Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-21-2003, 08:18 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to JesusFreak04
Choral Conducting

Hey guys....
I love to sing, but I am not in choir. I am in band. Anyway There are certain patterns we have in band when we conduct, depending on the time signature. I was wondering how do Choral Conductors conduct, what are some techniques that mean certain things, how do you control the sop, altos, tenors and basses at once?? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unread 08-08-2003, 08:53 PM   #2
seeking God

i'm not a choral conductor, but i sing in choir, and play in band, so heres what i can tell you.

choir conductors generally keep time in a similar manner to band director.
choral conductors generally don't use a baton, and conduct in a smoother manner, mostly because choral music doesn't have the sharp edges band music can have.

as for cueing sections, they would cue the tenors just like you'd cue the trumpets (those are good sections ) in choir the director is more likely to give you a prep cue of sorts, so you know a change in the music is coming, especially if the choir isn't using music.

i think the relationship between director and vocalist is more intimate than that between director and instrumentalist, but i can't really explain why. maybe its because in a choir, you can't get by by listening to the band for the beat, like you can in band. In choir, you have complete dependence on the director. kinda cool.