Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-22-2003, 05:13 PM   #1

Finding the right keys to sing in...

well i'm pretty new to singing as im pretty shy when it comes to that so i never really tried much, and never really could. that is up until recently my voice started improving greatly so im really enjoying being able to lead songs on my worship team now and all. anyways im trying to learn as much as i can to improve my singing and knowledge of music in general. now when i learn songs on guitar im conscious of what key im playing it in. before i would just learn it in the key the artist plays it in, but now i try to learn worship songs in keys that are in my range. i don't really know what my range is except that im able to sing most songs well in E, A and G (though some songs in G are a bit of a stretch for me im getting better at it). in my experience so far in transposing to good keys for me i have run into a few obstacles. the biggest one right now is with shane barnard's song "i want it all" (Here's the tab if you want to refer to it http://www.msu.edu/~cogansco/shane/t...titall.crd.txt). the song uses a pretty wide range of chords and the problem im running into while transposing is that either the verse is too low and the chorus ok or the verse is ok and chorus too high. and sometimes both are just out of question. so im looking to improve my theory knowledge as well in this respect and understand why this is. ive been playing guitar for just a year so i still have much to learn. another thing i run into a little bit is being able to sing along to a song on record just fine and hten when i sit down and play it on guitar in the same key it seems slightly out of range compared to singing it with the recording. maybe that's just learning and grasping more skill. but anyways, any help or tips would be greatly apreciated.

ryan3dfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-22-2003, 09:02 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to bossman
Dude, keep it up, I think with practice most of it will come, I'm kinda in the same possition, starting to be able to lead worship and stuff, and finding the right key for my voice, I've been more of a guitar player until now, so my advise for the song would be for finding the right chords is just try every form of that cord that is "suppose" to fit in the place your trying, also I know Shane Bernard uses lots of capos and lots of stuff to confuse things, so maybe expierement with a capo if you have one. Anyway, I hope this helped, Scott
Unread 06-27-2003, 07:29 PM   #3
seeking God

well, the question isn't what key you can sing in as much as how high you can sing. i myself can sing to an F# above middle C in full voice on a good day, and i can get a C or D above that using head voice.

however, when leading worship, i use the rule of C. don't let the melody of a song go higher than middle C. this rule can be bent, if the notes are short and infrequent, and the song is at the end of the worship set. but on a sunday morning, you can't expect the average person to be able to sing above a C.

as for solo singing, find out what your comfortable range is by singing up and down scales, and then figure out the range of the song. you may run into range problems. for example, the star spangled banner requires a fairly large range to sing well. it really can't be avoided for most people that they will hit the top or bottom of their range.

help any? questions? lemme know.
David
Unread 07-05-2003, 05:19 PM   #4

thanks alot for all the info. i dont want to sound stupid, but i guess you have to sometimes when you want to learn right? anyways what would i do to sing up and down scales? like along with my guitar or what?
ryan3dfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2003, 08:54 PM   #5
seeking God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan3dfan
thanks alot for all the info. i dont want to sound stupid, but i guess you have to sometimes when you want to learn right? anyways what would i do to sing up and down scales? like along with my guitar or what?

i'd share some times on these boards where i was completely wrong/ignorant, but i've blocked them from memory. (or see the thread "falsetto" in this very forum )
i'm here to answer questions, so the answer is....

YOU ARE RIGHT!
the best way to find your range is to sing up and down a scale. theres other ways a professional voice instructor might use, but a scale will work for yours or my purposes, really.

you'll wanna warm up first. just sing a bunch of songs that don't hurt your voice.
so anyway...start in maybe the key of G. play a G (just the note) on your guitar, and sing up the major scale from there. you should easily get a full octave without switching into any head voice(ask if you have questions about head voice, or see the thread where i was wrong about something)

after that, go to the A scale. then the B. then the C. then the D. and keep going, until you find you voice "switching over" into head voice. thats the break in your range.

after that, sing through the song you're working with no capo on. when you get to high notes in the song vocally, remember what note they are. those are your reference points.

so lets say the song goes up to a G with no capo on. if your range goes up to a D before your break, you could capo 4 or so, and not have any problems, because the song would then go up to a C, and it would prolly be in the sweet spot of your range.

that made sense to me. did it make sense to you? i doubt it, because i ramble and don't think about what i'm saying. so ask more questions, and assume its me thats silly, not you.

in Christ,
David