Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-23-2003, 08:43 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to lopar
Smile sight reading

heya... I was just wondering what you guys think can be done about improving sight reading.. i'm not talking about down to guitar and piano (which i also need work on, but i can get around,) but being able to hear or vocalize sheet music, even if only on a relative pitch. I can kinda do it on single interval runs, but i have trouble when anything separates..

any ideas/exercises?

lopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-24-2003, 05:26 PM   #2
The Chameleon

Send a message via AIM to Shredcheddar
Well, I'm just starting to learn to read music after 19 months or so of guitar, but I can tell you what will help in any case.

If you practice scat-singing along to scales (playing and singing the same note simultaneously), as well as humming different intervals starting with an octave, to a minor 2nd, to a major 2nd, to a minor 3rd, to a major 3rd, to a 4th, to an augmented 4th/diminished 5th, etc......excercises like these will naturally help your ear develop, and should help with sight reading. However, you should probably troubleshoot the problem directly, but since I don't have anything for you, you can scat-sing in the meantime. It's good to know anyway.

BTW, Nate , is that the correct terminology for a half-step interval--a minor 2nd? If you would point out any mistakes I made in terminology, just so I'll know .
Unread 05-24-2003, 08:18 PM   #3
A Random Guy

Send a message via AIM to R2D2
The ability to sing something based off the written music is called sight singing. It's one of the most important skills any musician should have, but for some reason, most people neglect it entirely. It's very good that you've being proactive about it.

The way to start is to learn your intervals. Learn what a perfect 5th sounds like, both as a melodic and a harmonic interval. Learn what an minor 7th, a major 3rd, etc sounds like. A great tool for that is a fantastic website - check out http://www.good-ear.com/.

After you've started learning your intervals, start applying it to sight singing. Using solfege properly can seem silly at first, but it really is important and does help. I'd recommend that you use a book to guide you through it, such as "Listen and Sing" by David A. Damschrode, which is available here for about $30.

As you practice your sight singing, it's also important to practice dictation as well. Dictation is sight singing in reverse; rather than being given sheet music and having to sing it, a phrase is played for you, and you have to write it down and notate it properly. The two skills go hand-in-hand and are equally important.

And yes, Travis, the correct term for a half-step interval is a minor 2nd, as long as the notes occur on two different letter names (i.e. F# to G). If the notes occur on the same letter name (i.e. Gb to G) then it would be called an augmented 1st.
Unread 05-24-2003, 09:30 PM   #4
seeking God

for reading vocal music on paper, my best method is usually identifying notes by their melody number in the scale.
in the key of C:
C-1
D-2
E-3
F-4
G-5
A-6
B-7
C-1

from thinking of it that way, you can think the intervals between notes really well. it works. if this is as vague as it seems to me, let me know and i'll explain more when i'm not tired.
Unread 05-25-2003, 10:46 AM   #5
A Random Guy

Send a message via AIM to R2D2
That works, but I'd recommend you use solfege instead. It's what other musicians use and will allow you to communicate better with them. Besides, once you start adding accidentals, you'd have to sing something like "flat three" rather than "me." Solfege generally works better.

And to whoever moved this...I actually think this belongs more in the music theory/how to section. Sight singing and dication is something you do in music theory classes and not so much vocal classes. The point is to develop your ear, not to learn to sing well.
Unread 05-25-2003, 08:18 PM   #6
seeking God

Quote:
Originally posted by R2D2
That works, but I'd recommend you use solfege instead. It's what other musicians use and will allow you to communicate better with them. Besides, once you start adding accidentals, you'd have to sing something like "flat three" rather than "me." Solfege generally works better.
yes, solfege does work better. definately agreed. numbers are an easier substitution for us mere mortals (or something like that)
i still don't know my solfege well enough to sing on it entirely.

Quote:
And to whoever moved this...I actually think this belongs more in the music theory/how to section. Sight singing and dication is something you do in music theory classes and not so much vocal classes. The point is to develop your ear, not to learn to sing well.
i thought it belonged in the vocals area, because the question wasn't about sight reading instrumental music, it was about singing. i thought the choral folks in the vocals forum could help out on this substantially. the music theory aspect of dicerning intervals in a piece of the greater vocal sight singing puzzle.

if a mod in vocals thinks i'm drastically wrong, feel free to zap it back to music theory/how to