Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Christian Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-06-2003, 09:34 AM   #16

I think they have at least one or two more CDs left in them, if not more. I believe AtlasShrugs said it best, "if they're still putting out quality matrial, why stop?"

Unread 08-17-2003, 07:31 AM   #17
Sojourner
Administrator

Changes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugga Please
and they arnt really known to change styles or try different things out (or drastically different).
The Newsboys don't change? That's really not quite accurate, but some of you may have never heard "Read All About It", Boys Will Be Boys" or "Hell Is For Wimps". Wanna hear a totally different band? Check out those albums. (BTW, they really are not that good, so I would advise you not to waste too much time in doing so)
"Not Ashamed" and "Going Public" don't sound anything at all like the first three, thanks in part to Steve Taylor's invovlvement, and "Take Me To Your Leader" was a huge change for them as well. I think the reason they have maintained a consistant sound over the last few years is because they've actually kept the same line-up. Whenever a group changes members, the sound of the group changes as well. The Newsboys never put out an album with the same line-up until "Step Up To The Microphone" and "Love, Liberty, Disco".
Another reason I believe bands, not just the Newsboys, don't make drastic changes is the simple fact that the fans would not like it. Remember the remix album? It didn't sell very well if I remember correctly. If Peter suddenly started writing country songs, do you think Newsboys fans would want to hear them on a Newsboys album? I wouldn't.
I think that as long as those guys feel God telling them to keep on, they'll do it. Falling record sales, lack of popularity, I don't think they worry too much about those kinds of things. I really believe they try to follow God's direction, and as long as they do that, they'll be okay.

Last edited by Leboman; 08-17-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2003, 10:56 AM   #18

I don't think that they don't change because the fans don't like it. They themselves don't feel like they should change.

~Jon
Jonular is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 08:39 PM   #19
Caughtinthetension

I hope the Newsboys don't quit! They are an awesome group, and they've got really great songs. In fact, I think they've gotten better in the past few years.
DavidR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2019, 09:26 AM   #20
Sojourner
Administrator

In four days I will celebrate sixteen years here on CGR. My first post is in this thread.

So, the question remains after all these years: should the Newsboys call it quits?

What say ye?

Unread 08-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #21
My name is Oliver Queen.

paid
Are there even any original members left?

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - Line 6 Helix, POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2019, 07:06 AM   #22
Sojourner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
Are there even any original members left?
Now that Peter is back...yes. Interestingly enough, the original line-up had already split by the time the first official album came out in 1988.

Jody joined the band in 1992, left in 2003, but came back in 2009.
Duncan joined the band in 1993.
Jeff joined the band in 1994.
Phil joined the band in 1994, left in 2006, but came back last year.
Michael joined the band in 2009.

Jody, Duncan, and Jeff were all in the band when they released Going Public in 1994. Phil joined after the album was released.

John James was only in the band for eleven years.

Of course, I'm not sure if Newsboys and Newsboys United are legally the same entity. There may be a distinction between the two.

In answer to the actual question, they (collectively) celebrated 10 million album sales last year. I guess that says something.

Last edited by Leboman; 08-14-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Unread 08-14-2019, 09:04 AM   #23
Deets Go Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
Of course, I'm not sure if Newsboys and Newsboys United are legally the same entity. There may be a distinction between the two.
I believe they are two entities as you see them performing and marketing under both brands. United has Phil and Peter and the non-United doesn't. That's just my opinion. I suppose we could scour the internet trying to find the answers, but honestly, it doesn't matter that much to me to justify my time.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
I would throw any bro under the bus for a Cheeto. Or a ho for that matter.

Not like a ho ho, mind you. Like a godly ho.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #24
Sojourner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan007 View Post
I believe they are two entities as you see them performing and marketing under both brands. United has Phil and Peter and the non-United doesn't. That's just my opinion. I suppose we could scour the internet trying to find the answers, but honestly, it doesn't matter that much to me to justify my time.

Same here.

I do know that when we went to the Newsboys United show last year you could sponsor a child and meet the band. We did. When we met the band (VERY BRIEFLY) it was just the four guys in the "current" line-up.
Unread 08-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #25
Sojourner
Administrator

As I've been doing research for my blog posts, I was amazed to see that Born Again debuted on the Billboard Top 200 at number four. That is the highest position in their career. What's most surprising is that they only had to sell 45,000 copies to reach number four.
Unread 08-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #26
Deets Go Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
As I've been doing research for my blog posts, I was amazed to see that Born Again debuted on the Billboard Top 200 at number four. That is the highest position in their career. What's most surprising is that they only had to sell 45,000 copies to reach number four.
I think that has to do with the fact that people are buying less and less music. Streaming has killed the music sales.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
I would throw any bro under the bus for a Cheeto. Or a ho for that matter.

Not like a ho ho, mind you. Like a godly ho.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #27
Sojourner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan007 View Post
I think that has to do with the fact that people are buying less and less music. Streaming has killed the music sales.
True that.

One thing I have realized this week as I've listened these songs over and over; the Tait version is not bad. It's different but not bad.

Also, Into The Hands Of God is a pretty solid album. I pretty much ignored it when it came out.

Last edited by Leboman; 08-17-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Unread 08-17-2019, 09:07 AM   #28
Sojourner
Administrator

Sixteen years after making my first CGR post right here in this very thread, I am STILL talking about the Newsboys. I just finished a three part blog retrospective of their career. That meant I have pretty much listened to nothing but Newsboys for a week now.

The Great Newsboys Experiment

Part One
Part Two
Part Three