Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-19-2003, 09:41 AM   #1

First electric?

This may be an oft-asked question or one that's trite, but... I have a nice Washbourne acoustic already, and I'm looking to buy an electric, without paying more than four or five hundred dollars for guitar and amp together. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot, all.

Bigless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-19-2003, 10:33 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
What sort of music do you play? Who are some guitarists you want to sound like? Do you just plan on practicing in your room or are you looking to do some serious giging?

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2003, 10:36 AM   #3

I like mild metal, James Byrd and the like. I'd rather not sound like anyone in particular, but just... play guitar. I plan to mainly be practicing by myself, as I'm not nearly skilled enough to play for money. If I was, I'd have a much higher budget. :ktongue:
Unread 04-19-2003, 10:57 AM   #4

You'll probably want a guitar with humbuckers then. Are you thinking about eventually playing shows? If so you might want to spend more money on the guitar and less on the amp. Then you'd just need to get or borrow a better amp when you wanted to start playing shows.

Unread 04-19-2003, 11:00 AM   #5

I'm quite uninterested in damaging my ears through loudness or any particular tone, so I'm definitely going to get the cheapest amp I can, right now that's about $109. Any recommendations otherwise in terms of guitars? I'm looking at cheap clones of Stratocasters right now.
Unread 04-19-2003, 11:15 AM   #6

You can get Squier Strats for under $200. I'm not a big fan of those though. There is a recent thread about them. You also might want to look into actual Strats. I found my Tex-Mex Strat for $300 at a Guitar Store. They aren't usually much more than that.

Also might want to checkout the Epiphone Special series. I know several people with Epiphone LP Specials and a good friend of mine still uses his SG Special and he's playing all sorts of gigs downtown.

My first guitar "real" guitar was a ESP LTD M-50. I got mine for about $200. It was a fairly good deal. ESPs are generally known as metal guitars. You might want to check those out too.

The best guitar I have I purchased through musicians friend kind of on a whim. I saw they had a sale on EPIPHONE Explorers for $150. Normally the list price for those is $500. It plays great, stays in tune and you really look like a freak'n rock star when you play an Explorer. But I really can't recommend getting an explorer as your first electric.

I'd suggest getting a few more people suggestions and then going to a large guitar store and just trying all the suggestions out and then just play some others too.

Unread 04-19-2003, 11:19 AM   #7

Thank you. I've been looking at guitars at the store where I take lessons... still haven't fell in love with any of them, though. There isn't a real big selection there, but I think it'll be sufficient for me to find something.
Unread 04-19-2003, 12:54 PM   #8

Oh, and I don't just like metal - I often play around with minor pentatonic blues, and general randomness.
Unread 04-20-2003, 12:30 AM   #9

i'd look into the standard fenter strats but also look into some of the lower end RG series ibanez guitars. i tried an Rg 350 i think it was adn it actually wasn't a half bad guitar. i'm going to be higher on the price list but it wasn't a bad guitar...
GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2003, 07:04 AM   #10
time to sanitize

Send a message via AIM to jude
Try a Schecter Omen 6
it's around 300
it's versatile
has two humbuckers
it's nice.
some strat similarities

If we are out of our minds, it is for the sake of Christ."- St. Paul

You are my joy in sadness
peace in madness
everything's backwards with You
Love in trial
cry then smile
i know that this much is true
i love You
jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2003, 03:41 PM   #11
Swan41

Talking Iceman

Iceman, I got it as my first electric, its got humbuckers, its got good action, it looks shweet, um.... its perfect, Ibanez Iceman, I love mine
Unread 04-30-2003, 05:13 PM   #12

Go to a good guitar store you trust and shop for a used electric guitar.

Some years ago, I did just that and bought a used Gibson ES-335 for $595. It turned out to be the first and last electric guitar I bought -- still use it in the worship band.
everyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2003, 01:57 AM   #13

es series? is that the style that's in your avvy? i dont recognise that right off the top of my head.
GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2003, 05:42 AM   #14
Unr

Regardless of what guitar you get, if you're only going to get a $109 amp, then your guitar is going to sound like $109. I've been down that road.

Spend a little extra on an amp at least 25 to 30 watts to start with in order to get a wider range in sound that your can dial in. Just because you have a bigger amp doesn't mean you have to damage your hearing. But if you are going play anywhere larger than you bathroom 10 to 15 watts won't do it.

The best inexpensive guitar now is the Squier Affinity Special's limited editions. Remember "limited editions". Maple neck, diecast tuners etc. You can see what I'm talking about at Guitar Trader .com. They are several views of the guitars showing all the hardware.

To get a wider range of tone you may want to go with a Fat Strat. Stay away from the Affinity series here. Either check out the Standard Squier Fat Strat or jump to the Fender Fat Strat. With the Fender version you will jump in price to over $400. Better yet, go to a music store, tell them what your looking for and try a lot of different guitar and amp combos, and stay away from web sites like these where everyone thinks they no what they are talking about.
Unread 05-01-2003, 10:40 AM   #15

Heh, thanks.

Doesn't that last include you?