Allergies and other fun things

How do allergies affect singing?

tropicana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-09-2003, 11:36 PM   #2

Probobally the same way a cold does lol :ksad:

Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2003, 01:29 AM   #3

yeah tha's what i'd think. because allergies can at times be mistaken for a cold because of the similarities to each other.
GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2003, 02:08 AM   #4
Dominating with an SKS!

Send a message via AIM to MusicalDragon84
allergies affect singing the same way that a stuffed nose and sore throat from a cold do. I am a singer and have bad allergies. I have problems with my throat closing off and my nose plugging up so that I can't breathe properly.
I would suggest using a nose spray if you have the nasal issues that most peeps with allergies do. I also suggest using hot water and lemon for the sore throat issues.
In no time you will be as good as new and allergy season will end someday soon. Good luck with your singing.
:kangel:

Musical Dragon

Each person is allowed their own opinion.

*Living for God is all that Matters*

MusicalDragon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2003, 05:48 AM   #5
I-IV-V

You probably already know this, but don't! sing if you are hoarse. All that junk in your nose drips down onto your vocal cords and makes them swell up, so they are more easily injured, and besides - you won't sound good anyway.

I think I have some sort of allergies as well, because I always get colds around this time. What I did was I just stopped singing, and worked on breathing until the hoarseness and cold went away, and then slowly started back into singing until I was used to it again. (I almost passed out at my first lesson back in about 3 weeks)
Unread 05-11-2003, 01:52 PM   #6
seeking God

allergies stink.

i had really bad ones a couple weeks ago. i was using allergy medication, allegra i think, but it was drying up my vocal really badly, so i had to stop taking it, and suffer through allergies. kinda stunk.
Unread 05-13-2003, 12:25 AM   #7
Preggers with Baby # 2!!

Send a message via AIM to Singin4Him82 Send a message via MSN to Singin4Him82
If your throat is scratchy or you are losing your voice it is most likely a bad idea to be singing or attempting to. However, if it's just the sinus stuff you've got goin on there is not a thing in the world wrong with singing through it, in fact by singing correctly you can actually losen up that stuff and make it better(sounds gross I know but my vocal instructor always encouraged that and it actually helped a lot). Also, drink lots of water and hot tea with lemon and honey and that can help things as well.

Be careful with the type of meds you take because anything for allergies over the counter will dry you out and make that scratchy throat much worse. I go to a special ear, nose and throat doc that works with professional singers and he has given me this miracle drug called "liquibid" and instead of drying you out it actually creates a very nice smooth feeling yet it clears up your congestion right away. It's awesome!! You can get it at your family phsycian I'm sure.

Singin4Him82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2003, 07:50 AM   #8
Not Kosher.

Well, I was at ban practise, and I tried my hand (voice?) at singing. I was on pitch, it didn't hurt, but I sounded kind of nasal.
tropicana is offline   Reply With Quote