Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-23-2003, 09:42 PM   #91

Now that's a loaded question....:-)

Thanks MC for the compliment. The short answer to that question is that I used a guitar....hehe, sorry, I couldn't resist.

The little longer answer is that I used an old Yamaha RGX110 (About 15 years old) that is highly modified. It's a 24 fret neck with all stock hardware out and a Seymore Duncan in the bridge location (forget which model though)and I routed a cavity for a neck pickup and added an EMG from an old Zion Guitar (Zion OEM'd thier signature pickups from EMG) that was a friend of mines. I used Elixir .009 strings and my processor is a Digitech RP7 Valve that is about 4 years old. That's all as far as guitar equipment is concerned, believe it or not.

But the real trick in the sound of the solo is in how I recorded it. That process is a little longer of a description and maybe more than you want to know. If anyone is interested, I can followup this post with one about my recording setup.

Thanks for listening and God Bless

Mick

MicFarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-23-2003, 10:12 PM   #92
Wingnut

Send a message via AIM to Guitar MC
I AM interesed if you can share a little bit.
Guitar MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2003, 11:03 PM   #93

You asked for it....

Hey MC,

To me, the trick to the sound of that solo is in the overlaying of the solo and rhythm parts.

I use Cool Edit Pro 2 on the computer that I use for recording and once I'm ready to lay the final guitar parts, I usually arm a track and record a rhythm part straight through, mistakes and all. I do this untill I have 3 or 4 good parts. (Usually about a dozen takes) Once I have at least 2 and usually more, I clean them up and, with them on seperate tracks, send them left and right of center in order to free up the middle for vocals. I may also tweak with the EQ a tad bit to add another layer of texture. Since no note or chord is ever played the same way twice, this process usually fattens up the sound a bit, giving a natual chorus type effect that can't be duplicated any other way.

Same goes for solo's. I will write the solo and get it tight and then start cutting it. I will end up with many takes and from there, use the ones that are the best. (For the record, no cut and pasting in the solos. All are real time actual takes)

For the clip you heard, there are 4 rhythm tracks. Two hard left and one 40% right and the other at 50% right. Note that these are all individual takes, not cut and pasted tracks. For the solo's, there are 4 takes for them as well. (If you listen close, you can hear different timings on the last note pull aways in a couple of spots) One hard left, one hard right and for the other 2 I am panning them left and right, randomly. They criss-cross each other once or twice and you really can't hear it as far as seperating it in the mix is concerened, but in a wide stereo mix, you can sense a little movement in the solo that's hard to pinpoint. Actually, I have thought of taking out those last 2 because it's so hard to hear the effect.

Anyway, that's a little insight into what I did as far as the recording is concerened. I'm sure that it sounds like overkill, and it might be, but in one evening, I cut all these parts. To me it's worth it to get the fat wide sound.

Thanks and God Bless,

Mick
Unread 04-23-2003, 11:14 PM   #94
Wingnut

Send a message via AIM to Guitar MC
Re: You asked for it....

The effort was definatly worth it. I am going to have to try that next time my band records. I could tell that somthing was going on there but i thougt it was a little delay or somthing. I also thought that this was a studio job and not a cool edit. Once again, great job!

-Trey
Guitar MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2003, 11:22 PM   #95
FTS
Something

Yeah I could definately hear that over tracking.
Sounded cool
FTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2003, 01:48 AM   #96

man MF that's great...

got some good sound. i can tell that's not the cutting edge but it's still cool.
GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2003, 05:07 AM   #97
The Chameleon

Send a message via AIM to Shredcheddar
Hey MicFarlow,

There's something I really like about that solo . It's really great, man.
Unread 04-24-2003, 07:26 AM   #98

A little more insight....

Quote:
Originally posted by GMartin2R
man MF that's great...

got some good sound. i can tell that's not the cutting edge but it's still cool.
Hello all,

Here is yet another insight to the overall sound of the solo and GMartin unwittingly hit the nail on the head. The name of our band is Vyntage and we are going after the 80's and sometimes 70's sound.

It seems that right now, there are no CCM bands out there with that sound and being a child of the 80's as far as influence in my playing style and sound, it was a natural fit for us to go after that.

So GMartin, Thanks for the affirmation of our intent and to all of you Thanks very much for the very kind comments.

Mick
Unread 04-26-2003, 07:50 PM   #99
My famlily

Ok boys and girls, were getting down to the last 24 hours. I hoped that more people would have entered by this time, but oh well maybe next time. I think the next time we do this will see if one of the admins can put an anouncement on the top of every forum or something like that just to let others know that this is happening. I don't think too many people knew about this.
Unread 04-26-2003, 11:47 PM   #100
MISTER agreeable to you.

Alright, I added an entry.

I originally dismissed the whole idea as being pretty juvenile. I'm not much into contests. But listening to all the entries reminded me that it's actually kind of cool to be able to associate the names with a sound. And what, fundamentally, is the big difference with something like a game of Monopoly or Age of Empires among friends, and a guitar solo competition? Probably a lot, actually, but the point is at the end of each someone will be declared a winner, and I don't consider participating in those as being bad for the soul.

So I figured I'd record something. As a rule I'm a hopeless perfectionist and I wouldn't let anything with any mistakes out the door, but that sort of pride is exactly why I thought a solo competition would be bad in the first place. So here's the best of two or three takes.

Also, I'm really not into the whole shredding thing at all, but if this is any indication, I tend to lean towards the following two rules when pressed for time:
1. Cram as many notes, however misplaced and inapropriate as they may be into your solo.
2. Play something with a sort of ominous, psuedo-egyptian vibe and openly rip off the overture from "Prince of Egypt."

The mic placement was sort of bad, too. I wish you all could come into my living room and hear my amp. It sounds so sweet.

I guess it's hard to exclude participants from actually voting, but here's an idea, just to keep everyone humble:
Have an "I am a participant and am not voting" entry in the voting thread. We'll use the "honor system" and say that we should all vote for that one, and if it has the same number of votes as participants we'll know none of use voted for ourselves.

(And if it doesn't add up we'll know one (or more) of us is a jerk. )
MisterAgreeable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2003, 05:55 AM   #101
My famlily

I've said all along that all participants should use humility when exercising their vote. If they know someone else's entry is better than there's, than by all means vote for that entry. I guess will soon see how this all plays out.
Unread 04-27-2003, 09:32 PM   #102
This one is for you

Send a message via AIM to Daniel Horney Send a message via MSN to Daniel Horney
hey, micfarlow....is your band playing at the cinco de mayo think in high point this weekend?
Unread 04-28-2003, 12:52 AM   #103

maybe i missed this somewhere but how long is the poll going to be open for?
GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2003, 08:12 PM   #104
Guitars are cool

So, when's the next contest going to be? I wanted to get in on this one, but alas, I'm still limited to a tape deck... grr... Anyways, just wondering if there's a date in mind for another one...
Unread 04-29-2003, 03:48 PM   #105
My famlily

Quote:
Originally posted by GMartin2R
maybe i missed this somewhere but how long is the poll going to be open for?
Sorry, I forgot to put that in the thread. It will be open until Sunday May 4, 10:00 pm est.
Quote:
Originally posted by MJ_Avalanche
So, when's the next contest going to be?
I don't know when the next one will be. I don't want this to be every week or it will get old real quick. Hopefully this one will go off with out a hitch, so far so good.