fill a need for a good site to provide Christian music tablature. The boards came along with CGR, and essentially grew as the site grew, although now it's arguable that the boards are growing the site and not the other way around (evidence for this being that Theology is larger than General Discussion and Christian Music forums combined).

Grace & Peace
Luke
I think it's pretty close to 50/50 now in terms of what is growing the site. I would say that the boards are providing the vast majority of the growth of themselves, but only about half of the growth of the rest of the site. As massive as the boards are, they don't draw nearly as much traffic as the tabs. On any given day, there are between 10,000 and 20,000 visitors to the site. (I can't say for sure, because I have the stat-keeping turned off right now to help with server load - ironic, huh?) On any given day, the message boards get 1000-1500 new posts. While that's a lot of posts, it's not all that many compared to the number of visitors that we have. Once we're on the new server, and I can start collecting stats again, we'll take a look and see.

Mickey
Unread 06-23-2003, 03:57 PM   #8
Still true to this day...

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey
I think it's pretty close to 50/50 now in terms of what is growing the site. I would say that the boards are providing the vast majority of the growth of themselves, but only about half of the growth of the rest of the site. As massive as the boards are, they don't draw nearly as much traffic as the tabs. On any given day, there are between 10,000 and 20,000 visitors to the site. (I can't say for sure, because I have the stat-keeping turned off right now to help with server load - ironic, huh?) On any given day, the message boards get 1000-1500 new posts. While that's a lot of posts, it's not all that many compared to the number of visitors that we have. Once we're on the new server, and I can start collecting stats again, we'll take a look and see.

Mickey
Niiiice

Grace & Peace
Luke
Unread 06-23-2003, 04:05 PM   #9

Here's a look at our site from October 17th, 2000. Attached is a picture of our front page, and a picture of our message boards...
Unread 06-23-2003, 04:06 PM   #10

The front page as of December 4th, 2000...
Unread 06-23-2003, 04:09 PM   #11

April 1st, 2001. I really liked this design. This was just after we became part of the "Beliefnet network". The first month was great, finance-wise. Then the ads went downhill, and Beliefnet eventually declared bankruptcy (although I think they still exist to some degree).

Edit - Nov 11th, 2003 - Adding screen shot of the message boards, which were running vBulletin 2.0.0 RC 2

Last edited by Mickey; 11-07-2003 at 02:43 PM.
Unread 06-23-2003, 04:11 PM   #12

January 21st, 2002. We're no longer with Beliefnet. Also, note the "Last five posts" box on the front of the site. While the message boards were starting to get going, that was the key element that got the registrations and attendance through the roof!

Edit - November 7th, 2003 - Adding a screenshot of the message boards, which were running vBulletin 2.2.1

Last edited by Mickey; 11-07-2003 at 02:49 PM.
Unread 06-23-2003, 04:18 PM   #13

May 31st, 2002. I was never in love with this design (although I'm the one that designed it). However, it looked better than this image gives it credit for, as archive.org didn't save the external CSS file, so the text coloring looks messed up.
Unread 06-23-2003, 04:19 PM   #14

June 23rd, 2003. And here's a shot from today...
Unread 06-24-2003, 12:23 AM   #15
Not Kosher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey
January 21st, 2002....
Also, note the "Last five posts" box on the front of the site.

Why did you get rid of that thing?
Closed Thread