Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-23-2003, 12:51 PM   #1

Question Guitars

i'm a newbie with guitars and i was just wondering if there were any guitars made for people with small fingers?

unixman217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-23-2003, 01:12 PM   #2
seeking God

umm...look for guitars with smaller scale lengths.
alot of companies make 3/4 or even 1/2 sized guitars that have shorter scale lengths.
check out stuff like
work on find stregnth though, this will help alot. and beyond that, 90% playing, unless you have really really small hands, hand size doesn't matter. so don't worry about it too much.
if you feel like hand size is a problem, look at some of the nicer miniature guitars...i 'm partial, but taylor makes some pretty good ones, in the $400 range.
Unread 03-23-2003, 02:58 PM   #3

thanks for the info
unixman217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2003, 03:00 PM   #4
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

i have small hands too..but something to remember as a new player is that you need time to develop the ability to stretch your fingers out more and to build strength in them..it's kinda like a sport in the way that you need to physicall training as well, so the more you play the stronger you'll get and more flexible..
for smaller guitars:

a taylor 'baby' (aka baby taylor) is a great little guitar.

larrivee parlor is anothe excellent guitar, although the fret spacing isn't as narrow as the baby taylor the size is still small.

fender makes a smaller 'travel guitar' can't remember the model number...
gg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2003, 03:17 PM   #5

if when you say you have small hands, you really mean you have short fingers. I would look at carvin guitars, and jackson guitars, and Ibanez guitars, they all have really thin necks so you can get your hand around them easier, thus being able to play faster and hit all the strings easier.
TomfromIllinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2003, 03:30 PM   #6
seeking God

Quote:
Originally posted by TomfromIllinois
if when you say you have small hands, you really mean you have short fingers. I would look at carvin guitars, and jackson guitars, and Ibanez guitars, they all have really thin necks so you can get your hand around them easier, thus being able to play faster and hit all the strings easier.
thats definately good advice for what to look for on electric guitars, but acoustic necks don't vary like that...usually
Unread 03-23-2003, 10:17 PM   #7
gg7

tom,
who is the girl in your avatar? i had assumed you were a guy with the name 'tom'..i'm confused lol...

--
actually, acoustic guitar necks vary as well in size and shape.
some guitar like taylors and carvin are easier on the hands than some others..but then there's ovations, and they feel more like some electric guitars than acoustics...

Last edited by gg7; 03-23-2003 at 10:20 PM.
Unread 03-23-2003, 10:25 PM   #8
seeking God

yeah, i guess acoustics do vary. silly me. it just semed to me in guitar shopping that most necks were about 1 3/4 inch wide, for steel string acoustics.

i guess neck height? could vary a little more.

what is the bigger issue for people with small hands? i have big hands so i don't know
is it harder to get your hand around the neck or to reach fret to fret?
Unread 03-24-2003, 01:30 AM   #9
gg7

for me the bigger issue is trying to reach to different frets...
i actually have one acoustic with about the thickest neck i've ever seen on a guitar and don't have trouble holding the neck...
Unread 03-24-2003, 10:08 AM   #10
seeking God

Quote:
Originally posted by gg7
for me the bigger issue is trying to reach to different frets...
i actually have one acoustic with about the thickest neck i've ever seen on a guitar and don't have trouble holding the neck...
what do you have??
Unread 03-24-2003, 12:47 PM   #11
gg7

the guitar with the big neck i'm talking about is a charvel 625C which is out of production. they're not the best sounding acoustics, but they sound alright and are VERY tough.
it's not that the neck is wide at the top (it's not) just the thickness of it, very rounded on the back of the neck.
Unread 03-24-2003, 01:22 PM   #12
Spoken For

Send a message via AIM to Awzmgd117
yeah consider if you have small hands or short fingers, small hands you'll have a hard time reaching around the neck etc, short fingers you'll just find some stretches a bit tough,
with small hands you may have to look at some different guitars but short fingers can be worked out with some effort and creativity, for example stretching excercises when i started i found stuff to be hard to play that required using my pinky (like playing a note at the 5th fret with 1st finger and then 8th fret wiht pinky on one string) and i don't even have that short of fingers now i hit 2 octaves without to much effort so just practice and be patient also remeber its all about notes just meaning that there is more than one way to play something if one way is hard for now try another until your hands get stronger
:kcool:

Life and Love and Why

Yes, yet another Blog
Awzmgd117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 03:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by gg7
tom,
who is the girl in your avatar? i had assumed you were a guy with the name 'tom'..i'm confused lol...
it's "katie(thats me" in my picture, yes I am a guy
TomfromIllinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 11:19 PM   #14
gg7

Quote:
Originally posted by TomfromIllinois
it's "katie(thats me" in my picture, yes I am a guy
okay, that brings up another question then...why do you have her pic on your avatar? heh...
i think i vaguely remember seeing her name on here sometime in the past..
Unread 03-25-2003, 12:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by gg7
okay, that brings up another question then...why do you have her pic on your avatar? heh...
i think i vaguely remember seeing her name on here sometime in the past..
those two have been carrying on a rather im like convo in her blog. the two avatars of her that are floating around here are people who commonly fill up her blog.:kyep:
GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote